Pumpkin symbol marks sex offenders' homes...

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008

The Scarlet Letter for Maryland sex offenders this Halloween will be a bright orange pumpkin.

That is the symbol on a sign they are required to post on their doors with a warning, in capital letters, to trick-or-treaters: "No candy at this residence."

The paper signs began arriving last week in the mailboxes of the roughly 1,200 violent and child-sex offenders across the state with a letter explaining how they are to comport themselves on Oct. 31.

"Halloween provides a rare opportunity for you to demonstrate to your neighbors that you are making a sincere effort to change the direction of your life," the letter states.

In addition to posting the sign, the offenders must stay at home, turn off outside lights and not answer the door, according to the letter obtained by The Washington Times.

"Because Halloween is a holiday in which large numbers of children interact with strangers, the concern among parents and other community members about sexual offenders in their neighborhoods is naturally intensified during this time of year,"
More:
Washington Times - Pumpkin symbol marks sex offenders' homes

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
WHYTEKNYGHT2003 said:
it is a good idea, although i can see people feeling quite embarrased by it,
good...lol It says only violent and child offenders have to do it, they deserve the shame

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
although I think this is a good idea...you shouldnt shun them, you have to look at each individual situation. We had a sex offender that lived next door to us when I was little and everytime someone new moved within a certain amout of miles from him he had to go to their door and tell them about it.

But the only reason he was on the child sex offenders registry was because he had (consentual) sex with his girlfriend (now wife). He was 19 she was 16 and her parents didnt like it so poof...marked for the rest of his life.

Again...I think this is a good idea...dont get me wrong, I'm just saying, if you see one, dont do what a lot of people do and egg their house or something stupid (it's been done before...I see it all the time) at least not until you get the whole story.

-Christian

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Kids go door to door more than just on hallowe'en...canvasing, selling stuff for school, paperboys/girls, Christmas Caroling etc.

I'd take it one step further, make an internationally recognized symbol and permanently attach it to their homes, solar powered so it illuminates at night.

Who gives a crap if it draws attention to them, or doesn't match their yard decor.

Seems like a good plan, but is 364 days too little.

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I don't know if a PUMPKIN is the best symbol to use. here, the downtown businesses put paper pumpkins in their window if they are giving out candy. And how many kids are actually reading signs as they run from house to house????

I also agree with Christian. There are some with that label that are completely undeserved - like the 2 teens who are both sex offenders now because they had sex and she became pregnant. Complete manipulation of something that was intended to be a good thing...

NinJaBob

PF Addict
Sep 29, 2008
Ohio
I agree with budnkota. Maybe a pumpkin is not the best symbol to use. There should probably be a national symbol that for this purpose that is used all of the time instead of a seasonal symbol.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Just to follow up and say that I do sympathize with some people who are deemed as sex offenders, who maybe shouldn't have, like the ones mentioned earlier. But fact is, they did break the law, and the authorities have spoken on the issue...if we are to get warnings about the truly bad ones, some of those will have to follow the same rules, sad but true.

In all fairness, had they known way back when they comitted their crimes that it would lead to being marked for the rest of their lives, maybe they would have thought twice on the matter.

An international symbol used as a scare tactic, may end up resulting is less people having underage sex...so it may end up a really good thing.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I agree with musicdad, I don't really care if you are a good person that just had sex with a consentual 16yr old at 19. You know it's illegal, and a 16yr old is too young for a 19yr old, sorry. Too bad for you. Should have held onto your hormones for a couple more years until it was legal.

I think the symbols are a good idea, I like that. I wish they would do that or something similar around here.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
where's that emoticon for the shocked/horrified wide eyed expression???

:eek:

That's the one...

Oh. Right. So. Great.

America the land of the free. The land where AFTER we punish by incarcerating them for a crime (where, presumably, the punishment fits the crime)... AFTER we punish them we stick a sign on their door which says "Beat up the person who lives here. They deserve it."

By law.

Wow.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
evilbrent said:
America the land of the free. The land where AFTER we punish by incarcerating them for a crime (where, presumably, the punishment fits the crime)... AFTER we punish them we stick a sign on their door which says "Beat up the person who lives here. They deserve it."

By law.

Wow.
there's no such thing as the punishment fitting the crime in the case of child sex offenders. They can't fix them and I don't want my child knocking on their doors. I personally check the sex offender website regularly so I know where they are in my area and wouldn't allow my child to kncok there anyways but not all parents check often...if at all. I see fearing that they may suffer from these signs but anyone who wants to can find out where they live anyways, their name and address as well as their crime will forever to be listed on the SOR (sex offender registy) for anyone who wants to know. It's pretty simple if you ask me...if you don't want your name and address out there for everyone to see, or a sign on your door at halloween, don't rape kids :(

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
For the record, I agree with both of you. However, I think the argument is that a 35 year old raping an 8 year old is different than a 19 year old having consensual sex with a 16 year old.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Dadu2004 said:
For the record, I agree with both of you. However, I think the argument is that a 35 year old raping an 8 year old is different than a 19 year old having consensual sex with a 16 year old.
very true...from the looks of the article though they aren't making everyone convicted of a sex crime do this, only violent and child offenders.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Dadu2004 said:
Yes very true, but the fact is both offenses get you on <I>the list</I>, and as unfortunate that it might be, that's the way the cookie crumbles, according to US law...it's different up here, as far as I know.

I'd agree with different levels of the list, but if it comes down to not being warned about the truly mean ones, I say the list is the list, sorry 'bout your luck....trust me, you don't want to loose that list.