Protective and Obsessed Mothers...

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Post #4 is a very candid answer Lissa. My thinking is that a parent who thinks\concerned about it, probably doesn't have too much to worry about. The parents that really have a problem are the ones who see their obsessive and over protective parenting as being the right thing, and more permissive parents are irresponsible parents; those are the scary parents, and often have children who over time distance themselves from their parents as teenagers and even into their adults lives.

On This American Life (NPR) a 20 something woman told a story from her childhood about going to Disneyland, and her mother not allowing them to leave the Disneyland Hotel. Their entire vacation was in the hotel, not Disneyland.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
Post #4 is a very candid answer Lissa. My thinking is that a parent who thinksconcerned about it, probably doesn't have too much to worry about. The parents that really have a problem are the ones who see their obsessive and over protective parenting as being the right thing, and more permissive parents are irresponsible parents; those are the scary parents, and often have children who over time distance themselves from their parents as teenagers and even into their adults lives.
That makes sense. :)

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
HappyMomma said:
Yeah, it has gotten better. LOL My mother still teases my about the notebook I kept when I first brought her home from the hospital... I logged each time she pooped and wet her diaper, when she ate and how much breast milk she ate (I pumped) and what times she slept and woke.
OMG! I did the exact same thing!!!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
HappyMomma said:
:) I still have that notebook in my memory chest.
I didn't save those but I have a whole bunch of "Oliver Instructions" - things that I wrote to my husband and mother who were watching him. lol

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Lissa, I think that most of your medical worried have very good ground. I'd say it's your instinct that tells you that a lot of things conventional medicine does is not right, and it has nothing to do with paranoia, it just they are NOT right. I'd highly advise you to find a new doctor, a good naturopath or an MD with a holistic approach (this is what we have; they are pricy, since they usually charge a lot per hour, like to take their time (at least 30 min per visit) and many of them do not accept insurance, but your child's health is worth this investment.
There are a lot of things that can be done to improve your child’s health, so he won’t need antibiotics and tubes in his ears (yuckies). But, unfortunately, conventional doctors will most likely make your little one sicker and sicker, that’s what they are for and that’s what they are trained to do (even though they may not be aware of it). I highly recommend to read a book
http://www.amazon.com/Raise-Healthy-Child-Spite-Doctor/dp/0345342763</AMAZON> [/COLOR]
written by a pediatrician with 30 years of experience. I have it, if you would like I could mail it to you for free and you can return it to me as soon as you read it.

As for babysitters, I definitely trust my husband and leave the kids with him with no problem at all, but my kids have never been with a babysitter yet.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Oh brother, Yulia. Her son already has the plugs and he only has a cold. He's fine and healthy and adorable.
Conventional Dr's will NOT make her child sicker and sicker. All that is what you have been programmed to believe. You preach this Yulia but as I said before you'd take chemo or radiation so the Dr's that you bad mouth today might be saving your life tomorrow.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
&gt;&gt;&gt;unfortunately, conventional doctors will most likely make your little one sicker and sicker, that’s what they are for and that’s what they are trained to do (even though they may not be aware of it).

bashing modern medicine.

Just out of curiousity, your "naturalists"...what do they need to do in terms of education for them to practice? Doctors have to go to college, grad school, med school, etc...years of training and learning. I'm pretty sure most people would rather trust their kid to someone that educated as opposed to someone practicing with herbs and treebark.

Why would you think they are trained to harm people? Dare I even ask?

lol @ Music's new avatar

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Just out of curiousity, your "naturalists"...what do they need to do in terms of education for them to practice?[/quote]

My kids' ped is an MD AND a naturapath.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="yulia;35158"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;But, unfortunately, conventional doctors will most likely make your little one sicker and sicker, that’s what they are for and that’s what they are trained to do (even though they may not be aware of it). &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

"That is what they are they for and that's what they are trained to do"? Why are they there to make kids sicker and sicker and what aspects of their training teach this?&lt;/r&gt;

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Ari2 said:
"That is what they are they for and that's what they are trained to do"? Why are they there to make kids sicker and sicker and what aspects of their training teach this?
How to Raise a Healthy Child in Spite of Your Doctor &lt;/SPAN&gt;&lt;FONT color=maroon&gt;

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Could you please post YOUR beliefs instead of someone else's this is getting so old. Do you have a mind of your own with your OWN thought process? I could debate and copy and paste all day. Spit it out please.................

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
My twins are about the age of Oliver. I haven't experienced exactly the same thing, but I've had flashes of it I think. Every once in a while I find myself thinking about their safety and health and imaging the worse. When I hear about a young child being mistreated, falling seriously ill, or dying, I get a picture of something similar happening to one of my kids and I can feel the fear welling up. It doesn't happen that often and I'm able to put it out of my head immediately, for the most part. But it's awful.

When my kids were first born, my husband and I were extremely protective. The twins were premature and seemed so tiny (my daughter's entire body slipped through the neckhole of a newborn sleeper). We didn't let anyone take care of them or even hold them for very long. And absolutely everyone had to wash their hands before they could touch them. I also got extraordinarily angry at my MIL for holding them and then afterwards telling us she had such a terrible cold AND an outbreak of oral herpes. Thankfully, my husband and I have relaxed quite a bit as our kids have changed into chunky, big toddlers, and I expect this will continue.

I hope when Oliver does enter kindergarten you have had several completely uneventful, healthy years in which he has thrived and that this will let you be OK when you see him off. :)

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Lissa said:
Well, it took me about a year to trust anyone besides my mother with him. Slowly I'm getting more trust in people like his babysitter (my neighbor) and my husband. Still there are times where I get paranoid (imagine that! lol). I get obsessive unrealistic thoughts that I dontt really want to go into because they are pretty bizarre. (we'll just let the therapist deal with those) I obsess over him quite a bit to the point where I drive myself crazy.

I worry sometimes when he gets sick that it's something more serious. I worried that him being on antibiotics for so long did long term damage. I worry that the tubes in his ears might make him deaf. The list goes on and on as far as worrying about his health.

Back to being protective, I get very nervous about people staring at him sometimes.

I can just imagine that in 5 years when he goes to Kindergarten I'm going to be out of my head. I want him to be a momma's boy but at the same time I know that he won't always be. I think that'll kill me.

I can just picture myself as being this crazy smothering mother that he'll hate and I don't want to be that way. But I can't separate myself from him. I still feel guilty for going to work two days a week.
These are normal fears. No one still watches my children.
I did panick for two weeks after he went to school, then again with the twins. You are a bit ready by that time. I recommend pre-K to warm up.
Don't feel quilty because he needs that freedome from you.

I hope I didn't say this already..night night time....coo cooooooooo