Since when is having low income an excuse for education or courtesy?...

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
HappyMomma said:
At least those jobs aren't being farmed out to India.

Nah, just to China.:p

I personally don't shop at Walmart unless I absolutely have no choice. And I do...because I go to the Dollar Store, Target, the mall, K-mart, tons of other shopping centers I can go to.

Gioia

Mar 27, 2008
Spain
I'm not sure I get this... if low income is no excuse for lack of education why is there someone criticizing people that supposedly make little money for working on Wal Mart? Isn't this person being contradictory? As far as a connection between income and your kids education, check this guy out: he's a parenting expert, teaches parents while claiming to have very little of formal education and while being a volunteer. In other words, very little money and very little education. Anyways, the site is new but the articles are pretty cool. I think he'll be publishing more stuff:
How To Bring Out The Best In Your Parenting Skills And Style
:biglaugh:

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
I'm obviously jumping in on something that's been going on for some time and has gone off on another tangent - but I have to point something out.
There's a big uproar because somebody apparently referred to walmart employees as low income... I'm not clear why that's a problem when it's a FACT.
Walmart (et al.) non-management employees make very little money, hence they are LOW INCOME.

There is, of course, the occasional exception of teh housewife who just works for something to do or the retiree who just wants to keep busy... but unless you are using the term low income as a euphemism for something else, I am really not clear why there is any debate over this - or what the righteous indignation some have expressed is all about.

I have 6 years of college behind me - yet due to unforseen circumstances (and the fact that my ex went psycho), I ended up in pretty bad circumstances. I had a newborn, was living in the middle of nowhere, no vehicle because when it broke I couldn't afford to fix it, and so it was very difficult to find a way to get a job and be able to show up. When I finally found one, I had no money to pay for day care... I tried to go through the county's child care assistance program, but there was only 1 provider who had openings, and she only worked a couple days a week.
His father makes over $120K a year, but managed to manipulate teh courts to avoid child support for 15 months, so I got no help from him. It was a nightmare. Unless you have actually been there, you really can't understand how difficult a catch-22 situation like that can be. Sometimes having an education doesn't mean a thing. It really is a viscious cycle.

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I agree, and that is one thing that prevents a lot of people from going to school. I know a lot of people with degrees that don't make very much more than me, and some make less.

I'm sorry to hear about your dead beat husband. I've never understood how someone can punish their children to even with their X. I myself am dealing with a nut job X, and have the utmost sympathy for you. She has done her best to make my life misereable and I still pay the max. amount of child support, and have done so since the day we seperated. I didn't need a court order to tell me that I was responsbile for the well being of my child.

Gioia

Mar 27, 2008
Spain
Education is realizing we really don't know much...that... we ain't as wise as most people think! it's not about infromation. Information is just empty data. What you do with what you know is a true sign of intelligence. Am I going to deep here?

cheers:D

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Gioia said:
Education is realizing we really don't know much...that... we ain't as wise as most people think! it's not about infromation. Information is just empty data. What you do with what you know is a true sign of intelligence. Am I going to deep here?

cheers:D
deep thought is good!:D

alikat618

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2008
PTC, Georgia
meow_173 said:
I totally agree. Its a job, and they are either trying to provide for their family, or themselves. And this is probabaly better than working at mcdonalds
My grandmother has to work at Walmart because my grandfather left her with nothing. She's retired with little money and she has said that the pay isn't great but it's better than working at McDonalds :). haha have you noticed how McDonalds catches a lot of crap. When people think of a bad low-end job they say McDonalds. You gotta do what you gotta do to stay alive and I admire anyone who goes out and does it. It's life!

Gothdad

PF Regular
Apr 19, 2008
Someones gotta do it right? Just be glad you dont. PPL get all wraped up in their occupaions. Thinkin their <I>job is so hard</I>. Ever watch dirty jobs? Its usualy something helpful to our social environment. Whats rilly sad is the laborers do the grunt work and still cant give their famley a real life. And by the way I have A GED, and Im in collage.