Protective and Obsessed Mothers...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Since Oliver was born almost 17 months ago, I've had this problem of being overly protective and attached to him. What I'm wondering is if anyone else had the same issue and how it was resolved. Was there a certain age that your child reached that you felt less protective and attached? Did you feel the detachment was forced or was it something that just happened?

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I've always been extremely protective of my children. I still am with Lauren. Cameron and Kaylynn are to the point now where they have gained the boldness to be able to stand up for themselves. I don't really feel like the detachment was forced, just something they kind of grew into, being able to handle their own battles.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
Since Oliver was born almost 17 months ago, I've had this problem of being overly protective and attached to him.
Lissa, what is it that you do that you consider is being overly protective?

Great topic, btw. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
Lissa, what is it that you do that you consider is being overly protective?
Well, it took me about a year to trust anyone besides my mother with him. Slowly I'm getting more trust in people like his babysitter (my neighbor) and my husband. Still there are times where I get paranoid (imagine that! lol). I get obsessive unrealistic thoughts that I dontt really want to go into because they are pretty bizarre. (we'll just let the therapist deal with those) I obsess over him quite a bit to the point where I drive myself crazy.

I worry sometimes when he gets sick that it's something more serious. I worried that him being on antibiotics for so long did long term damage. I worry that the tubes in his ears might make him deaf. The list goes on and on as far as worrying about his health.

Back to being protective, I get very nervous about people staring at him sometimes.

I can just imagine that in 5 years when he goes to Kindergarten I'm going to be out of my head. I want him to be a momma's boy but at the same time I know that he won't always be. I think that'll kill me.

I can just picture myself as being this crazy smothering mother that he'll hate and I don't want to be that way. But I can't separate myself from him. I still feel guilty for going to work two days a week.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
I think it's just part of being a good mother. I try my best to teach my daughter as much independence as I can, but at the same time I consider myself very protective of her.

The only ppl I feel comfortable watching her are select family members and her preschool.

To this day, I am still known to check on her in the middle of the night when she is sick to make sure she is still breathing.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
HappyMomma said:
I think it's just part of being a good mother. I try my best to teach my daughter as much independence as I can, but at the same time I consider myself very protective of her.

The only ppl I feel comfortable watching her are select family members and her preschool.

To this day, I am still known to check on her in the middle of the night when she is sick to make sure she is still breathing.
Have you noticed it getting any better over the years? Any worse?

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Yeah, it has gotten better. LOL My mother still teases my about the notebook I kept when I first brought her home from the hospital... I logged each time she pooped and wet her diaper, when she ate and how much breast milk she ate (I pumped) and what times she slept and woke.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
<r><FONT font="Arial"><s></s>I think it’s the mothers’ job to freak out and be paranoid.<e></e></FONT><br/>
<FONT font="Arial"><s></s> <e></e></FONT><br/>
&lt;FONT font="Arial"&gt;&lt;s&gt;:cool:</EMOJI>&lt;/E&gt; &lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
HappyMomma said:
LOL, I was thinking you must be a horror film fan.

I am a horror movie fan.

It's actually a photomanipulation I did from a photo I took of my gf's foot.

There's a story to go with it...but it's too mature for your little eyes :)