Spanking vs. Smacking...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
He really is a cutie patootie. I loved putting rompers like that on my son. I love those chunky baby feet too. ^i^

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
He's adorable, Lissa. And FWIW, I think moving the electronics was a smart and sanity-saving decision. :)

BethInAK

PF Enthusiast
Feb 17, 2008
Anchorage, AK
Hand smacking - for me it just felt wrong - trying to teach my child not to hit by hitting him. Didn't work for me- felt hypocritical.

However, in this last round of hitting (this is our third time extinguishing hitting and he's 2 1/2) I was at my wits end and tried it. And it worked!! For a single DAY. And then he'd just hit me back. My heart sunk - I didnt' know what to do - do I smack his hand harder?

And thats when I realized that my instincts about hitting are right for my child. I cant' hit him, because I'm teaching him hitting is wrong.

I know that each child is an individual. so YMMV.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
BethInAK said:
Hand smacking - for me it just felt wrong - trying to teach my child not to hit by hitting him. Didn't work for me- felt hypocritical.

However, in this last round of hitting (this is our third time extinguishing hitting and he's 2 1/2) I was at my wits end and tried it. And it worked!! For a single DAY. And then he'd just hit me back. My heart sunk - I didnt' know what to do - do I smack his hand harder?

And thats when I realized that my instincts about hitting are right for my child. I cant' hit him, because I'm teaching him hitting is wrong.

I know that each child is an individual. so YMMV.
the mileage is the same on hitting.

great post beth

Mrs.Rudnicki

Feb 29, 2008
No there is no difference, because it is sending the same message. Which is hitting is ok. Many studies have shown children dont learn from physical punishment. They only learn to fear from it. Obviously the argument would be "if i am only spanking my child, hand, bottom whatever ..it is not really hurting them so it's ok) Which is wrong, you are setting your child up to learn horrible habbits and lessons.

symphonyodd

PF Regular
Mar 3, 2008
Knee deep in laundry
musicmom said:
Isn't he two? Tapping his hand is fine. It's better then him going and putting something in a light socket or pulling something he's not supposed to. She has to do whatever to make sure he's safe. She is his guidance and there is nothing wrong with tapping his hand. That's what mothers do.
If she were a chicken she would peck him, or a dog would pounce on their pups. No mother in the world allows her child to get hurt.
I can agree most with this.

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Originally Posted by musicmom
[/URL]
<I>Isn't he two? Tapping his hand is fine. It's better then him going and putting something in a light socket or pulling something he's not supposed to. She has to do whatever to make sure he's safe. She is his guidance and there is nothing wrong with tapping his hand. That's what mothers do.
If she were a chicken she would peck him, or a dog would pounce on their pups. No mother in the world allows her child to get hurt.
</I>
symphonyodd: I can agree most with this.
my daughter wandered into the garden bed at my mother in law's house the other day. she almost trod on the roses. The truth is she simply didn't realise that there was such a thing there - it's a pretty drought-stricken excuse for a garden bed... when the lawn - bare - looks like the garden bed - bare - who's to say where you're allowed and not allowed to go.

but truth be told, the idea that she might have harmed the garden was less urgent than that the garden might have hurt her.

my mother in law helped her out of the garden bed and then drew her attention to the rose bush "Do you see this spike here? That would have spiked you if you'd gone any closer." My daughter took one look at that and took off in the other direction: she's not interested in what she calls 'spikies' of any kind.

In what way would smacking her hand have helped her to understand the dangers of the spiky rose bush any more than simply pointing out the danger to her? I've got a further question for the advanced student: in what ways would smacking her hand have CONFUSED the issue for her?

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
I've got a further question for the advanced student: in what ways would smacking her hand have CONFUSED the issue for her?
Simple...tell her to stay away from the rose bush, because it would hurt her, but then smack her, and hurt her. Why is one hurt bad, and the other hurt acceptable? :)

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
evilbrent said:
my daughter wandered into the garden bed at my mother in law's house the other day. she almost trod on the roses. The truth is she simply didn't realise that there was such a thing there - it's a pretty drought-stricken excuse for a garden bed... when the lawn - bare - looks like the garden bed - bare - who's to say where you're allowed and not allowed to go.

but truth be told, the idea that she might have harmed the garden was less urgent than that the garden might have hurt her.

my mother in law helped her out of the garden bed and then drew her attention to the rose bush "Do you see this spike here? That would have spiked you if you'd gone any closer." My daughter took one look at that and took off in the other direction: she's not interested in what she calls 'spikies' of any kind.
quote]

I have and do smack my child's hand on. In this situation though I wouldn't have. I would redirect. I just do not think redirecting their attention works in most cases. This one yes. Touching a dvd player, stereo, saying "no" and saying "oh look you could break the dvd player", it doesn't work.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Mrs.Rudnicki said:
No there is no difference, because it is sending the same message. Which is hitting is ok. Many studies have shown children dont learn from physical punishment. They only learn to fear from it. Obviously the argument would be "if i am only spanking my child, hand, bottom whatever ..it is not really hurting them so it's ok) Which is wrong, you are setting your child up to learn horrible habbits and lessons.
But what if the child is going for an electrical socket or something very dangerous? A 1 1/2 year old can't understand that it's dangerous and redirection doesn't always work.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
But what if the child is going for an electrical socket or something very dangerous? A 1 1/2 year old can't understand that it's dangerous and redirection doesn't always work.
exactly

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
Lissa said:

Uh...put an outlet cover on them.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
FooserX said:
Uh...put an outlet cover on them.
I have covers on them. But he tries to pull them off. And what about when we go to other people's houses where they don't have covers?