Showering with children...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
crimson_moon said:
Hi... new here! I am the mother of 3, one girl - age 9; and two boys - 7 and 4. I typically do not take showers or baths with my children because I like to sit and relax in my bath... of course, that actually happening is slim to none, BUT... the point here is that you aren't violating the child by taking a shower with him/her. Seeing a parent naked is no where in the same league as seeing a non-parent naked. If/when the child becomes curious and/or starts asking questions, I don't think it should matter if you are clothed or standing there naked to provide an answer to that child. He/she is curious and they need an answer from the parent. One should be grateful that the child is comfortable enough to ask and as long as they are being satisfied with an answer, that comfort will carry on with them even through adulthood. As uncomfortable as I was when my daughter started asking me about why my body was different than hers and I promise you that I was taken aback and put in a very awkward position, but I realized that I would rather feel awkward than feel like my own child cannot talk to me about anything and everything. I don't try to "hide" when I'm getting in or out of the shower, but I do ask my children to leave the room so that I may get dressed or undressed. I'm merely trying to show them that being naked is in fact a "private" matter, not a shameful one. I'm a single mother and having all that privacy isn't always an option, but there are still standards to be taught here.
I totally agree

EHB

PF Enthusiast
Jan 24, 2008
California and New Jersey
Oh please, have you ever been in a men's locker room? :D Perhaps you shouldn't be as concerned about what others think and be more concerned about how your son reacts to these shower together times. If he's comfortable with it and you are comfortable with it, I don't see anything wrong with it. In this era of busy working parents and few opportunities to have down time, showering together may be one more opportunity to connect. I have learned that paying careful attention to my children's reactions to things helps me know if what I am doing makes them uncomfortable. At 4, I doubt you could be doing anything other than bonding with your son.

For the record, I showered with all of my children when they were little because, on most days, it was the only way I was guaranteed of getting a shower in for myself. As you may notice, some of them are now adults and none of them have suggested they were harmed by this at all.

Finally, you can teach children to be ashamed of their nakedness or you can teach them to respect that there are appropriate situations in which nakedness is natural and if showering is not one of them, I don't know what is.

JohannaEspinos

Jan 22, 2008
I live in Mexico City
Well said:)

I think is a matter of education, when I was a kid a could ask about ANYTHING and I always got an answer, well an appropiate answer.

I want the same for my little girl, I want to be the one who will explain her about birds and bees, nudity and all that stuff , I can't teach her about shame and so, that will destroy the confidence I want to create about those issues...:eek:

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
EHB said:
Finally, you can teach children to be ashamed of their nakedness or you can teach them to respect that there are appropriate situations in which nakedness is natural and if showering is not one of them, I don't know what is.
EXACTLY! Thats what i've been trying to articulate, but have clearly failed LOL. If you shun away, or act as if nakedness is wrong, or embarassing then, children are products of their environment, which obviously in turn will make them embarassed or feel that being naked is wrong.

By teaching kids to respect people's bodies, that they are not "wrong" or "wierd", but to teach them that there is nothing wrong with it will i think ultimately benefit kids. By resepct, of course i mean when you get out of the shower, obviously you're not going to galavant around naked, but to tell them that you are going to your room and change without them etc.

So, in earlier posts i was on the fence about this situation, i talked about it to my hubby, and he doesn't really agree with it (kids at age 4 taking showers with their parents), however, i think that if yo uare in a rush, its not the end of the world. Especially if the kids are educated to respect their bodies and their parents bodies.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
Okay late jumping in here too. I do not shower anymore with my nine or eight year old however my five year old sometimes jumps in with me or one of my older daughters (we do not have a bathtub- just a shower) because she is kinda scared to shower on her own. If nothing else I am usually in the bathroom with her just to make sure she is okay. On the other hand my ex washes her in the tub and she has asked him not to because it makes her uncomfortable. Even when she showers with me she washes her own body and hair. We'll see if he listened next time she is visiting him. Of course the baby showers with me now. If your son is comfortable then keep on going. He'll let you know when he's ready to shower on his own. You are not harming him in any way.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
ed261311 said:
Since my son was 3 or so he and I have taken showers together. I realize that he just turned 4 and it's time to let him take them himself, but a co-worker of mine heard me say it and is giving me a hard time like it;s creepy I would do this. I am a male and growing up my I took showers with my dad at a young age. Is this wrong? Opinions please.
In Japan many parents sleep and shower with their kids (<U>even different gender</U>) until they are about 6!

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
thats because America ( I love my cuntry don't get me wrong) is backwards and the human body is only sexual

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
America is backwards compared to other countries. I love America too but we need to get over some of these issues.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
thats because America ( I love my cuntry don't get me wrong) is backwards and the human body is only sexual
with it's incredible 'the whole pedophile obsession' thing.

as well, but this culture sure has a lot of blind spots)

. A little girl (about 3 y.o.) was playing with her dad and at some point she lay down in such a way that her legs were around her father’s face (so basically, her privet parts were right in front of daddy’s face). And NOTHING happened, they just kept playing, without thinking anything of it. The author of the video has even commented, that in our culture we would think about it as inappropriate because WE think it’s sexy, dirty, vulgar and are too afraid that we can have sexual feelings triggered by something like that. In their culture, neither the father nor the girl thought anything of it and so it was—NOTHING. They just enjoyed playing and interacting with each other…[/COLOR]

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
This may be a little late in the conversation, but about sleeping in the same room. I slept in the same room until I was 8 with my older sister. It was fine, and I think one of the best expiriences. I was a very scared child, so I felt a lot safer with my sister there, and it also helped me bond with my sister, since we would be in the same room a lot during the day. I see no problem with showering with your little one as long as THEY'RE comfortable. They should always be able to say yes or no, that is the only restriction.

jenilouise

PF Addict
Oct 20, 2007
Oregon
unmanaged said:
I see no problem with showering with your little one as long as THEY'RE comfortable. They should always be able to say yes or no, that is the only restriction.
That is my stipulation as well.

unmanaged

PF Enthusiast
Jan 26, 2008
I think things would be a lot better for children if things were kids calls more often, pushing them into situations is often bad.