Over-protective?...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
not TD, Tb- Tb is tetnus. and if that nurse gave you 3 injections at the same time, I would be sueing and I am not a sue happy person.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Yeah I am overprotective. If they are going to someones house I must know the parents. I research the neighborhood to see if there are sex offenders, etc. I don't leave my kids at parties (i.e. a friends birthday party.) They can play in the backyard but have to have adult supervision to ride bikes in the front yard. I screen everything they watch and will turn something off if it has innappropriate material. I forbid britney Spears and Bratz dolls. I also delay vax.

twistertiger

PF Enthusiast
Jan 29, 2008
Bay Area, California
jenilouise said:
Yeah I am overprotective. If they are going to someones house I must know the parents. I research the neighborhood to see if there are sex offenders, etc. I don't leave my kids at parties (i.e. a friends birthday party.) They can play in the backyard but have to have adult supervision to ride bikes in the front yard. I screen everything they watch and will turn something off if it has innappropriate material. I forbid britney Spears and Bratz dolls. I also delay vax.
you are totally over protective! try being a little laid back once in a while.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
twistertiger said:
you are totally over protective! try being a little laid back once in a while.
she's just doing what she feels is right for her family. And with 4 happy, healthy, beautiful girls I'd say she's doing something right :)

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I think you are as protective with your children as you feel where you live. Like where we live in a town of a population of 1000. I have found where pedophiles live (not to say they can not drive through the town) but there is only one that lives even 10 miles from town. We live right next to the fire dept., police, city hall. Everyone knows everyone kind of town. I still do have limits for my children but they do walk to and from school and to and from other activities at the park (with parental supervision when they get there) and the library and such. But that is within a couple blocks from our house.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I have to agree with twistertiger! No offense, since they are your children, but do you think you might have problems with them when they are teenagers and their friends are going out and doing things? I feel like a lot of these expiriences are important to children, and children appreciate parents who don't worry to much, because they feel they are trusted (like for screening everything they watch). Your children will have to go out into the world one day, so don't just control their environment for now, give them good judgement forever!

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
twistertiger said:
but unmanaged how do you make them have good judgment forever?
I think that depends on your kid. The important thing to do is to give them advice so they can make good decisions. My main point is, you shouldn't limit your child from having a childhood.