Protective and Obsessed Mothers...

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
lissa.

humans have been around for a long time. we're actually pretty hard to break.

maybe are you like my friend and can't bare the idea that your son might feel pain - well, it's inevitable and healthy. It's in fact even more unhealthy to pretend that pain doesn't happen or that it's something to be 'fixed' as soon as you can.

sometimes pain serves a good purpose: letting those around you know what your needs are, letting you know when you've made a mistake, letting you know your limitations. crying, in particular, can be a very cathartic and healing thing for even young children to experience.

whenever my son or daughter stub their toe or trip over or something I do two things: firstly, I ignore it. maybe they don't notice either, maybe they don't care, maybe they're not hurt. whatever, if _I_ don't cope with their pain in a relaxed and accepting way, what hope have they got of recovering from their 'owies'? The second thing I do, when they ARE hurt is tell them that they've hurt themselves, and get them to admit that it hurts "you fell over and scraped your knee and now it hurts a lot, doesn't it?" and you typically get back a snotty response of "yeah, it huuuuurts" and then 45 seconds later they're back climbing whatever it was that they just fell off.

when your kid is allowed to feel their pain and encouraged to name what's happeneing to them, it's not so scary or damaging.

what I'm trying to say is that I GET why someone would feel very protective of their kids, but I also want to encourage people to be ok with the idea that kids get sick, break bones, vomit, get cuts, sprain their ankles and get sunburnt. It's calling growing up, and there's no fun way to avoid doing it.

----

on the issue of catching bugs and stuff - it's hard but... lighten up. ok, you don't kiss a baby when you've got oral herpes, that's uncool, but a cold?? that's just a cold. if the kid is going to catch a cold that's going around they're going to catch it - here, there, somewhere. if they hadn't got sick from that person it would have been someone in the checkout at the supermarket, or dad would have caught it at work... something. kids get sick. it's worth taking sensible precautions but it's not worth losing sleep (or friends) over.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
evilbrent said:
whenever my son or daughter stub their toe or trip over or something I do two things: firstly, I ignore it. maybe they don't notice either, maybe they don't care, maybe they're not hurt.

Great post as always Evil!

I especially agree with this part. My wife used to run to Bradley at the slightest discomfort he displayed. Obviously he knew this and would milk it to no end...that's just what kids do :).

When I play with him, I pretty much ignore his cries when I know it's just for attention. I mean...the first time he ate a Sugar Daddy he started wailing because the caramel stuck to his teeth. I seriously thought he swallowed the stick he was crying so loud. lol Mom ran over to him and gave him all the love he wanted...

I figure the extra care mothers give balances out just fine with the tough love the daddys give.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Great post, evilbrent…as always!</SIZE>[/FONT]
Many times I observed child getting hurt and trying to let his/her parent know that and the parent would just keep repeating “You are ok, you are ok”. And the child from a slightly whining one turns into a hysterically screaming one because he knows that he is NOT ok and keeps trying to “explain” it to the parent. Kids definitely need us acknowledge their pain. Imagine if an adult gets hurt and tries to share it with someone and this someone just keeps telling him “you’re ok, you’re ok”…how unthinkable is this?! And yet, I see parents saying it to the kids all the time. On the other, kids whose pain gets acknowledged get over it in no time.</SIZE>[/FONT]

As for different bugs. While it is a good idea to avoid certain ones with a little baby or a child with immune deficiency, I wouldn’t do this with a healthy child. Not a single part of our body gets stronger by avoiding difficulties. We make our heart stronger by running and making it beat faster (overcoming difficulties). We train our muscles by lifting weights or repeating an exercise again and again (overcoming difficulties). Same thing is with our immune system, it gets stronger by overcoming difficulties (colds, stomach bugs, etc). So, while it’s not fun to see a child running a high fever, it’s just something his immune system needs to get stronger. As for fever, it does NOT need to be brought down as long as the child is able to keep any fluids down. Fever is there to HELP our bodies to fight. Our bodies have a special protective mechanism that would NOT allow fever to go higher than it can handle. The only two exceptions when this protective mechanism doesn’t work is 1. Heat stroke; 2. Poisoning. </SIZE>[/FONT]
<SIZE size="125">So, by lowering down fever we are NOT helping the body to fight, but on the contrary, getting on the way. </SIZE>