Over-protective?...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Are you an over protective parent? What are some things that your friends might think you are over the top on but you refuse to budge?
Here are a few of mine.
My children can not play in the front yard.
They can not ride their bikes in the road.
I leave the door open when they take baths.
I get up when they wake up.
I go to bed only after I know they've fallen asleep.
They will never stay the night at anyone's house.
I've only let two of my close friends watch them and it's usually only when they are asleep.
I hold their hands when crossing any street or parking lots.
My son is seven and I won't let him go into a public bathroom alone. He has to go into the woman's with me :(
I make them wash their hands right after school.
Oh my gosh...I am horrible. I could probably think of alot more!! Give me some credit, I see my faults and I am working hard on letting go a tad. (only a tad):dull:

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I'm pretty over protective with my kids...I think it's ok. I'm also a strict parent. Personally I feel it's my job to protect my kids at all cost and make sure they are the best people they can be. I could care less who thinks what about it, ya know

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I am the same on some of those things, but some of them I think are a little extreme. For instance, you won't let your kids go to a sleepover? I think that is a normal part of growing up! An experience all kids should have. Not to say that you should just let them sleep over anywhere - know the parents and stuff.

Also, having babysitters is also an experience they would probably enjoy! And it is good for you to get out as well. Trust me - I was a single parent when Hannah was little, and you have to take a day off once in a while! Again, of course they would need to be with a person you trust, but no reason why they have to be asleep before you go have some mommy time.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have a ton of free time when they are at school so I don't really need to go out. I'm not into bars anymore.
I do not trust anyone to have them sleep over.
Get this story for example...My best friend let her five year old stay over at her other best friends house (her neighbor) and at 3am my friend heard something outside her door and the dogs were going nuts. She opens her front door to find her five year old crying and shaking. Her son tried to wake the parents up but couldn't, he went to the child and the child said "go back to bed" so her son unlocked the door and walked home (about ten houses) all alone.
The neighbor didn't call until 7:30am to say "I hope you have your son".........I won't take the chance of my childs life for an irresponsible person. I can not replace my child.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
thats an extreme case and would not happen regularily if ever. But it is your perogative
I think I am nuts about vaccines! lol i have to research till I am blue in the face if my hcild will get one or another or whatever.
But I do think that if someone wants to vax their kids that its their choice and not even a bad one, jsut not fo rme personally.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I don't think I would give my kids the one that supposibly can cause autism. (I didn't find out about that until AFTER they already had it) I had a parent tell me one day in the dr's office that's what happend to his child. I felt so bad.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
That is an extreme case, as Kaytee said and would likely never happen.

But you know what? You do what you feel is best for your family. Do I think it's a little over the top - maybe a little for my family. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't be able to make different decisions for your own family, obviously.

Like I tell Hannah ALL THE TIME (when asked, well why do they get to and I don't...type questions). Different parents have different rules. One parent's rules are not necessarily better or worse than another parent's, they are just different. Children need to mind their parents, and other families need to respect the other parent's rules as well.

AnthonysDad

Dec 13, 2007
I am not at all protective and perhaps should be more protective. Maybe it is because I am a single father and just "let him be a boy." He is 7, will be 8 in March. I let him do things like sleepovers, have babysitters, ride his bike with friends around the neighborhood, and he gets up before I do on the weekend. He is extremely individualistic and strangely responsible for a 7 year old. For instance, I was sick last week and he got up on a school day, took his shower, ate a bowl of cereal, brushed his teeth, got dressed, brushed his hair, then came and woke me up and asked if I needed anything before he got on the bus.

I said that I didn't, but I needed to get up so I could watch the bus stop (the neighborhood bus stop is our driveway).

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
AnthonysDad said:
I am not at all protective and perhaps should be more protective. Maybe it is because I am a single father and just "let him be a boy." He is 7, will be 8 in March. I let him do things like sleepovers, have babysitters, ride his bike with friends around the neighborhood, and he gets up before I do on the weekend. He is extremely individualistic and strangely responsible for a 7 year old. For instance, I was sick last week and he got up on a school day, took his shower, ate a bowl of cereal, brushed his teeth, got dressed, brushed his hair, then came and woke me up and asked if I needed anything before he got on the bus.

I said that I didn't, but I needed to get up so I could watch the bus stop (the neighborhood bus stop is our driveway).
See, now I would feel guilty.
I don't trust that there wouldn't be a pedophile riding around and I could not live with myself if he were abducted. I know children need freedom....I sometimes wish I could be more like you.
I'm going to be a lunatic when they go off for college.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
I don't think I would give my kids the one that supposibly can cause autism. (I didn't find out about that until AFTER they already had it) I had a parent tell me one day in the dr's office that's what happend to his child. I felt so bad.
It's not proven yet but there are many links... I haven't given it to Nihcole yet and probably won't ever. Not quite mad eup my mind.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
See, now I would feel guilty.
I don't trust that there wouldn't be a pedophile riding around and I could not live with myself if he were abducted. I know children need freedom....I sometimes wish I could be more like you.
I'm going to be a lunatic when they go off for college.
If you feel guilty maybe you should try taking baby steps towards becoming more easy going. Not sure how you would go about that though lol or if you would even want to. I don't think it makes you a bad parent at all, but you do want to be cautious, some kids who are raised overly cautious parents rebel.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I could honestly say that I wouldn't. But....I've heard that the pediatricians office can call the DCF and have you reported for child neglect by not giving them their shots!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Kaytee said:
If you feel guilty maybe you should try taking baby steps towards becoming more easy going. Not sure how you would go about that though lol or if you would even want to. I don't think it makes you a bad parent at all, but you do want to be cautious, some kids who are raised overly cautious parents rebel.
I know, I know!!! I'm learning too as I go along. I am letting go a little at a time. I don't think I could ever feel comfortable with letting them ride their bikes alone around the block. :(
They do alot of things alone but I am always where I can see them (is that still alone?). I'm just scared of other people harming them.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
I could honestly say that I wouldn't. But....I've heard that the pediatricians office can call the DCF and have you reported for child neglect by not giving them their shots!
they lie! lol as long as your child is not in school then you are fine, once they go to school you need to do the proper paperwork for your state. Other then that they can do nothing. We still vaccinate Nihcole, just not all of them and not on their schedule. Until her weight issue is straightened out though we are not doing any more

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
I know, I know!!! I'm learning too as I go along. I am letting go a little at a time. I don't think I could ever feel comfortable with letting them ride their bikes alone around the block. :(
They do alot of things alone but I am always where I can see them (is that still alone?). I'm just scared of other people harming them.
Then I think what you are doing is fine. Not that it matters what I think

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I didn't know they lie! That's wrong to do that to parents. This man in the waiting room was trying to be quiet about it but wanted to warn the parents who were bringing in babies. He was there for his own visit but KNEW that it was from the child's vaccines.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
It is a scare tactic they use to in essence force parents to vaccinate their children. It is sad and wrong, but remember doctors are brainwashed to think vaccines are perfect when they are not and parents should be educated on teh severe side effects they can cause then decide whether it is best for their children to have them

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Too late for us. They are all vaccinated now. Anything I need to know now that they are 7,6,6?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
stay away from soy till after they are going through puberty is my opinion as well though. Soy is a natural form of estrogen and get cause girls to go through puberty sonner and lower testosteron in boys