Pets...

Kim

PF Fiend
Apr 3, 2007
St. Louis, MO
1dayatatime said:
My Beebop eats cat poop like valentines chocolates. Super gross. I secretly love his stinky dog breath.
OK you need to put a warning on this one so that people don't read it while EATING CHOCOLATE!!!!! :eek:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
FooserX said:
I like big slobbery dogs, and think 1day's next choice (does your current dog know you're already shoppping around for a replacement?) is a great pick!

In our condo with no yard...cats just make sense.

My mom just told me on the phone yesterday that her dog is addicted to eating dogshi#. Tell me that's not the grossest thing ever! She said her dog came inside with a turd hanging off her mouth like a cigar.

lol...Cats are way too sophisticated for that.
If a dog is eating poop then it's lacking fiber. She needs to give it special dog food to suppliment it. They eat poo for a reason. Just an FYI

AnKsMommy

PF Fanatic
Dec 17, 2007
Japan
I have one cat, and now I'm starting to wonder if I want pets now. I love having them there but I also love my furniture, and she likes to love on it too...with her claws!

I think next time we're going to skip a cat and try out a dog.

If that doesn't work out then I'm going to go with my mom's old rule of "no animals in the house."

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Dogs are meat eaters not kibble eaters, we feed our dogs kibbles and their systems are really not set up for that. That's why you will sometimes see them eat grass, sometimes they eat poop. I read that site but they did leave that out or I didn't see it.
There are vitamins you can put on your dogs food. Giving your dogs chicken breasts, cooked carrots and rice is really good for them, homeade dog food. Yes I know it's expensive and I can't do it all the time either but it's a nice treat. ;)

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
AnKsMommy said:
I have one cat, and now I'm starting to wonder if I want pets now. I love having them there but I also love my furniture, and she likes to love on it too...with her claws!
Try a scratching post. Next time you see her claw your furniture, spray her with a spray bottle or shake a noisy can. She'll get the hint eventually.

We just happen to have an old fold-a-bed couch we keep in the kids' rooms that we let ours scratch on. That way they leave the good furniture alone!

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
As far as pets go I think our family tops out at the most crazy-we have 9 kitties. 2 lovebirds, a 35 gal fish tank and a 75 gal fish tank. We do just fine with them all in our house. Sometimes the bed gets a little cramped at night (its a king size), but in the morning, we all wake up refreshed. Almost all of our kitties are special needs kitties so they require daily medications or treatment, and if it wasn't for us most of them would be dead or euthanized by now. We have also been bringing Bailey up to respect animals even though she is only 8 mos. old, she is as gentle as can be when it comes to the kitties and she will ALWAYS have a great respect for animals. In fact I seem to like more animals than I like people.

There was a debate on the radio last night as I was driving home-if you had extra food in your pocket and you ran across both a homeless person or a dog (both starving), who would you feed? My answer:the dog!!! Maybe I am going to hell for this but I just don't have much faith in people sometimes.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
lol @ 1day's posts and new avatar...

Button, that's so great you take care of kitties :) I can't even go to a shelter or pet store, because I just want to adopt them all and take them home with me.

button611

PF Enthusiast
Feb 14, 2008
Fooser: that is why we don't go to shelters otherwise there would be way more pets in the house. If it was up to DH then we would have a dog-but not for a while anyway.!!!! We have rescued all our kitties from bad situations-Squeeker was even rescued by DH from a house fire at 1 week old. We have adopted 2 from Petsmarts-via shelters, but all the rest have needed us more than we needed them to begin with. For some really great pics of kitties go to ICanHas Cheezburger.com-some of the pics are hilarious!!! And they are updated daily, just remeber spelling is off, because it is supposed to come from the kitties and we all know kitties cannot spell.

