Pets...

WHYTEKNYGHT2003

PF Fiend
Sep 12, 2007
dallastown, pa
specifically dogs. i want my kids to have a dog with them when they grow up. moreso i want a dog for me ive always had a dog. currently i dont and i believe thats why i get stressed out so easy and dont sleep good, ive always had my dog greet me at the door and hed come set with me when i was upset and it would melt it away. i believe that kids should have the same relief. a dog is such a good way to help you relax, and i believe it would be good for the kids, as it was for me. cats just dont have the same healing effects. what do yall think?

WHYTEKNYGHT2003

PF Fiend
Sep 12, 2007
dallastown, pa
Yea "my" cat greets me at the door most days too. it just isnt the same as a dog. the cat will greet you because they know you will pet them and feed them. a dog will greet you because he loves you and wants to spend time with you. from what ive sensed, a cat could care less about you. although i was sick the other day and she kept coming over to me like she knew and was checking on me.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I was just thinking about this earlier. Was kicked back on the couch, and Gabby (my female cat) came up and planted herself on my lap. I just sat there reading and petting her, and almost drifted off. I think for me, my cats have a calming affect on me. My males are really skittish. But my female is such a loving cat. She waits on me to go to bed, because she's got to be laying on my arm.

We spoil her so bad, though. She's like one of the kids.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Pets are great! We don't have a dog, but we do have two cats, who definitely care about and love their humans unconditionally. :)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Forgot to mention... The cat in my avatar, that's my precious Stripey, who we lost to cancer 4 yrs. ago. :( She was incredibly in touch with my moods and emotions and always knew when I needed a nudge, meow or cuddle. She spent many, many sleepless nights up with me when my kids were newborns or when they were sick. If I was having a bad day or was starting to lose my temper she would show up out of the blue, look me in the eye and meow loudly as if to say, "Chill out Mom. It's OK!" I would scoop her up into my arms and instantly feel better. She has been gone for 4 yrs. and I still see her sweet face when I'm upset and it makes me smile.

I have similar stories about our current cats, Andy and Mandy. Just wanted to point out that cats are cool, too! ;)

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Amber said:
I was just thinking about this earlier. Was kicked back on the couch, and Gabby (my female cat) came up and planted herself on my lap. I just sat there reading and petting her, and almost drifted off. I think for me, my cats have a calming affect on me. My males are really skittish. But my female is such a loving cat. She waits on me to go to bed, because she's got to be laying on my arm.

We spoil her so bad, though. She's like one of the kids.
Amber, our cats are like our kids, too. In fact, they were our first kids because we got them long before we started a family. The cats are 12 and 15. The kids are 9 & 11. LOL! Very spoiled they are, too!

Oh, and I don't think gender necessarily has anything to do with personality, because I've had both male/female friendly cats and male/female aloof cats.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I have two Golden Retrievers now and I adore them! They are the best dogs I have ever owned.
I tried a cat once and it didn't have the same personality like my dogs do.
I would only own a Golden now and no other type of dog.

WHYTEKNYGHT2003

PF Fiend
Sep 12, 2007
dallastown, pa
thats what im sayin. personalitywise a dog is a much better companion. i love goldens, they are one of the best breeds. unconditional love as long as you treat them with the same. im goin for a basset hound myself. mellow, not too big, and a great friend

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Bassets are sweet and very mellow. My aunt had one and he was just the cutest thing.

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
I love my puppy! She is crazy though. She is a jack-chi, so she is 1/2 jack russell terrier, and half chiuahuah. She seriously is so f'ing hyper. But at least she doesn't bark or chew my shoes!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I trained my two in a kennel so that they have their own place. During the day they go in their kennel by themselves. They have blankeys and stuffed animals. They even have a place for toys that they scatter all over the place.
I never had them chew anything. Just Picasso, he loves toilet paper. I have no idea why. He'll see a piece and put his head down and his eyes will look up at you like he's waiting for a "oh no you don't" and if you are not looking he will hurry and take it back to his cage and eat it.
When we say dinner prayers he says them with us. Everyone tells me to video tape it because you can hear him say the words. It's hysterical.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I find my dogs to be VERY theraputic. When I am upset they come to just be by me. When I am taking a bath they lie next to the tub. If I stop to look out the window they are right there looking with me to check it out. They only bark if someone is outside of our house.
They come inside when I do a special whistle. It sounds like "cookie cookie" they come running in.
They know the bath routine and freak when they see me get the shampoo, they see the towel and come in and sit on the towel and wait for their dry rub down. They are a trip.
They make me laugh all the time.
When I drive Picasso puts out his paw and makes me hold his paw while I'm driving, you can actually feel his pads squeezing my hand like he's really holding it tight. I just love them to pieces.
Rocky on the other hand.....he kills everything. IF there is a lizard he hunts it and squeezes it and watches it seizure, he loves to smell Picasso butt and goods. I think he gays personally. I should get him a rainbow scarf huh? More power to him I guess.
I thought about sending his prayer to funniest videos and try and win 10,000, worth a try. It's pretty funny.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I have always owned a dog as long as I can remember. Never a cat. Cats are gross. I had a basset. I LOVED the howling. When she became an adult she got very lazy and slept about 20hrs a day it seemed. We have Beebop now who is from the pound. He looks like a Corgi. He's the cleanest, best mannered dog I've ever had. Our next dog will be a Neapolitan Mastiff. I love the slobber face.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
We almost got a mastiff but I can't remember why not. Look into them. It might have been health issues or something. Research.