Sex Ed...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I thought i would make a new thread for this topic so that everyone can have a say in it.

<I><U>SEX ED</U></I>
<I>Sex education seeks both to reduce the risks of potentially negative outcomes from sexual behaviour like unwanted or unplanned pregnancies and infection with sexually transmitted diseases, and to enhance the quality of relationships. It is also about developing young people's ability to make decisions over their entire lifetime. Sex education that works, by which we mean that it is effective, is sex education that contributes to this overall aim</I>

What is your opinon on this? Are you ok with the schools teaching your kids sex ed? Why or why not? And if not, are you personally, as parents, going to teach your children the necesities of everything sex ed teaches? Such topics include: Sexual development, Reproduction, Contraception and Relationships.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
The debate I was talking about was the introduction of homosexuality being viewed as an option regarding sex ed. That is the only thing I don't agree with. The school can teach contraception, abstinence, and all that, and I'm fine with it. But I don't want my kids to view homosexuality as ok. (And once again, I am not meaning to offend. That's just my beliefs.)

That being said, I hope to have covered all they need to know by time this becomes an issue. I've already discussed a bit with them, just not all the "plug-ins", for lack of a better way to put it. Exactly what grade do they do it in? I think it was 4th grade, when I was younger.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Even if the school says it is ok I imagine your influence would be greater than theirs. I however don't believe they even touch base on the topic.

I'm fine with the school's teaching my kids sex ed. I will of course back it up with my own personal beliefs, and make sure they fully understand what they were told.

Does the school supply chasity belts or do we have to pick them up on our own?

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Good Wolf said:
Does the school supply chasity belts or do we have to pick them up on our own?

I'm gonna make my daughters one....with a deadbolt. Let's see them horny teenage boys get to them then.;)

I don't think Knox Co. schools teach it, but they're preparing for when it will be ok for them to teach it.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh: GW! Thanks for the rep, and the comment near made me spit Dr Pepper on my screen!

I'd give you some, but I gotta spread it around some more.:(

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
Personally, I have no problem with my daughter learning sex ed in school because I plan on keeping her educated on an on-going basis as she grows with what is appropriate at the time.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Amber said:
:biglaugh: :biglaugh: GW! Thanks for the rep, and the comment near made me spit Dr Pepper on my screen!

I'd give you some, but I gotta spread it around some more.:(
;) It seems everyone has that problem when trying to give me rep. I always give the newbies rep to greet them and so I can hit up the regulars when I want to.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Good Wolf said:
;) It seems everyone has that problem when trying to give me rep. I always give the newbies rep to greet them and so I can hit up the regulars when I want to.

Aha...I think I might do that. Heh.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
meow_173 said:
See in catholic schools they won't even touch upon homosexuality

I used to teach in a Catholic school (Gr. K-8) and there was NO sex ed. whatsoever.

I have no idea what's offered or taught at the Middle or High School level in my district, but I'm perfectly fine with the sex ed. film shown in Gr. 5. Very basic info split in two gender groups - anatomy of reproductive system, what to expect during puberty and hygiene, etc..

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I'm glad so far no one has had an issue with Sex Ed. To me, kids/teens <I>NEED </I>to know about Sexual development, Reproduction, Contraception and Relationships. And IMO if the schools are not teaching them, then we as parents become liable. If the schools do not teach our children, and we as parents choose not to teach them, what happens when a daugher comes home and says "i'm pregnant"? Do you get angry with her? No, because she has not been taught by her teaching authorities or by us the parents about making better choices, or about contraceptives.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Good post! I definately think that if someone doesn't want their child to participate in sex ed, then they definately need to step up to the plate and teach them. Kids need to learn it somewhere, whether it's sex ed at school or parenting. And in all actuality, parents need to teach even if they DO take sex ed.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Exactly. What schoold don't teach (if its a catholic school and contraceptives are not in the cirriculum) then we need to step up and fill all the wholes that the school may not fill

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I do NOT want my son taught sex education in school. I believe that is a parent's duty.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I won't go into specifics. But I have very different views on sexuality than most and I would much prefer that my son talk to me. Schools don't teach morals. They teach you how to be safe.

My parents never talked to me about sex. I was taught by the school system. I'm certain that if my parents would have talked to me, my adolescence would have been entirely different.

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
My opinion is that if you want something done right (or to your specifications) do it yourself. Sex ed at my high school consisted of a 5 minute lecture in Health class. Essentially the basis of it was Don't have sex! but if you do, use a condom....end of discussion. I think sex ed should be taught in school, but I think it should actually be TAUGHT. Just teaching abstinence is wishful thinking, IMO.

Ultimately though, the responsibility IS the parent's and no one else's.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Skyburning said:
My opinion is that if you want something done right (or to your specifications) do it yourself. . . .

Ultimately though, the responsibility IS the parent's and no one else's.
Exactly.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Lissa said:
I won't go into specifics. But I have very different views on sexuality than most and I would much prefer that my son talk to me. Schools don't teach morals. They teach you how to be safe.
So the same view as Amber then? You don't want homosexuality to be viewed as ok?

I resepct that fully. but Sex Ed doesn't just teach about how to be safe, it teaches students (and this is more aimed at high school) about Sexual development, Reproduction, Contraception and Relationships. Sexual development as in the anatomy of the body. Reproduction, how that works nad how a baby is formed etc, contraception: how to protect yourself if you so chose to engage in sex, and relationships in general.