Showering with children...

ed261311

Jan 18, 2008
Since my son was 3 or so he and I have taken showers together. I realize that he just turned 4 and it's time to let him take them himself, but a co-worker of mine heard me say it and is giving me a hard time like it;s creepy I would do this. I am a male and growing up my I took showers with my dad at a young age. Is this wrong? Opinions please.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
no it is not wrong!!!!!! You should feel very comfortable showering with your child untl he is old enough to not want to take part in it. then it is wrong. There is nothing wrong with taking a shower with him. I take baths and showers with my 2 year old as well. Now granted 2 and 4 are different, but they are still children.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I wouldn't only because by the age of four I think they start getting curious and asking questions. I'd feel uncomfortable talking about my body while standing naked in front of my child.
Here we have a law that a boy and a girl can not share a bedroom once a child turns four. I guess because of the curiosity stage.
I'd tell your co-worker to mind her own business. :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom, wouldn't you rather your 5 year old ask YOU about bodies then to ask someone else like an older child at school who can give bad information?>

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
SUre they can talk to me about anything but I think it's inappropriate to talk about it in that situation. Maybe you will understand when your child is older then two. They can still ask me when we are dressed. One day you will understand that things change as your children get older and the things you think you will do in the future you may not do. They change as they get older..........ways of handling things change as well. Just the facts of life. :)

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
you are right, but its not like my child is the only child I have ever been around. I see nothing wrong with showering with a child as long as the child is still comfortable with the situation. Children will let you know when it is no longer appropriate.
Just because something works for your family does not in any way mean it works for others. Many families are very comfortable with nudity, others are very comfortable with the family bed until much later in childhood. These can all be positive experiences for famlies

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
musicmom said:
Here we have a law that a boy and a girl can not share a bedroom once a child turns four. I guess because of the curiosity stage.
Can you explain further about the law? Curious where about do you live?

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
musicmom said:
I'd feel uncomfortable talking about my body while standing naked in front of my child.
I can understand that you would feel uncomfortable, however, if we make our bodies a tabboo subject, then that is how our kids will take it in as. Kids don't know fat, ugly, rolls, dimples, or anything like that when they look at you. All they see is there mom! And in saying that, we need to teach our kids about body parts, and in a openly fashion. If we make it a negative thing, then kids will see breasts, and penises a "bad" thing.

I don't see any problem with you showering with your son. Luke has taken baths with Dada before, and luke loves playing with toys and showing dada his water crayons etc. I think once they hit around 4 or 5 they need to start learning independance, but if he is still uncomfortable taking a shower alone, i don't see the problem

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
jtee said:
Can you explain further about the law? Curious where about do you live?
I live in Florida and it is a state law.

How would you even know if your child was uncomfortable? I realized it was time to quit bath time with my girls when they were starring at my boobies asking if they will have one's as big as mine. Yikes:veryconfused: I would be more then happy to give my children information but I am not going to point out my body parts to them like show n tell. I just personally think it's odd and yes that is MY opinion.
I've been to nude beaches and it was very comfortable however, that's not the norm in society. They understand that only mommy and the dr is allowed to see them naked. I don't freak if they see me naked so they don't think it's bad, they just know it's lady like to cover up.

I wouldn't down someone for how they raise their children, I was giving my opinion.

stepmommy0221

PF Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2007
montreal, quebec
Showering with your child after the age of 4 is definetly beyond belief wrong...even at 5 it's just...well, it's just not right. It's one thing to be in the bathroom at the same time to make sure they don't fall or if they're in the bath, to talk with them...but to actively shower with them? HHEEELLLL NO...yes, I agree that families are somewhat lenient with nudity, however, to wash your child at 5? My bf showered with his son until he was about 8, and after the age of 6, his son used to cuddle with his dad as if they were lovers...he used to act like since they took showers together, then they could cuddle like lovers...it was very disturbing, but of course my bf didn't realize this until 2 years later when my stepson's best friend's mother (who is a child psychologist) noticed that it was HIGHLY innapropriate the way my stepson physically latched onto my bf. By the age of 5, children should have some sort of independence especially when it comes to washing themselves. It's also presenting it to children that being naked in front of your parents isn't a bad thing, it's just after a certain age, it's their responsibility as growing beings to be able to take care of their bodies...independently. I was reading a thread here about children being more immature or something along those lines and letting your child, especially after the age of 4-5, shower with you, leads to a whole new can of worms...also, this may be off topic, but I'm gonna ask you all anyways your opinion...how do you teach a child to speak up if they are being sexually abused by some disgusting pedophile when in their mind it's ok to shower with mommy/daddy? A 5 year old's logic isn't the same as a 10 year old's or even a 7 year old's...also, are you guys supposed to be parents or friends? (btw, I used to take baths with my brother until I was 4 and he was 5, I NEVER showered with either of my parents of family members...and I'm very comfortable with my body, I respect it and am not shy...there are just certain things that need to be kept under wraps and getting good education on self respect and body image...)...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
live in Florida and it is a state law.
just curious where you found this law, I cna't find it anywhere and everything I found says there is no law. Of course it is still your right to abide by this in your home, cuz well, it doesn't hurt the children in anyway, just curious where you heard this "law"

I realized it was time to quit bath time with my girls when they were starring at my boobies asking if they will have one's as big as mine.
my daughter started doing this when she was about 11 months old.

