Sex Ed...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I don't remember in my sex class anyone ever mentioning the "L" word, that is "love". To me, sex is more than just protecting yourself from STDs and pregnancy. If they're going to teach sex, they need to teach intimacy too.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Lissa said:
I don't remember in my sex class anyone ever mentioning the "L" word, that is "love". To me, sex is more than just protecting yourself from STDs and pregnancy. If they're going to teach sex, they need to teach intimacy too.

Yes ma'am. I think that is something soooo vital and for it to be left out is a shame and just shows what our society has come to. It's not sex for pleasure, it's sex because of love.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
My parents never talked to us about sex and two of my sisters were knocked up before high school graduation. From firsthand experience, I definitely think parents need to play a very strong role.
I came from a small town where this was a huge problem. Parents didn't talk to their kids about sex, very little after school activities other than sports. High school boys were dating girls in the 7th-8th grade and pressuring them to start having sex, often before they felt they were ready, but once they started having sex, it became easier to say yes to sex.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
When my mother got pregnant with me, she was 15. That was only almost 29 years ago. Then, she lost all her friends and was looked down upon because she had had sex outside of marriage and as a teenager. Today's time teaches teenagers that it's ok, have sex, have a kid. Welfare will raise it. Where did our morals go?

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
jtee said:
I came from a small town where this was a huge problem. Parents didn't talk to their kids about sex, very little after school activities other than sports. High school boys were dating girls in the 7th-8th grade and pressuring them to start having sex, often before they felt they were ready, but once they started having sex, it became easier to say yes to sex.
Before Dundas amalgamated with the City of Hamilton, Dundas was a really small town too. And at one point had the highest teen pregnacy rate (i'm not sure what year), but despite this, when we all hit about 12 my mom sat us down and gave us a sex talk which included her concerns, how things worked the whole low down.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
The first time I had sex I felt very pressured. I did not love this boy. I didn't even know him. All I knew was that he was very popular and if I didn't have sex with him, there would be many rumors flying around school about how "straight" I was (as if that were a bad thing). Sex didn't mean love to me because nobody told me that it had to mean just that.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
There are many cases today where teens want to have a baby and I think this stems from self esteem issues. "If I have a baby, they will love me."

Very sad

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Amber said:
When my mother got pregnant with me, she was 15. That was only almost 29 years ago. Then, she lost all her friends and was looked down upon because she had had sex outside of marriage and as a teenager. Today's time teaches teenagers that it's ok, have sex, have a kid. Welfare will raise it. Where did our morals go?
See thats the perspective that everyone has. HOWEVER, the truth is that Sex ed, and whatever else doesn't teach our kids to have sex and have kids etc. If that happens then the kids have not been taught how to a) protect them selves and b) the lack of parental intervention with the child. Unfortunatly, if kids want to ahve sex, despite their parents concerns and what they learn in class, they will. So we need to also tell them our concerns but also aid them so they know how to protect themselves

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
HappyMomma said:
There are many cases today where teens want to have a baby and I think this stems from self esteem issues. "If I have a baby, they will love me."

Very sad
I think half of that reason is that they obviously do not have love coming from home.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
HappyMomma said:

Very sad
I often wonder if this was true for my sisters who got pregnant in high school. We all I think struggled with self esteem back then, I still do in many ways. Like I said before, girls especially want acceptance and love. If they don't get it at home, they will get it somewhere else. Family life is so important.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
I know my mother took sex ed, and my grandmother talked to her about it, but I'm not sure what all consisted of their talk.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
meow_173 said:
I think half of that reason is that they obviously do not have love coming from home.
Exactly.

Or the information they need to realize how much is really involved in being a parent.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
HappyMomma said:
Exactly.

Or the information they need to realize how much is really involved in being a parent.
Or the media. Right now EVERY star studded actor or singer are having babies. So if they aren't shoving the "ideal weight" in girls faces, its now babies babies babies!

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
You know, I honestly believe we are living in the 'Me' generation. People are so obsessed with 'what can I gain, what's in it for me' that we've become unsympathetic to others needs and concerns, and that includes children. God help me if I ever so much as 'think' about being so worried about myself that I can't love my children as I should.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
meow_173 said:
Or the media. Right now EVERY star studded actor or singer are having babies. So if they aren't shoving the "ideal weight" in girls faces, its now babies babies babies!

Don't forget drugs and drunk driving.:angry:

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I bet statistics will prove that the majority of sexually active teenage girls do not have good relationships with their fathers.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
HappyMomma said:
I believe that is what the sex ed program is designed for - those children who's parents will not take the responsibility to teach their children themself.

I also feel that if I do a good job of education my child about sex and other moral issues, that a sex ed course is not going to hurt anything.
Yes, that is my understanding too. Schools are mainly supporting what already taught at home and giving children some basic accurate facts about sex. Our daughter is pretty well informed, but a couple of her friends come from homes where sex is a taboo subject and these girls get nearly all of their sex education from talking with other girls, not parents. Boys & sex are not an uncommon topic at sleep overs. When we hear a lot of giggling and whispering, we know what they are talking about. :)