Over-protective?...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep!!! Nichole would have gotten that one as well, because its from like April 2007!! What took them so long to recall it?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
hib- is hemaophilia influenza type B (speeling) given at 2 4 and 6 months I believe

causes ear infections

SpitNCobra13

PF Fanatic
Oct 21, 2007
Upper Midwest
musicmom said:
Are you an over protective parent? What are some things that your friends might think you are over the top on but you refuse to budge?
Here are a few of mine.
My children can not play in the front yard.
They can not ride their bikes in the road.
I leave the door open when they take baths.
I know by 7 I was taking my own showers
I get up when they wake up.
I go to bed only after I know they've fallen asleep.
They will never stay the night at anyone's house.
thats a bit extreme, don't you think?
I've only let two of my close friends watch them and it's usually only when they are asleep.
I hold their hands when crossing any street or parking lots.
My son is seven and I won't let him go into a public bathroom alone. He has to go into the woman's with me :(
a 7 yo boy does NOT belong in a womens room- just stand outside the door of the mens!
I make them wash their hands right after school.
nothing wrongs with that!
Oh my gosh...I am horrible. I could probably think of alot more!! Give me some credit, I see my faults and I am working hard on letting go a tad. (only a tad):dull:
If you control your kids freedom to this extent, the moment they get the slightest bit of freedom which you can't control, they will be gone. Believe me, this is the way my next door neighbors/friends always were, and my stepmom is a lot like this in raising my little brother and sister. You need to teach them whats ok and not ok so they know themselves, and will remember when you aren't there. Like it or not, you can't always be there, and the day is fast approaching where you will hardly be there at all.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
It's not good for children, and fonly some fish have mercury in them and those are the large ones (tuna shark things like that) and even tuna has a low amount compared to the vaccine. Mercury can sause many many problems in children which is why it is banned in all childhood vaccines except flu. Of course many other vaccines still have mercury in them but the companies are not forced to get rid of it

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
We do alot of the same things you do. The kids are not allowed to play out front unless we're there with them. There are three registered sex offenders within walking distance. Our oldest is only 4 so I'm not sure how we'll handle the bathroom thing. I tell my DD everytime we go to a public place(pizza, park, etc) "who can you go home with?" her answer..."daddy or shell." I've wanted to do a test of that with someone we know but she does not. We are moving to a town of 2700 people after the first of the year. There are no registered sex offenders there and the crime rate is not even avail online. There are 391 peopl per square mile. That is heaven to me.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I thought about doing that to my children as well but my mother was dead set against it. She said her mother did that to her and it scared the living snot out of her and gave her really bad anxiety for the rest of her life. So be careful with that 1day.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'm a perfectionist and have a lot of issues with overprotection. I get obsessed with things quite easily. I will learn how to let go someday.

As an example, last week I had myself convinced that Oliver's babysitter was molesting him. I have no idea why. My therapist explained it to me but I can't remember. lol

AnthonysDad

Dec 13, 2007
I worry about pedophiles too, but kids need their freedom as well and when he goes riding his bike there is a group of them that only ride around the block to another friends house. I also have him call or the other parents call when he is leaving the house so that I can walk to where I can see him coming if he is going to be alone.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yep thos are good ideas, my sister also gave both of her kids walkie talkies so when they are walking to friends houses on the block, she can talk to them and they can talk to her

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa said:
I'm a perfectionist and have a lot of issues with overprotection. I get obsessed with things quite easily. I will learn how to let go someday.

As an example, last week I had myself convinced that Oliver's babysitter was molesting him. I have no idea why. My therapist explained it to me but I can't remember. lol
You have to be careful. If you think something like that then look into it. You may not be wrong. Better safe then sorry. :(

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I tend to veer toward the liberal side (within reason) and am the first to admit that I am hardly an expert. But generally my in doubt rule of thumb is whether my nieces friends are allowed to do something or not as they all seem to have pretty reasonable parents. But I would point out that in some ways kids are more protected these days than they were a while ago. The upside to protecting kids is they are safe but the downside is they have a hard time being independent. I would let them ride their bikes around the neighborhood if nothing else for the exercise. It is afterall not for nothing that we have a childhood obesity problem. I would also allow the odd sleepover. Perhaps you could have their friend's parents over for a drink to get to know them first. This way you can feel a little more relaxed about where they are going.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
If a childs parents are at my house drinking then they are definitly NOT going to watch my children. Forget that!!!