Again this is still your choice, just curious as to the law thing really.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
es, I agree that families are somewhat lenient with nudity, however, to wash your child at 5?
I don't think the poster was washing his child, just showering with them. I take showers with my 2 year old and I barely wash her anymore, she does it herself. I do her hair though and between her legs.

he used to act like since they took showers together, then they could cuddle like lovers
cuddling like lovers? How was it different then just cuddling? Nothing wrong with cuddling with an 8 year old but yay the like lovers part sounds VERY creepy!!!! That would concern anyone!

how do you teach a child to speak up if they are being sexually abused by some disgusting pedophile when in their mind it's ok to shower with mommy/daddy?
well we havn't gotten there yet since my dd just turned two, BUT there is a big difference in showering with a young child and touching them innapropriatly.

also, are you guys supposed to be parents or friends?
not sure what this has to do with bathing with a young child.

I NEVER showered with either of my parents of family members...and I'm very comfortable with my body, I respect it and am not shy...there are just certain things that need to be kept under wraps and getting good education on self respect and body image...)...
I personally do not think that if you do or don't will effect body image, I think it depends on much more then this ya know?

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
There is but I don't have time to look for it right now. I did not know about it until someone said something to my best friend when she had her son and daughter sharing a room.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I just don't see how they can have a law like that, I think it is a miscoception. When I tried to google it, there were quite a few things asking if there was a law. One said no such law, the other was not answered. But obviously someone somewhere think there is.
What if you have 2 kids in a 2 bedroom apartment. They would have to share, so it just intrigues me. lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
hey I found it, it is actually a law for children in Foster homes. They also say that they cannot be in the same room as a parent unless they are under 12 months of age. No co-sleeping and there must be doors on the bedrooms as well.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
stepmommy0221 said:
Showering with your child after the age of 4 is definetly beyond belief wrong...even at 5 it's just...well, it's just not right. It's one thing to be in the bathroom at the same time to make sure they don't fall or if they're in the bath, to talk with them...but to actively shower with them? HHEEELLLL NO...yes, I agree that families are somewhat lenient with nudity, however, to wash your child at 5? My bf showered with his son until he was about 8, and after the age of 6, his son used to cuddle with his dad as if they were lovers...he used to act like since they took showers together, then they could cuddle like lovers...it was very disturbing, but of course my bf didn't realize this until 2 years later when my stepson's best friend's mother (who is a child psychologist) noticed that it was HIGHLY innapropriate the way my stepson physically latched onto my bf. By the age of 5, children should have some sort of independence especially when it comes to washing themselves. It's also presenting it to children that being naked in front of your parents isn't a bad thing, it's just after a certain age, it's their responsibility as growing beings to be able to take care of their bodies...independently. I was reading a thread here about children being more immature or something along those lines and letting your child, especially after the age of 4-5, shower with you, leads to a whole new can of worms...also, this may be off topic, but I'm gonna ask you all anyways your opinion...how do you teach a child to speak up if they are being sexually abused by some disgusting pedophile when in their mind it's ok to shower with mommy/daddy? A 5 year old's logic isn't the same as a 10 year old's or even a 7 year old's...also, are you guys supposed to be parents or friends? (btw, I used to take baths with my brother until I was 4 and he was 5, I NEVER showered with either of my parents of family members...and I'm very comfortable with my body, I respect it and am not shy...there are just certain things that need to be kept under wraps and getting good education on self respect and body image...)...
wow...guess I'm wrong...lol

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
hey I found it, it is actually a law for children in Foster homes. They also say that they cannot be in the same room as a parent unless they are under 12 months of age. No co-sleeping and there must be doors on the bedrooms as well.
it's the same here in MI I believe, for foster kids, not siblings

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
how do you teach a child to speak up if they are being sexually abused by some disgusting pedophile when in their mind it's ok to shower with mommy/daddy?
Wow, i think you yourself have opened a can of worms by adding that comment. Its not just children who have a hard time opening up about being abused, i think that is taking it to an extreme level.
However, i do agree that by the age of 5 a child should start having their own indepedence. If the child is still uncomfortable, then why not go for a shower with him, but maybe put on a pair of trunks? I don't know. I'm not sure where i stand on this situation. Its a fine line between a child who is too young to have a shower alone ( or a shower in general ) or a child who is too old to have a naked parent in the shower with him.

Here's a solution! Give him a Bath. It solves all issues. If he doesn't want to be alone, be tub side.