"Crying it out" method causes brain damage!...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
"Crying is as good for the lungs as bleeding is for the veins." ~ Dr. William Sears, The Fussy Baby, page 63

". . . crying has been found to be physiologically detrimental to the new infant. Large fluctuations in blood flow occur during extended crying periods, decreasing cerebral oxygenation and causing an increase in cerebral blood volume. crying babyAs a result, rising blood pressure increases intracranial pressure, putting baby at risk for an intracranial hemorrhage. Meanwhile, oxygen-depleted blood flows back into the systemic circulation rather than into the lungs (Anderson, GC)." ~ excerpted from Examining the Evidence for Cue feeding of Breastfed Infants by Lisa Marasco, BA, IBCLC and Jan Barger, MA, RN, IBCLC

"A mother is ridiculed for wanting to pick up her crying baby. Yet, this response to a call, the concern for her offspring, is an action that comes from the very depth of her motherhood." ~ excerpted from An Oversight of Our Culture By Tine Thevenin

I like the quote about bleeding for the veins. Too cute.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
HappyMomma said:
OK, my curiosity is killing me. I've found where he had modified the method, but I'm not finding where he has denouced letting them cry. Help?
he just said his methods were wrongs and harmful, then modififed them. He still preaches a CIO method. BUT he never let his own children CIO.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
that's interesting about dr. Ferber even though I never heard of him before I saw "Meet the Fockers" I learned the CIO method from another mother who lived down the street from me. Her children would go to bed at the same time every night and I was having such trouble with mine, (I only had my oldest at the time) So when my younger daughter was old enough I decided to try her method.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Kaytee said:
he just said his methods were wrongs and harmful, then modififed them. He still preaches a CIO method. BUT he never let his own children CIO.
Ah, I understand... he was denouncing the outdated method of it. Thanks. :eek:

kristakmj

PF Regular
Mar 9, 2008
okay i didnt read through all the pages but i must say both my sons are circumsized ( sp ) and im sorry but that was mine and hubbys choice but to say its like raping them? i wont even take offense to that cause it souds like an ignorant statement . neither of my boys cried from it so it must not hurt after its done .

as for the CIO method all 3 of my kids slept through the night at 4 months old , they to this day go to bed on thier own with a book read from mom and a hug and kiss and being tucked in. some of the comments almost sound like if i let them CIO they would feel disereted and abandoned . i didnt just toss my kids in thier crib and let them scream until they passed out , i would go in there after a few minutes give them their pacifier and tell them its bedtime and i love them . how is that gonna cause brain damage?

all 3 of my kids are loving affectionate well rounded children , the 2 that are in school are doing very well with no problems . all these new studies and "findings" make me sick i wish more people would think with thier own brain and stop needing others to tell them the "best " way to raise a child.

each child is different these doctors need to stop trying to fit square pegs in round holes

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
<SIZE size="75">"neither of my boys cried from it so it must not hurt after its done"

No, I'm sure amputating the foreskin of a babies penis doesn't hurt. :eek:
</SIZE>

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
please keep this debate on CIO not circ...this is the last warning and then this thread will be closed

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
HappyMomma said:
Ah, I understand... he was denouncing the outdated method of it. Thanks. :eek:
np, just so you knwo I do not think parents who let their children CIo are bad parents, or that they do not love their children. I just think they feel their are no other options out there.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
as for the CIO method all 3 of my kids slept through the night at 4 months old , they to this day go to bed on thier own with a book read from mom and a hug and kiss and being tucked in. some of the comments almost sound like if i let them CIO they would feel disereted and abandoned . i didnt just toss my kids in thier crib and let them scream until they passed out , i would go in there after a few minutes give them their pacifier and tell them its bedtime and i love them . how is that gonna cause brain damage?
they probably felt that way when you did it though. I am sure your children love you just as much as mine love me, and that yo ulove them just as much as I love mine. But.... all children are different just like you say, and just because your children did ok with the CIO method does not mean it won't cause harm to other children. Just like all other things. Placing babies on their backs and such. My friend thought that that was bogus and had her baby sleeping on her tummy from day one. Her daughter is fine, a perfectly healthy 3 1/2 year old now. It did not cause SIDS, but..... what if she did die of SIDS, then would that mother feel guilty that she may have been able to prevent it? Now back to CIO, if your children grow up and one of them gets depression (God forbid), would you feel guilty that you may have been able to prevent it? Of course it does not mean your child WILL have problems, but it does lower the risk by attending to your childs cry, even if its because they want mommy to hold them.