Spanking vs. Smacking...

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I believe that spanking/smacking encourages violence.

I always think back to this red neck mom I saw in the store years ago. She smacked the back of her kids head and said "don't hit your brother".

I understand, and have used the old saying do as I say and not as I do however I don't think it should apply towards violence.

I was spanked as a kid, and I guess I turned out ok but I think there are many much more healthy alternatives.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
Good Wolf said:
I believe that spanking/smacking encourages violence.

I always think back to this red neck mom I saw in the store years ago. She smacked the back of her kids head and said "don't hit your brother".

I understand, and have used the old saying do as I say and not as I do however I don't think it should apply towards violence.

I was spanked as a kid, and I guess I turned out ok but I think there are many much more healthy alternatives.
agree

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Good Wolf said:
...yeah - one time I broke my arm as a kid and "i turned out ok"... doesn't mean that breaking kids' arms is a good idea

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
evilbrent said:
...yeah - one time I broke my arm as a kid and "i turned out ok"... doesn't mean that breaking kids' arms is a good idea

Uh...maybe if your dad broke your arms as a punishment for playing with outlet covers you might not turn out ok :)

Let's compare apples to apples here Evil.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
FooserX said:
Uh...maybe if your dad broke your arms as a punishment for playing with outlet covers you might not turn out ok :)

Let's compare apples to apples here Evil.
I am.

Isn't that argument of the form "Bad stuff happened to me when I was a kid, but I turned out ok"?

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
evilbrent said:
I believe you are arguing with me while agreeing with me. I'm saying that in my opinion it is not a good idea to spank. Unless your saying that it is a good idea to spank then you are in fact arguing while agreeing.

Then again it could be that I misintrepreted your statement and you are agreeing with me while agreeing with me.