Pumpkin symbol marks sex offenders' homes...

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
evilbrent said:
AFTER we punish them we stick a sign on their door which says "Beat up the person who lives here. They deserve it."

By law.

Wow.
Pretty sure it says "No Candy".
Anyone beating them up would face legal problems of their own.

Most states have a graduated sex offender registry. First, Second, Third.
If you're 19 and slept with a 15 year old and pissed of her dad, you're going to be First Degree which is NOT a registered sex offender.
Second and Third degrees are for violent sex crimes and molestation of younger children and you do have to register, not live near schools, ect. But people are not allowed to mistreat you. It's specificaly against the law to post fliers and such about the offender moving into the neighborhood so I'm kinda surprised this is allowed/required.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
fallon said:
very true...from the looks of the article though they aren't making everyone convicted of a sex crime do this, only violent and child offenders.
I believe that "19 year old having consensual sex with a 16 year old" is classified as 'child offender."

Seriously, the law needs to find some kind of safeguard to keep pi$$ed off dad's from ruining the lifes of 'teens in love" for the rest of their lives.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Sirk cleared it up that there is a "graduated" system. Which I think is good.

And those Pissed off Dad's might be just as pissed off if their child was drinking underage or driving without a licence, or assaulting someone, etc. and charged for it.

As well, those "teens in love" should be educated on the rules of law, and abide by them. This registry system, along with the laws, I believe to be a good thing.

Imagine the power to a Parent, of saying to a child and their beau, if you have sex, you will be charged and marked...as a daddy to a daughter, I say, "finally the law is with me on this one"

Times have changed, get with the program, laws are laws now....

My first sexual experience (very young) potentially could have ruined my life and career. I thank god it didn't, I was so dumb then.

"Teens in love" - that term still makes me laugh....<I>lets see...I was in love about 35 times in my teens.</I>

no offense intended HappyMomma, just a personal view.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Music-dad said:
no offense intended HappyMomma, just a personal view.
None taken ;-)

Music-dad said:
Sirk cleared it up that there is a "graduated" system. Which I think is good.
In my state, I'm not aware of any graduated system... at least not that is portrayed to the general public... a 40 year old man raping a toddler is still shown as an sexual offender ... same as the consensual situation.

Music-dad said:
And those Pissed off Dad's might be just as pissed off if their child was drinking underage or driving without a licence, or assaulting someone, etc. and charged for it.
I agree, and they should do their time, probation or whatever... but to be branded as a pedaphile for the rest of their life (an offense that even prisoners despise and will kill for) is a bit of a ridiculous punishment.

Music-dad said:

"Teens in love" - that term still makes me laugh....<I>lets see...I was in love about 35 times in my teens.</I>
Yeah... no doubt. ;-) But it is what it is.

In a perfect world...

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Music-dad said:
While it is unlikely..dont just brush it off. I mean Amber and I were childhood sweethearts. It could be true.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Father_0f_6 said:
While it is unlikely..dont just brush it off. I mean Amber and I were childhood sweethearts. It could be true.
I totally agree with you 100%, but if you knew, at the time the consequenses, that are now law...you may have continued a "holding hands/touching/playing, but no penetration" relationship,

Am I right, if you were educated, and warned?

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
in MI the registry shows as Sirk explain but I'm not sure how it is in other states. We have 1st, 2nd, and 3rd degree and you can see what their actual offense was.

Piper90

Oct 23, 2008
LEWISVILLE,TX
Music-dad said:
I totally agree with you 100%, but if you knew, at the time the consequenses, that are now law...you may have continued a "holding hands/touching/playing, but no penetration" relationship,

Honestly, I don't think that by trying to educate or warn a teenager in love is going to do any good. Teenagers don't care (most times) some will take it as a threat or a grain of salt and call BS on it. They'll do whatever the please.

I do believe though that many teenagers are well aware of what they want, and how they feel. It's not right to just pass it off, I mean sometimes people of all ages can fall in love many times, or have many love interests. Laws need to revised for thi topic.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
Music-dad said:

No, <I>I</I> still would have done it, but as I have said before...I was a pretty bad kid...other teenagers may have thought about it first.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Father_0f_6 said:
No, <I>I</I> still would have done it, but as I have said before...I was a pretty bad kid...other teenagers may have thought about it first.
Oh good lord... the things that I did as a teen that could have gotten me in serious trouble or maimed or killed for that matter. UGH!

I guarantee that my thoughts about consequences then are FAR different now. But, that is something that does come with age.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
HappyMomma said:
Oh good lord... the things that I did as a teen that could have gotten me in serious trouble or maimed or killed for that matter. UGH!

I guarantee that my thoughts about consequences then are FAR different now. But, that is something that does come with age.
I would imagine that there's quite a few of us that should either be dead or in prison right now for the stupid stuff we did in our youth. When I think back, I can't hardly believe some of the crazy crap I pulled when I was in my late teens and early 20's.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Okay, well this IMO is another one of those laws for certain people that kind of have to include the rest of them to enforce it. For instance, yes there are some teen couples (like 16 and 19 or whatever) that are really in love and even though they're not that close in age, they just want to be together and when the dad gets angry, he ruins the guy's life forever by marking him as a child sex offender. That's horrible. But that law exists for a reason, and I can tell you a personal story as to why. This should really matter to those of you who have daughters.

