letter to my dad...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I have forgiven but I haven't forgotten. I'd love to put him in his place, but I know that wouldn't resolve anything. I'm not going to stoop to his level.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Lissa said:
He's definitely changed. Still a stubborn ass at times, but he doesn't drink anymore and he isn't as condescending as he used to be. I won't let him be condescending to me anymore. When I was little I didn't have the power to fight back. Now I do.
If that is the case, he may be open to hear what you have to say and it will most likely be painful for him. You must prepare yourself for any response though. There is no way to tell what a person's reaction may be. The only way, I finally got closure what to confront my dad. Luckily in my case it worked out for the best and we have a pretty good relationship now.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I have been struggling many many years because of him. If I got a response that was more than 3 words, I think things could change.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Lissa said:
I have been struggling many many years because of him. If I got a response that was more than 3 words, I think things could change.
Lissa, just so you know, I am only trying to help, and have been through a very similar situation, and it worked out wonderfully for everyone involved.

I still stick by what I said in my first post.

There are a few good ways to handle this situation, and a million wrong ones.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Music-dad said:
Start slow, it may take a few letters...be the bigger person here and simply open the lines of communication in your first letter, and feel out the response accordingly.

I did this with my Dad in my early 20's, and now we're best friends.
Tell me then how do I tactfully bring up the past? How do I tactfully address situations that occurred in which there was no tact? I'm not going to put a bullet in his head through my pen. I'm going to tell him what I remember. Tell him how it made me feel. Ask him why he said and did the things he did. I think I deserve that. He needs to know that I still hurt because of him. He needs to know that my issues stem from him. How do you do that without blaming? Or maybe he needs to take the blame. He screwed up. I'm not sure if he's even aware of that.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I personally didn't use much tact in my situation, I just told it as it was. I felt that I deserved that much.

IMHO, I'm not sure you have forgiven him, and I'm not sure you can until you can release your feelings.

As much as I hope for a positive outcome for you, there really is no way to tell until it's done. I had a therapist at the time advise me against confronting my dad, she didn't think I was ready if the outcome went bad. I went against her advice. It really is a delicate situation.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
HappyMomma said:
As much as I hope for a positive outcome for you, there really is no way to tell until it's done. I had a therapist at the time advise me against confronting my dad, she didn't think I was ready if the outcome went bad. I went against her advice. It really is a delicate situation.
I'm going to take the letter with me to my counseling appointment today. We'll see what she says.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Lissa said:
This is why:

Forgiveness is the mental and/or spiritual process of ceasing to feel resentment, indignation or anger against another person for a perceived offense, difference or mistake, or ceasing to demand punishment or restitution.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
Put the letter away. Move on. Don't waste anymore time on the man that apparently didn't want to be a positive influence in your life. I have no idea what happened but he's holding you back. He still has control over you.

What doesn't kill us makes us stronger, right? You can be a better person from your experience and move on or you can dwell. Sometimes being the victim can be tiring.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Lissa said:
Tell me then how do I tactfully bring up the past? How do I tactfully address situations that occurred in which there was no tact? I'm not going to put a bullet in his head through my pen. I'm going to tell him what I remember. Tell him how it made me feel. Ask him why he said and did the things he did. I think I deserve that. He needs to know that I still hurt because of him. He needs to know that my issues stem from him. How do you do that without blaming? Or maybe he needs to take the blame. He screwed up. I'm not sure if he's even aware of that.
It's not just telling him how I feel. I want a response. A THOROUGH response. But I don't want to set myself up for disappointment, you know?
You may deserve a thorough explanation, apology, and acknowledgment of how his actions have had long-term consequences. But it sounds like you are placing a lot of expectations on a person who has repeatedly failed you in the past. Has he changed so much that he will not disappoint you again?

I think showing the letter to your therapist is a great idea. Even if you don't send it, perhaps just writing it and talking about it will help. I've been in a similar situation and finally had to just let it go. But it took a long time and a lot of hurt to get there. I hope you find peace sooner. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Ari2 said:
You may deserve a thorough explanation, apology, and acknowledgment of how his actions have had long-term consequences. But it sounds like you are placing a lot of expectations on a person who has repeatedly failed you in the past. Has he changed so much that he will not disappoint you again?

I think showing the letter to your therapist is a great idea. Even if you don't send it, perhaps just writing it and talking about it will help. I've been in a similar situation and finally had to just let it go. But it took a long time and a lot of hurt to get there. I hope you find peace sooner. :)
Thanks Ari. I have given the letter to my therapist and she is going to read it over and call me back today.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I have a two page letter to my dad. I'm not going to send it. But I did send him an e-mail it says:

I just wanted to say that I love you, dad.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa, after six years of not speaking to my father for no real reason but he had his own life I called out of the blue. I got his email address to show him picks of his biological grandchildren and in a note I wrote "I was very upset about a comment that you made to me and you may not remember but I wanted to know I forgive you. So the day of judgement you are free" He was very cordial on a phone conversation with me and it was not brought up but I freed my heart without any real explanation. It was something I had to do. Only you can make that choice love.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
musicmom said:
Lissa, after six years of not speaking to my father for no real reason but he had his own life I called out of the blue. I got his email address to show him picks of his biological grandchildren and in a note I wrote "I was very upset about a comment that you made to me and you may not remember but I wanted to know I forgive you. So the day of judgement you are free" He was very cordial on a phone conversation with me and it was not brought up but I freed my heart without any real explanation. It was something I had to do. Only you can make that choice love.
Brilliant.

<SIZE size="75">(ah heck, but nobody listens to me anyways)</SIZE>

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
There was a response in my inbox this morning:

<SIZE size="150">IN THIS WORLD WE DON'T SAY THIS ENOUGH TO EACH OTHER. </SIZE><I><SIZE size="200">I LOVE YOU TOO!!!!!!!! </SIZE></I>
<I><SIZE size="200"></SIZE></I>
:cry: