Talking...

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
my 2 year old, Rafay, is saying only words and not proper sentences yet. is it all right? am really trying hard to get him to talk but he seems comfortable with his own sign language. we are also raising him bilingual and we speak english and Urdu both.

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
momat18 said:
my 2 year old, Rafay, is saying only words and not proper sentences yet. is it all right? am really trying hard to get him to talk but he seems comfortable with his own sign language. we are also raising him bilingual and we speak english and Urdu both.
I think its quite common for bilingual kids to seem to take a bit longer. I'm raising my DD bilingual too - at one point I also got a bit worried but at around three she suddenly started catching up really fast. Now she won't stay quiet for a minute! Lol.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
Singledad is right, but it would be within normal even if he weren't being raised bilingual.

And to help put it in perspective, my youngest sister said very few words until she was more than 2. The words she said were pronounced baby-like. Hs for Ss, etc.

She graduated valedictorian and was in the law review in law school. In other words, when children start speaking usually has little or nothing to do with anything else.

SpeechieK

Sep 19, 2011
The nearest toy or book store
The range of what is considered "normal" for developing language is vast so every child will be different and bilingual kids will be different again in that they take a while to figure out there are two languages going on and learn to fluidly switch between them.

Very rough guides - 1st words around a year, putting 2 words together at age 2. If these are not happening it is best to get a speech and language evaluation just to be on the safe side.

Most kids with language delay do catch up some with and some without help but children who are outside what is considered to be the normal range should be checked for hearing (fluid in their ears or a hearing loss) at the very least.

momat18

PF Regular
Aug 12, 2011
SpeechieK said:
The range of what is considered "normal" for developing language is vast so every child will be different and bilingual kids will be different again in that they take a while to figure out there are two languages going on and learn to fluidly switch between them.

Very rough guides - 1st words around a year, putting 2 words together at age 2. If these are not happening it is best to get a speech and language evaluation just to be on the safe side.

Most kids with language delay do catch up some with and some without help but children who are outside what is considered to be the normal range should be checked for hearing (fluid in their ears or a hearing loss) at the very least.
my child wasnt even saying mama at age one. but now he repeats almost everything that we say. he has become a talking parrot. he is 2 years 2 months now and he is still not putting two words together. he is saying only words. is there something to get worried about?

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
my multilingual children have all talked early, but we are a loud family!
My 17 month old makes sentences, her most common one is "daddy/C/G/whoever is near her, me more up mummy please" meaning 'person, pick me up and take me to mum.'

camnjane

Oct 19, 2011
Brisbane
My first borns' first words was not Mummy or better still Daddy but... wait for it... "Shoes!" It was about 1 year old which is a bit later than most but at 7 he has certainly more than made up for it! My second boy started "speaking" a whole lot earlier but has not progressed as well as his brother had at the same age. I think that individual personality has a lot to do with early talking and communication but overall, kids will speak when they are ready and whether it is early or late, they all seem to catch up in the end so long as there are no learning difficulties.

Polygloth

Oct 27, 2011
Panama City, Panama
From my own personal experience, when you get exposure to hear other languages at a very young age, it makes easier for you to have the correct pronunciation when you learn that language later.

Many studies confirm it and it is because, for example, you hear a word in one language that has sounds not being used in your own language, you repeat that word and for you it sounds good (because you are not used to that sound) but for a native speaker what you are saying does not have any sense.

Sounds familiar? That Spanish speaker or Indian guy at the grocery store who asked you something in grammatically perfect English but you were like... What?

What we do at home is to play cartoons in 6 different languages. We try to play the same cartoon in a different language after they so it in English, Spanish or Romanian so they know already what it is about.

We speak English, Spanish and Romanian at home and those are the L1 of our children. We want them to learn German, French, Hindi and Mandarin.

It is really hard to find exactly the same cartoons in different languages, sometimes we get them in other languages too just to make them familiar to other sounds.

kvtsharma

Nov 1, 2011
Babies generally start expressing their first words between 11 and 14 months. The child actually begins to form utterances earlier or later than this, but you can be sure that around this time the baby will start developing the ability to speak. By 18 months, you should be expecting the child to be able to say up to 20 words, and string some very basic sentences together.[/COLOR]

chinyc26

Jan 18, 2012
hey, congrats on your little girl saying her 1st words. I know as a concern parent you would like to know if your child is up to speed with your son. Well from the ages of 0-2 years old a child is to be in the Sesorimotor stage, where he or she is capble of coordinating the activites of their senses with motor activites.
So your daughter can say full sentenses but she could use Holophases, which is using a single that has many meaning using diferent tones, so muuuummmm...lol means hey mom look at me, I want your attention.

It looks like your doing the right thing with your child and your daughter is heading in the right direction.

have fun... chi