I had a friend once who was 15 when I was around that age, maybe I was 16 I don't know, and there came around this guy. We met him through another friend of ours, an older friend. He was 19, she was 15. We were in school, had to listen to our parents, get rides where we wanted to go, ask for money to go to the movies, and hey everything else a 15 year old has to do at such a young age. This GUY however was 19, he had a car, a job, money to take her out, could do whatever he wanted, and had his own place and everything. Now I ask you, if you were in her shoes, when this guy showed interest in YOU, wouldn't you be just blown away? Any 15 year old would want to be with that. It's exciting, it's liberating, it's cool. Romantic! Everything you could ask for. I told her it wasn't a good idea, but what can I say? I didn't want to be mean, I wanted her to be happy. And hey, if it were me... how could I resist either? I mean how cool is that?

The thing is with her, her parents didn't care. They were cool with whatever. I'd also like to mention this girl was a virgin. So they hang out a lot for a few months, and she tells me eventually about how they had sex and whatnot. She gave her virginity to this guy because she was so enthralled with him. They sleep together a few times, I'm sure a lot actually. But pretty soon he starts blowing her off, and not answering her calls very often. Then finally someone tells my friend this guy has a girlfriend, and one he's had for a long time even. She confronted him about it, it was true. And he had no intentions on leaving her. He said he didn't know why he was hanging out with my friend, and that he didn't want to anymore, basically breaking up with her. I'm sure I don't have to tell you how broken she was over this.

Later on quite a few people told us that this guy just wanted to get a girls virginity, simple as that. He wanted her virginity. A bunch of his friends at work were telling him it would be cool and he should do it, so he found someone he knew he could take advantage of to do it with (a 15 year old). What guy doesn't want to sleep with a virgin at least once? It was obviously a cool idea to him at the time. He wasn't romantically interested in her really, his girlfriend was his age he only went for a young girl for the virginity. And when he got the chance, he dropped her. As soon as he got what he wanted she didn't matter anymore. And then he bragged about it at work like crazy, and apparantly those people were mostly joking, so they found it actually pretty bad and disgusting (like it was) and started telling people so it got around to her. (I think it was that she was so young, just 15, but who knows why they told on him. Maybe guilt.)

Now, that's disgusting. Tell me you don't think that guy should be a sex offender. Tell me you don't think he should be marked forever. Maybe it's just me, but if that were my daughter... Anyway, that I believe is why "consentual teen sex" at far apart ages is against the law. It might be harmless, but it might not. It's another one of those laws that's not fair in that it can't pick and choose which situations are right or wrong, but let me tell you I'm glad it exists and I wouldn't want them to be more lenient. People know the law, teens know the law. When I was in school they actual had people come to our school to describe the laws to us. So no excuses for these kids. I know this guy knew about them too, because he was always talking about her being "jailbait" or whatever. He knew. He didn't care. He should have been punished and I would've been glad if he was, but my friend didn't want her parents to do anything, and since she didn't, they didn't.

So yeah. That's just me, but you know.

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
Xero said:
Now, that's disgusting. Tell me you don't think that guy should be a sex offender. Tell me you don't think he should be marked forever. Maybe it's just me, but if that were my daughter...
Actually, no I don't think he should be marked forever. What he did was dispicable and he should have the crap beat out of him. But, IMO he's not a sick and twisted child molestor....he's an idiot that took advantage of a girl. For me, this situation shouldn't be a cause for him to have his life ruined forever. Don't take me wrong...I don't think what he did was right. I think what he did was incredibly wrong and he deserves his nose broken over it. But I don't think he deserves to live the rest of his life as a marked man over it.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well not only did he do it just to be a sicko, but he also knew the consequences perfectly well of sleeping with a kid. He knew the law, he was perfectly educated. He still didn't care and there was no love involved. But that's just me, you'll probably be mad at me for saying this, and I'm probably being sexist and/or inappropriate and I apologize, but I think it's because you're a guy. We don't look at this the same. :)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Honestly, no offense intended. :) Everybody totally has a right to their opinion, and I respect yours.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Dadu2004 said:
Actually, no I don't think he should be marked forever. What he did was dispicable and he should have the crap beat out of him. But, IMO he's not a sick and twisted child molestor....he's an idiot that took advantage of a girl. For me, this situation shouldn't be a cause for him to have his life ruined forever. Don't take me wrong...I don't think what he did was right. I think what he did was incredibly wrong and he deserves his nose broken over it. But I don't think he deserves to live the rest of his life as a marked man over it.
I agree with this.

Father_0f_7

PF Addict
Aug 19, 2008
F.I., Florida
I have mixed feelings about what Xero said...part of me says mark him forever, part of me says dont. But I still dont think my childhood neighbor should have been marked...I never understood why he was but my step-father wasnt. It doenst make any scense.