The Playground...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Father_0f_6 said:
child: I want that one
dad: okay just grab it
shoulda grabbed a couple of bags of "Meaty Bits" on the way....(is it shoplifting if the "Merchandize" walks out of its own accord?)

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
So, I'm really bored today...(I have plenty to do, just can't get motivated to do it, and when people ask me stupid questions, I can't help but glaze over and start to drool.)

So, a couple random thougths here.

Maguire's "Plastix" saved my marriage last night.

and there's not much that isn't funny about 3 yos playing soccer (except maybe an unintensional, but exquisitely executed slide tackle on a little blonde munchkin...okay, it was funny...not for her...but, if it was on youtube, you'd laugh...)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Jeremy+3 said:
Oh, I really don't like that colour yellow especially with the black, at least you'll have loads of time off work. Our roof needed repairing once, it took three months, those three months were so good.
lol There's not really any yellow in the store, our walls are all white, my friend took the picture with his phone so the lighting was bad and the quality isn't as good as it gets. So the coloring is a little off.

I thought it would take them awhile, but my manager called me up this morning to tell me they were back up and running this morning! I haven't seen how it looks so I don't know what they did to it, but I work Friday so I'll see it then. I thought it was going to take so much longer! lol

IADad said:
um, looks like somebody's stealing a dog...
Haha! Its just a customer with his dog. And the other two guys are managers. Grooming manager and stock manager. But yeah, don't worry we don't sell dogs at PetSmart LOL. We just let them come in. :D

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
hhhmmm, so when they say "we're grooming you for management" they really mean it...

and

I've only been to Petsmart once (not having a pet and all) and I swore they sold dogs....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
haha nope, we only have cats for adoption through local shelters, which is a part of our charity. We can't have dogs because its against the law to have them in a cage all day, and we don't have any way of letting them out or anything. Something like that. Either way, they would still only be for adoption because we're not a pet store. We do however have fish, birds, and small animals for sale.

You know what's funny? I don't have any pets either, and I work there. :p I'm also not a dog person, I love to see them and pet them but I couldn't ever own one because they completely gross me out. o__o I know, I'm weird. I love animals though.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
oh, and oops, it was that other store (where the pet's go.....) ;-) that I was thinking of...we don't have a petsmart here.

I know what you mean about dogs, I like them, I wouldn't want them in my house...I've only ever had outside dogs (lived on farm) DW thinks she wants a dog, who will stay outside, but then come inside if I'm out of town or something, and I'm thinking that's a collosal bad idea...I don't think you can have different come inside, go outside rules or they'll be confused as can be...

maybe we could have one that stayed outside all day and came in each night, and that was its regular routine...

then finding a breed is the big problem..she want's a dog scary enough to scare away intruders but be good with kids...I'm thinking mutt is the best we can do.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
We have a Petco down the road, don't worry I'm not offended everyone I know hates it there lol and I don't care I don't own PetSmart I just work there. ;) Our Petco doesn't sell dogs either, but I don't know if that differs at other Petco's. It might. :)

You want to be careful having a dog outside, because without proper socialization there's no way of guaranteeing he will be good with kids. I think its ok to have outside dogs when you live on a farm or something, but if you have a regular house I think keeping a dog outside can be a bad idea for a lot of reasons.

Do you want a big dog or a little dog? I think almost any breed would be fine as long as you had him trained and socialized properly. Its a pain in the butt and requires a lot of time and effort, but its TOTALLY worth it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
yeah, that's the thing. We have plenty of space, but it's DW who seems to really want a dog (and it's me who I know is going to take care of said dog.)

Case and point, DWs parents had a dog, a lovely chow/black lab mix...was longer haired like a chow but black hair that kind of had a red/purle shine to it in the sun, a little bigger than your egualr chow.

First of all, this dog was a gift - bad idea - never ever gift a pet as a gift unless you know it's really wanted and it's a good situation.

So, they deccide to move from their acerage to town, so they are going to put this dog down (just for convenience...) we stepped in and said, "no, you're not going to destroy this dog, just because you don't want to take him to town, we'll take him.

So we setup a great doghouse for him, a big long cable run etc....it was always me who fed and cared for this dog, until he got cancer up into his leg and legitimately needed to be put down.

I just know it'd be the best of intentions but a dog wouldn't get enough attention and I'm not going to be a part of bringing one into that situation...

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
There are so many great dogs out there. Our newest, Marly, is outside most of the day (by choice) and only comes in at night when I am ready to go to sleep, he sleeps with me, so he waits until I am ready. On occasion he might come in during the day and take a nap but that's about it.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Father_0f_6 said:
German Shephards are great for that.
We have one but she's mixed with a Golden Retriever.
DW grew up with a Shepard, She doesn't meantion wanting one, I wonder if she misses her old dog too much to go back there ore something.

She seems to think she wants an Akita, but it seems like that's a breed you have to be so careful about breeding and socializtion, both from a temperament and a joint health persepctive, that I think we want to stay away from it, or consider as part of a mix.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
I've never heard of people having outside dogs, seems a bit odd really.
seems a bit odd to have never heard of outside dogs...I thought dog houses were pretty common across at least the western world...bitsforpets.com seems to be a UK based website that sells them, so I really don't see how it's such a foreign concept.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
IADad said:
seems a bit odd to have never heard of outside dogs...I thought dog houses were pretty common across at least the western world...bitsforpets.com seems to be a UK based website that sells them, so I really don't see how it's such a foreign concept.
Yes we have dog houses (kennels), but they are used for when the dog lounges in the garden for a few minutes, or in the summer to get some shade for a few minutes. A dog would freeze in one of those in winter.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Jeremy+3 said:
A dog would freeze in one of those in winter.

pardon me, I don't mean to be rude, but "pffffftttt."

Most dogs, need only a little shelter even in the coldest of conditions. a dry place for the paws and let their body heat do the rest.

The dog I spoke of, would sit in his dog house in -20F weather, with his face stuck out of the opening because he was too hot. In one of his dog houses, there was one of thos clear plastic strip "doors" on the front and it only took him about 2 days to rip the plastic sheets off. Dogs are furry mamals just like cattle and horses who all live pretty commonly outside. The only reason for a dog to be inside is because the owners need them to be in.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
ElliottCarasDad said:
I've come to believe one fact with my kids...

Toys are nothing more than stools to stand on. :)
they work best if they have wheels or are otherwise unstable.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
IADad said:
they work best if they have wheels or are otherwise unstable.
lol, YES!

and there needs to be an assortment of smaller sharp toys scattered around to help break the inevitable fall and leave neat looking impressions!