Showering with children...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
very true Teresa. My opinion is right for me, doesn't mean it is right for everyone. But this is a debate section and anything that is posted is free game to debate. This does not however mean you have the authority to be mean to others

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
evilbrent said:
Is it just me or shouldn't this just be a given?

You all seem to be very hung up on not having your statements taken as anything other than opinion.

Don't you believe in your own opinion?? Don't you sometimes think that your opinion is right??
I'm pretty open to the fact that my opinion may not be right and I'm always open to creative critisism. No one technically can be right except my HP (higher power) and you even have to take that with a grain of salt since it was written some 2000 years ago.
I believe a wise man speaks because he has something to say and a fool speaks because they HAVE to say something. So I usually consider the source :)
This board is interesting because of the variety of opinions. Speaking of............where's Fooser?<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
yes it does.

...unless you meant to say "I always think that my opinion is maybe right."

Look. It's ok. You're allowed to disagree - but you don't have to pretend that someone MIGHT be right when they're clearly not. They're allowed to be wrong, mistaken, or just have a differing viewpoint - but on some matters of opinion, surely, you believe that you're right and that people with the opposing opinion are wrong.

It doesn't mean you have to ram it down people's throat, just that you don't have to accept that a proposition is both wrong and false.

Eg, I believe that there's no god. I believe that when someone says there is a god that they're wrong. A statement like that can't be both true and false.

If YOU believe that there IS a god, then surely you think that I'M wrong?? Not just having a different opinion, but plain wrong.

That's ok isn't it?

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
No one technically can be right except my HP (higher power) and you even have to take that with a grain of salt since it was written some 2000 years ago.
pi = circumference / diameter... no matter what the bible says (the bible says it's 3)

2 +2 = 4

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
it is ok. as long as, like you said, you are respectful about it. of course we believe our opinions are right and the other is wrong or their would be no point in a debate.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
evilbrent said:
yes it does.

...unless you meant to say "I always think that my opinion is maybe right."

Look. It's ok. You're allowed to disagree - but you don't have to pretend that someone MIGHT be right when they're clearly not. They're allowed to be wrong, mistaken, or just have a differing viewpoint - but on some matters of opinion, surely, you believe that you're right and that people with the opposing opinion are wrong.

It doesn't mean you have to ram it down people's throat, just that you don't have to accept that a proposition is both wrong and false.

Eg, I believe that there's no god. I believe that when someone says there is a god that they're wrong. A statement like that can't be both true and false.

If YOU believe that there IS a god, then surely you think that I'M wrong?? Not just having a different opinion, but plain wrong.

That's ok isn't it?
that's is totally ok as along as while you are explaining your view, you are respectful of the fact that others may not agree. My favorite part of this community is how different we all are...

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
I believe a wise man speaks because he has something to say and a fool speaks because they HAVE to say something. So I usually consider the source :)
aside from the fact that the bible is a terrible source of factual evidence, you're aware that an appeal to authority is a logical fallacy right? you should put very little weight on the opinions of experts, and very much weight on the evidence and arguments they present.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
fallon said:
that's is totally ok as along as while you are explaining your view, you are respectful of the fact that others may not agree. My favorite part of this community is how different we all are...
exactly.

people are entitled to be wrong about whatever they like.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
why do you say that? It was just the first one that talked about it, I can give you more if you would rather have a different site.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Mostly I dislike AIG because of their dangerous and authoritative SEEMING deliberate misunderstandings and misrepresentations of the fundamentals of evolution and the scientific process.

The believe that a hypothesis (genesis) is the same thing as proof of the hypothesis.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
evilbrent said:
Mostly I dislike AIG because of their dangerous and authoritative SEEMING deliberate misunderstandings and misrepresentations of the fundamentals of evolution and the scientific process.

The believe that a hypothesis (genesis) is the same thing as proof of the hypothesis.
again, it was just the first site that popped up, so I have no personal feelings towards it lol

JohannaEspinos

Jan 22, 2008
I live in Mexico City
I don't think there's nothing wrong in taking a bath with your kids, I have a daughter, an she showers with me or daddy everyday, I think nudity must be an open subject in my home, I don't want to create my little girl taboos, there's nothing embarrasing in nudity... good day!!!

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
I was about 7 when any parental/sibling showers stopped! I think it is ok till the kid is uncomfortable. Unless the kid is like 12 or something!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay if your 12 year old still wants to take showers with mommy, then maybe there is a problem lol

crimson_moon

PF Regular
Jan 22, 2008
TEXAS
Hi... new here! I am the mother of 3, one girl - age 9; and two boys - 7 and 4. I typically do not take showers or baths with my children because I like to sit and relax in my bath... of course, that actually happening is slim to none, BUT... the point here is that you aren't violating the child by taking a shower with him/her. Seeing a parent naked is no where in the same league as seeing a non-parent naked. If/when the child becomes curious and/or starts asking questions, I don't think it should matter if you are clothed or standing there naked to provide an answer to that child. He/she is curious and they need an answer from the parent. One should be grateful that the child is comfortable enough to ask and as long as they are being satisfied with an answer, that comfort will carry on with them even through adulthood. As uncomfortable as I was when my daughter started asking me about why my body was different than hers and I promise you that I was taken aback and put in a very awkward position, but I realized that I would rather feel awkward than feel like my own child cannot talk to me about anything and everything. I don't try to "hide" when I'm getting in or out of the shower, but I do ask my children to leave the room so that I may get dressed or undressed. I'm merely trying to show them that being naked is in fact a "private" matter, not a shameful one. I'm a single mother and having all that privacy isn't always an option, but there are still standards to be taught here.