MySpace and Teens...

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
That is a good question... mine is still only four. But I would think it really has to do with each individual child's level of responsibility and maturity. With that being said, I think it's still extremely important to closely monitor their activity.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Probably 12 but I would have it monitored and have it set to private. As long as you have access to it and are there when she's on it, I don't see a big deal. I would however put a fake last name when registering and probably a different state for her own protection.
It would depend on how responsible my child was.

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
My daughter is 13 and she has one as well as most of the kids at her school. I do monitor her activity on it, which I am sure she is not thrilled about, but it is for her safety. Her account is set to private and I am usually the only one to upload photo's to her account.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I would also recommend having a talk with her about how easy it is to inadvertantly give out personal information. So many kids don't even realize how much info that can be tricked into giving. For example: "So what soccer team do you play on?"

There are too many predators out there that know just the right questions to ask.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
HappyMomma said:
I would also recommend having a talk with her about how easy it is to inadvertantly give out personal information. So many kids don't even realize how much info that can be tricked into giving. For example: "So what soccer team do you play on?"

There are too many predators out there that know just the right questions to ask.
That is so true. You can also go into her messages to see who has sent her requests or if she trashed any mail. Online peds are smart.

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
HappyMomma said:

Thanks, I do talk to her about this regularly, but I still worry that she would be easily tricked.

Joy

PF Enthusiast
Apr 1, 2008
Louisiana
musicmom said:
That is so true. You can also go into her messages to see who has sent her requests or if she trashed any mail. Online peds are smart.
Thanks! I do try to go in there once a week to take a peek.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I thought you had to be 14 to have a myspace account?

I might let them at 14, but it'll be very closely monitored. ;)

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Amber said:
I thought you had to be 14 to have a myspace account?

I might let them at 14, but it'll be very closely monitored. ;)

I just checked, and it is 14. Has it always been 14, or has it changed?

Our 12 year old has one, and I could have sworn there was no age limit when we allowed her to sign up. We either over looked it, or the policy has changed since she signed up. Its not a big deal as far on-line problems, but we don't let her sign up for anything she doesn't qualify.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
jtee said:
I just checked, and it is 14. Has it always been 14, or has it changed?

Our 12 year old has one, and I could have sworn there was no age limit when we allowed her to sign up. We either over looked it, or the policy has changed since she signed up. Its not a big deal as far on-line problems, but we don't let her sign up for anything she doesn't qualify.
I'm not sure. The only reason I knew this was because I had heard a story the other day about a 14yr old girl who was sexually molested by some man she had met on myspace and her parents were trying to sue to hold myspace liable for it.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
And thats exactly why if kids are going to have myspace or Facebook, parents need to either monitor their activies to a certain extent, or caution them about talking/meeting people on the net

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Amber said:
I'm not sure. The only reason I knew this was because I had heard a story the other day about a 14yr old girl who was sexually molested by some man she had met on myspace and her parents were trying to sue to hold myspace liable for it.
:no: Sue myspace? And WHERE were the parents during her myspace activity?

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
HappyMomma said:
:no: Sue myspace? And WHERE were the parents during her myspace activity?

Exactly. I think if they're going to sue anybody, they ought to sue their brains for nonsupport. Everyone knows not to let your children on myspace, or the internet in general, unsupervised.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
<r><FONT font="Arial"><s></s>Knowing what I know about online social sites, and how affectionate and sexual people can get (even non-pedophiles)…I wouldn’t let my kid have a myspace page at all – monitored or not.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I like the idea of privacy, and don’t think the world needs to see what my kid is thinking 24/7. Asides from that…myspace is good for very little. If he’s spending time socializing on the net…he could be studying, playing sports, doing extra curricular activities, etc. Myspace just promotes cliques, being in the “in” crowd and pointless socializing. At least with TV, they can learn something…or videogames they can be competitive.<e></e></FONT></r>

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I say 14 with very close supervision.

I've had a myspace account since it opened up and I love it because of the music and it's a good way to stay in touch with friends.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Amber said:
We do monitor it, and the only "Friends" she has are kids we know go to her school. She can't have virtual friends from far off places. She has gotten invites from unknown people, but she knows to reject them.

Not sure what we are going to do since the policy is 14 years old. There are couple of Teen sites she wants to join because a few of her friends go there, but we won't let her sign up until she turns 13.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I have a 12 yr old with one. But i find I prefer facebook as it is naturally a bit moe naturally geared toward privacy and tends to be a little more tasteful

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
In our family, 16.....and I have the password, and the right to delete content OR the entire account.