Since when is having low income an excuse for education or courtesy?...

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
jtee said:
I think they are good hearted people, but Walmart pays very very low wages and often is the starting point for people for any number of reasons. Personally anyone who is holding down a job is doing good for their family because Walmart pay is barely a step up from what a person can get on welfare. I suspect that some of the employees have been on welfare in the past and it might be their first real job they have ever had, even if they are in their 30s or 40s.
Jtee can you move this part to the debate section, if possible.

Since when is having low income and excuse for education or courtesy?
Public school is free.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
People who think they are "all that" tend to degrade others to make themselves feel better about themselves. THEY lack self esteem.
I know many people who are educated and lack common sense.
I know many people are uneducated and smart as can be.
Just depends on the people and what they choose to learn or speak.
Jtee made an ignorant statement that I believe it belongs to him only.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
musicmom said:
People who think they are "all that" tend to degrade others to make themselves feel better about themselves. THEY lack self esteem.
I know many people who are educated and lack common sense.
I know many people are uneducated and smart as can be.
Just depends on the people and what they choose to learn or speak.
Jtee made an ignorant statement that I believe it belongs to him only.
what is ignorasnt about the statement. I have been to Walmart, not much but sometimes, and I agree. People that tend to work there are low income. Maybe I am missing something since this was taken from another thread.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I am also unclear what is part is ignorant. I simply moved the post into a new thread because 1dayatatime had made reasonable request. Seemed OK to me.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Stereotyping! Saying that because they work at wal-mart they are low income. That's ignorant. But then again.......I don't live where you do, maybe it's like that there. It's not like that at the wal-mart where I live.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
ok, where did he say that ALL people that work there are low income? umm.. he didn't so who made an ignorant statement?

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
The fact that he made the comment that people working at Wal Mart are barely making more than what they make on welfare blew me away.

That's a little much.

I honestly think most people that are low income come from a low income family and they really aren't taught basics. I'm not saying this for all because some people look at their family and say "There's no way I'm going to be like that."

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
To clarify my perspective. I am saying people that work at Wal-Mart, or any other job that is at the lower end of the pay scale, have my respect because they are working to provide for their families.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Well, if you look at the people who work at walmart they consist of:
Highschool students
Low-Income
Retiree's

its not a stereo-type, its the truth. You don't see someone with a BA in accounting stocking the shelves of equality brand band-aids. The thing is, Low-income people normally have their GED or nothing at all, so the job description doesn't require them to have a BA or something significant. Its mainly a job, and money.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
jtee said:
To clarify my perspective. I am saying people that work at Wal-Mart, or any other job that is at the lower end of the pay scale, have my respect because they are working to provide for their families.
I totally agree. Its a job, and they are either trying to provide for their family, or themselves. And this is probabaly better than working at mcdonalds

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
I agree as well.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
Here is a double post but it applies to both threads since they were split.

Yep, there are a bunch of mental midgets there but it is no different than any other place that pays seven bucks an hour. There are always exceptions to the rule, but they seem few and far between. How times have you said to yourself "how freaking hard it is to take a burger order and fill it properly?" The answer is pretty damn hard for hell of a lot of people.

I've actually had multiple Wal-Mart employees complaining TO ME about how bad their jobs sucks while scanning my items. I just smile at them and think to myself "yeah it must really suck being you..better you than me."

Lets face it. There are tons of people that were born into low income families and ended up doing just fine themselves. Some people strive to excell and others would rather blame their enviroment for their failures.

I do feel bad for those that aren't offered a lot of oppurtunities but there is a difference between failing and being a failure..if that makes any sense.

Not to say that people that work for low wages are failures...geez this is a touchy subject...

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
meow_173 said:
I totally agree. Its a job, and they are either trying to provide for their family, or themselves. And this is probabaly better than working at mcdonalds
Yeah, I worked in fast food when I was in high school. I never work so hard for so little money in my life, but I have no regrets because I actually learned a lot about hard work

Currently I go get my hair cut at a place that's pretty inexpensive, but I tip the women almost as much as I pay for the hair cut. I know these women make only minimum wage for cutting hair, and literally live off the tips they make. They know me because I've been going there for years, and I always get a excellent hair cut. They get a good tip $$$$, and I get a excellent hair cut. :). I could afford going to a place that charges 2-3 times as much, but I prefer to spend my money in ways where I think it might also help others who will benefit from it more.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I had no idea barbers made minimum wage. I feel like a a$$. I usually on tip a dollar or two. I'll make sure to give the next one a fat tip to catch up on some karma.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Good Wolf said:
I do feel bad for those that aren't offered a lot of oppurtunities but there is a difference between failing and being a failure..if that makes any sense.

Not to say that people that work for low wages are failures...geez this is a touchy subject...
That makes total sense. I don't think working at Walmart is a embarrasing/bad thing. IT'S A JOB. I had a second job a Target for awhile. I don't know how a family can truely prosper working at a retail store. I'm self employed and sure I make pretty good money but I also work my ass off. My original problem was that some people that are poor use that as an excuse to be rude or dirty. You can be poor, live in the hood, and still get an education and take a bath. Failure is just the oppurtunity to begin again more successfully.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Good Wolf said:
I had no idea barbers made minimum wage. I feel like a a$$. I usually on tip a dollar or two. I'll make sure to give the next one a fat tip to catch up on some karma.
I can't speak for all places, because I know some of the classier solons do make better $$$ or attract more up scale clients.

The place I go is more-or-less where hair stylists begin their careers before moving on to better positions where they get paid more for their abilities\talents. Its a place where a families can affoard to get their hair cut without having to pay $20+ per person, which adds up pretty quickly if a family has more than two kids.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
jtee said:
Yeah, I worked in fast food when I was in high school. I never work so hard for so little money in my life, but I have no regrets because I actually learned a lot about hard work
I worked at McDonald's for part of 2 summers when I was in college, and it was great motivation to do well in school. The work was very hard, the bosses were outrageously demanding (they later were put on suspension by McDonald's for labor law violations), the pay sucked, and a good percentage of the customers needed rabies shots.

When I worked at McDonald's I realized a guy already employed there had graduated from high school with me. He was trying to become an assistant manager, but he was having a very hard time. He wasn't very bright, and I realize now he probably had something else going on to make his path harder. I remember being so happy to leave that place on my last day, knowing that it was unlikely I would ever have to work fast food again, and thinking about how his big ambition was to make ass't mgr there and he probably wouldn't be able to achieve that. Life is not fair. I learned later he was fired, but no one knew what happened to him.