WHYTEKNYGHT2003

PF Fiend
Sep 12, 2007
dallastown, pa
button611 said:
There was a debate on the radio last night as I was driving home-if you had extra food in your pocket and you ran across both a homeless person or a dog (both starving), who would you feed? My answer:the dog!!! Maybe I am going to hell for this but I just don't have much faith in people sometimes.

i said the same thing.:cool:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
button611 said:
As far as pets go I think our family tops out at the most crazy-we have 9 kitties. 2 lovebirds, a 35 gal fish tank and a 75 gal fish tank. We do just fine with them all in our house. Sometimes the bed gets a little cramped at night (its a king size), but in the morning, we all wake up refreshed. Almost all of our kitties are special needs kitties so they require daily medications or treatment, and if it wasn't for us most of them would be dead or euthanized by now. We have also been bringing Bailey up to respect animals even though she is only 8 mos. old, she is as gentle as can be when it comes to the kitties and she will ALWAYS have a great respect for animals. In fact I seem to like more animals than I like people.

There's no law in your state saying you can't own over a certain amount of cats? That's great you take care of special need cats. Kudos!

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
button611 said:
Although both parties could find food somewhere (garbage cans etc) The dog didnt choose to be homeless. I would have given the food to the dog for sure. I know it sounds horrible, but homeless people have the option to try and get a job, go to a shelter etc. Some homeless people just choose to be homeless and not help themselves. The dog cannot.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I see where you are coming from but alot of homeless people have mental issues and can not fend for themselves. So unless you spoke with the homeless person you couldn't know that.
The dog is better at survival and would find food quicker then the homeless person.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
musicmom said:
I see where you are coming from but alot of homeless people have mental issues and can not fend for themselves. So unless you spoke with the homeless person you couldn't know that.
The dog is better at survival and would find food quicker then the homeless person.
Although some do have mental illnesses, the population of homeless people are Sane.

Mental illness
Many mentally ill homeless people are unable to obtain access to supportive housing and/or other treatment services. A 2005 U.S. Conference of Mayors study found that about 22 percent of the single adult homeless population suffers from some form of severe and persistent mental illness.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Or alcoholics which to me is a mental illness even if it's not recognized so. I just don't think every homeless person should be walked by. I guess I'm just not that way. A person is a person. Yes they may have chosen that lifestyle but there has to come a point that they don't know how to get back up if they wanted to. A dog is a dog.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
FooserX said:
If it was a Chiuhaha I would let it starve.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: That's so mean, but I can't help but laugh. I don't care much for 'em either. Every single one I've seen is nothing but a leg/arm/back humper.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Amber said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: That's so mean, but I can't help but laugh. I don't care much for 'em either. Every single one I've seen is nothing but a leg/arm/back humper.
So true. My sister owns dauchsunds (3) and they are SO annoying. I'm tall and I can't see the little things that low down to the ground so I usually end up stepping on one. Now she puts them in their kennels when I come over. lmao

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
musicmom said:
Or alcoholics which to me is a mental illness even if it's not recognized so. I just don't think every homeless person should be walked by. I guess I'm just not that way. A person is a person. Yes they may have chosen that lifestyle but there has to come a point that they don't know how to get back up if they wanted to. A dog is a dog.
People who are homeless frequently report health problems:

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • 38% report alcohol use problems</LI>
    <LI>
  • 26% report other drug use problems</LI>
    <LI>
  • 22% report some form of mental health problems</LI>
    <LI>
  • 66% report either substance use and/or mental health problems</LI>
    <LI>
  • 3% report having HIV/AIDS</LI>
    <LI>
  • 26% report acute health problems other than HIV/AIDS such as tuberculosis, pneumonia, or sexually transmitted diseases</LI>
    <LI>
  • 46% report chronic health conditions such as high blood pressure, diabetes, or cancer</LI>
</LIST>* Figures based on 1996 data from Samhsha's National Mental Health Information Center.

A person is a Person no matter how small - Dr. Seuss. I totally agree that people are people. However, if someone is not willing to help themselves if they are able too, then unfortuneatly nor am I willing to help those who do not want to help themselves.