"Crying it out" method causes brain damage!...

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Here is a great book by Professor Margot Sunderland (London Centre for Child Mental Health) called (the book is really really awesome!). The book explains how hormone that is being released when the child is in distress damages the brain. The book shows MRIs of brain of kids who were left CIO and let me say, it is NOT pretty. Professor Sunderland also studies brain of a lot of violent (criminal) people and sure enough they were left cry it out as children.[/size][/size][/FONT]</SIZE>

</SIZE>[/FONT]

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yulia, I think you meant to type "got rid of me" not read. :)

I personally think what you copy and pasted is ignorant. Some parts I believe like cuddling a child and loving them. But no way do I believe allowing a child to cry it out will cause brain damage or life long issues.
And..........I can NOT believe you put circumcision is baby rape. OMG, you seriously need to find a better cause to support.
Parenting isn't a science. If it were there would be a handbook that would work for ALL children and ALL parents. It's a never ending learning experience. That's what makes this world a great place. I had my son circumcised and I could gaurentee you that if you stood in front of me and called me a child rapist I would..................well due to board rules I can't tell you..........but I can say you'd have a limp!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
actually Music mom there are MANY scientific studies that show that babies who are left to CIO are more likely to have panic attaacks as adults, more likly to be suicidal as teenagers and many more things.

And seriously stop with the telling of members to leave. She has every right to post her opinion as do you. If you have that serious of a problem with her, then block her posts or simply do not read them.
I also feel very strongly about CIO

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
I never really heard or read anything about this before. I have to say I have tried a couple times to let my child cry it out BUT I start to cry too so I pick her up and sleep on the couch with her, lol.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
lol that tells you right there, that you are not meant to make your baby CIO. Of course there are times that it happens. I know with a colicky baby, there were times that I had to let her cry and would just walk away for 5 minutes.
I never did sleep training though, I find it cruel punishment to put an infant through

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Yeah a few months ago I tried to get my 2 yr. old to fall asleep by herself and stay in her bed. Needless to say her or I couldn't take it and I let her come and cuddle with me. Now that I think about it, all of my kids did just fine not being sleep trained so why start now.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
musicmom said:
Yulia, I think you meant to type "got rid of me" not read. :)

I personally think what you copy and pasted is ignorant. Some parts I believe like cuddling a child and loving them. But no way do I believe allowing a child to cry it out will cause brain damage or life long issues.
And..........I can NOT believe you put circumcision is baby rape. OMG, you seriously need to find a better cause to support.
Parenting isn't a science. If it were there would be a handbook that would work for ALL children and ALL parents. It's a never ending learning experience. That's what makes this world a great place. I had my son circumcised and I could gaurentee you that if you stood in front of me and called me a child rapist I would..................well due to board rules I can't tell you..........but I can say you'd have a limp!
well, you don't have to believe <I>me.</I> But how about a professor that studdies child brain development?...

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;even the person who created CIO method later on admitted that he was wrong and that parents should NOT do it anymore. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;But of course, it was promptly ignored (like nothing happened) as it usually goes with most inconvenient things…&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
he still believes in CIO he just says there is a limit now. Before he said to just let them cry and starting at 8 weeks. NOw he says not before 6 months and never for more hten some odd minutes.

The big thing is, is he advocated this method yet didn't use it on his own kids

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
he still believes in CIO he just says there is a limit now. Before he said to just let them cry and starting at 8 weeks. NOw he says not before 6 months and never for more hten some odd minutes.

The big thing is, is he advocated this method yet didn't use it on his own kids
well, can you imagine how many parents would sue the s**** out of his pity a$$ if he admitted that he was completely wrong and that it causes serious changes in brain...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'm not completely opposed to the CIO method. I do feel that if you use this method it is EXTREMELY important to follow your instincts. I would never let my child cry for longer than 20 minutes. And I would never let a child under the age of 6 months CIO. Children have to learn to calm themselves.

There was only once instance that I let Oliver CIO for about an hour. In that case I felt pressured by another mother who was with me at the time who told me that he needs to cry. I absolutely felt HORRIBLE. I still feel bad about what happened. I should have went with my instincts and picked him up. I never should have listened to that woman.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
you are right, you shouldn't have listened. But you learned and I know you wouldn't do it again. We all make mistakes. No one is perfect. As I said I have let Nichole cry a few times, never CIO though, since she wouldn't stop crying anyways. lol

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Lissa said:
I'm not completely opposed to the CIO method. I do feel that if you use this method it is EXTREMELY important to follow your instincts. I would never let my child cry for longer than 20 minutes. And I would never let a child under the age of 6 months CIO. Children have to learn to calm themselves.
Lisa, I HIGHLY recommend you to read the book I mentioned Science of Parenting.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
yulia said:
Lisa, I HIGHLY recommend you to read the book I mentioned Science of Parenting.
I have that book. It's a great book. In fact, I think I made the recommendation somewhere on this site. :)