Taking picture of family member and uploading online acceptable?...

babymakerjones

May 27, 2010
is it okay to post pictures of your niece without asking her mom? I put her into a contest without asking permission, and I'm wondering if I win should I share the prize?
I took the picture and don't really want to share.

***MOD REMOVED SITE LINK***

I'm not a mom and welcome any advice. :)

kdryan

PF Fanatic
Jan 2, 2009
Fort Wayne, In
I wouldn't. Not only is it inconsiderate, it's probably not even legal. By entering a contest, you are entering into some kind of contract and with a minor you don't have the legal right to do that. As for posting them on the web, I don't want to be alarmist, because I think this kind of thing is WAY overblown, but if I found out you did it, I would be highly upset. No address or info is immediately available here, but you probably wouldn't want to be giving that info out, even to the contest organizers (the website). It exposes the squirt to all kinds of opportunity to be taken advantage of.

If you have mom's permission, then go for it, but behind her back is not cool...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
No, it is absolutely not okay in my opinion. I would be incredibly angry to find out someone posted a picture of my child on the internet without my permission, let alone entered it in a contest. Also, I'm going to have to say that its probably illegal and IF you do win anything you'll have to prove that you are her parent or guardian before accepting any rewards (I have looked into these contests before - you can't win anything unless you're the parent or guardian, otherwise you could just google cute baby pictures and pick one). So you're probably wasting time there, no offense.

Also, I removed the site link from your post. Its against the rules. Sorry about that.

http://www.parentingforums.org/f17/rules-guidelines-read-before-posting-7179.html[/URL]

Antoinette

PF Addict
Mar 2, 2010
Australia
i think it is illegal but I'm not 100% sure.. but it is definitely immoral i would be very annoyed if you posted pictures of my child on the internet without my permission

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Well if the person is out in public when the picture is taken (ie anybody could have taken the picture) then it's probably not illegal. But it certainly seems pretty selfish and inconsiderate.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Well not illegal to DO maybe, but illegal to try and claim any prizes for it. Unless its a photography contest - however it isn't, I clicked on the link and its a cute baby contest.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Or at least against the rules anyway. Here is just the first regular contest I can think of:

Online Baby Contests : Online Photo Contest : Rules : The Cute Kid

The FIRST rule: (and I've looked at lots of these pages, they all say this same thing)

1Parent or legal guardian must approve submission of the contestant's photo(s). By submitting a photo, parent or legal guardian grants TheCuteKid.com™ (a Parent Media Group, Inc. company) staff the right to publish submitted photo(s), child's name, city, and any captions submitted on TheCuteKid website and/or marketing materials.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh you know what, I looked at the site that was posted again and its one of those photo contest sites where you just post a bunch of pictures and the only ways to actually win anything are if you are the winner so many times or if you have posted so many pictures etc. No I don't think its against the rules there or anything, but I do still think its inconsiderate to do without permission.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
and besides those contests are pretty much scams (IMHO)

G&G entered DS 1 in a cute kid contest when he was like 2, it was at the mall, and he won cutest boy, cutest in his age group and cutest overall, and we were thinking, Damn, his modeling career might pay for our retirement! (j/k) but we looked into the "next step" of course there is a state contest, for which you have to submit all these fees for this and that and the other thing and as a parent, sell "ad space" (which means buy it yourself because nobody is going to buy an ad in a baby show program in another city, I mean come on really....) So, we ended up stuffing the trophies into a closet and moving on. He spotted them one day years later while we were cleaning out closets, and wanted to diplay them, and we were like , "um, No"...funny.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol that's so cool! I agree too, about those contests being a scam. I've never entered in any of them. Well one time a long time ago I entered in a free one through our local radio station but it was pretty blah. The ones that involve all those fees are total scams. But really any kind of career in that area involving kids and their looks will always cost the parents a ton of money to get started before they start making money off of it.

babymakerjones

May 27, 2010
Thanks for all the feedback. So does it depend on the rules of the site? I would post the link to the rules but the mod nix'd my last link and i don't want to get banned. some people are saying that's not okay because it's a contest, some say because it's not a "photo contest" which would be okay but since it's a baby contest, not okay.

I'm just looking for help. you can google the site if you want, but I don't want to get banned. it's not cutekidcontest.

please help

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
It has nothing to do with what contest it is or what the rules are. Its NOT OKAY to post pictures of SOMEBODY ELSE'S KID without their PERMISSION. Its rude and you're stepping over a line that would make a lot of parents angry. I wouldn't care if it was a contest or your facebook profile, I would be mad if you uploaded pictures of my kid without asking me first. Period.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
what would be your point of doing it without the parent's permission? Are you intentionally tryingg to make them made? I just don't get the motivation here....

Elise

Banned
May 31, 2010
I have worked in photography and yes it is in fact illegal to do so without the parents permission. You will have to have them sign a copyright release form that you should have submitted with the photo. Just because you take them doesn't mean they are yours if they have a minor in them.