Sex Ed...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Amber said:
You know, I honestly believe we are living in the 'Me' generation. People are so obsessed with 'what can I gain, what's in it for me' that we've become unsympathetic to others needs and concerns, and that includes children. God help me if I ever so much as 'think' about being so worried about myself that I can't love my children as I should.
There could be a whole separate thread on this. You are exactly right.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
The first time I had sex I felt very pressured. I did not love this boy. I didn't even know him. All I knew was that he was very popular and if I didn't have sex with him, there would be many rumors flying around school about how "straight" I was (as if that were a bad thing). Sex didn't mean love to me because nobody told me that it had to mean just that.
Lissa, I think this is a very common story with a lot girls, they are pressured into having sex before they "Felt" ready to become sexually active.

There is no specific age when a person is ready, for some it is at a very young age (ie middle school) for others it is not until college or after they get married. I met girls in college who were very open about the fact they had a great time having sex at 12-13 years old with older boys and men, with no regrets, but there were far too many other girls who were too young, found themselves in situations where they didn't want to be, and before they knew it they were having sex, and considered it a bad experience. Even in college they were still very angry about it because they could look back and see they were just being used for sex.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
A buddy of mine recently had sex talk with his 13-14 year old daughter. They had it in a car while driving somewhere. He mainly suggested to her that she wait to have sex until she was several years older. He had asked his wife to have the talk with their daughter, his wife kept saying she would, but after 6-9 months it became clear she wasn't going to have "The Talk" with their daughter. Their daugther BTW was honor student, so its not like she was wild girl. My wife has stated to me more than once that even good\nice girls have sex, not just the wild ones.

My buddy was motivated because when he was 16 he dated a 8th grade girl and they had a lot of sex over the course 1 year, and he wanted his daughter to avoid the problems that young girls have when they become sexually active too soon. My buddy never admitted that the got his girl friend pregnant, but he hinted in that direction.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
HappyMomma said:
I remember the 'sex ed' we got in school. It consisted of teaching us that girls menstruate. :wacko:
My mom says that's what my granny told her about when her grandmother said it was time she learned the facts of life.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
Fair question. Yes, I am sexually attracted to women. It is not okay, according to my beliefs, for me to have these feelings.
I understand you might not be OK with it, but I strongly believe a person's "sexuality" is innate, just like their natural hair or eye color. For me anything that is innate to a person as unique individual is not wrong\bad. It just is.

People will argue about the morality of sexual perferences and behavior, and adopt beliefs that they feel are right for them. To me what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom (and doesn't involve children in adult sexual activities), is not morally wrong. I've know very conserative couples who firmly beleive sex between a man and woman should be in the missonary position only, and point to the bible as to why they feel other sexual activities are morally wrong. For them, that is what works, and I am OK with that, for them, but not everyone else.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
I understand you might not be OK with it, but I strongly believe a person's "sexuality" is innate, just like their natural hair or eye color. For me anything that is innate to a person as unique individual is not wrongbad. It just is.

People will argue about the morality of sexual perferences and behavior, and adopt beliefs that they feel are right for them. To me what two consenting adults do in the privacy of their bedroom (and doesn't involve children in adult sexual activities), is not morally wrong. I've know very conserative couples who firmly beleive sex between a man and woman should be in the missonary position only, and point to the bible as to why they feel other sexual activities are morally wrong. For them, that is what works, and I am OK with that, for them, but not everyone else.
I think you should create a separate thread on this.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
Guess It's my turn to say what I think about this topic. I think that it should be the parents who talk to their kids about sex but that's it's good that schools teach it because not all parents do. My mom said she learned about sex from her peers and although she wasn't one of those who got pressured into it, I think it happens to a lot of children whose parents never take the time or energy to teach them. What age do you think is appropriate to start teaching sex ed? Seems like their teaching it younger and younger in schools from what I hear.

HappyMomma

PF Addict
Mar 7, 2008
Wylie, TX
On the "what age" question, I will say that I have began teaching already. Before entering Dd in preschool, we have already had the talk about what type of touching is appropriate and what to do if someone touches her in the wrong way. Sheesh, talk about a "touchy" subject. I tread very lightly on this as I try to keep her innocence completely intact at the same time as teaching her to be safe in the world.

As far as the teen talks go, I will say that I became sexually active at the age of 14... and that was many years ago.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I have no problem with classes like that being taught in the school. Why? Because by the time they offer it here in our district, I've already covered the majority of it with my own children and given them my opinions and beliefs on the whole issue of sexual relationships. We start talking about reproduction at the age of three or four, age appropriately but honestly...no storks or cabbage patches here...and then we build on that over the years.

As for homosexuality, it's also been part of their lives for almost all of their lives. Husband #2's father was gay, and was in prison for it here in Ohio in the late 60s, so it was something the children needed to hear from US before they heard stories through the grapevine.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I think abstenence training in public schools is the dumbest thing I have ever heard of. This sort of thing is a matter for the parents (or perhaps the church if the family is this way inclined) as it varies from family to family.

To my mind schools should give all of the facts including potential risks & comprehensive std/ pregnancy prevention. Homosexuality should be included and no one moral view should really be expressed. This is a matter for the family. Afterall when schools are teaching economics or literature nobody looks at the "moral issues" So this should be the same with sex ed

shazzal

Jan 28, 2007
I think that kids are ready to be told about sex as soon as they begin to ask questions.I have always been open and honest and have tried to keep my talks appropiate to their age at the time they ask. If they are old enough to ask questions then they are old enough to be given answers. On a practicl note I have used to resources a bvook by Miriam Stoppard called "Questions kids ask" and a CD rom called "Growing up and keeping safe" by sensecds.com.Both were invaluble

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Not necessarily, shazzal. Cameron would never ask me questions about it, he'd be too embaressed. I have to approach him.