The Terrifying Side Effects of Prescription Drugs...

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
just scary
The Terrifying Side Effects of Prescription Drugs - Articles

Every year, more than 2 million Americans suffer from serious adverse drug reactions. According to the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), these reactions cause about 100,000 deaths per year, making prescription drugs the fourth-leading cause of death in the country.

Compare this to the death toll from illegal drugs -- which is about 10,000 per year -- and you begin to see the magnitude of the problem.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
yulia said:

I've never experienced any of those side effects, but had a scary adventure earlier this week due to a prescription drug. On April 4th I had a hysterectomy. My GYN wanted to prescribe narcotic pain killers, but I refused because they make me sicker than a dog with nausea, vomitting and dry heaves. Instead, she prescribed 800mg Motrin. It worked great for the pain, but on Monday I began experiencing chest pain and shortness of breath. My DH took me to the ER. They ran all kinds of tests, primarily concerned of an embolism, which is a possible complication after surgery. Turned out to be severe heartburn caused by the prescription Motrin. I've never had heartburn like <I>that</I> before! My doctor said it's not unusual, but they are cautious just in case it is a blood clot. I'm now on OTC extra strength Tylenol. It's not working quite as well to kill to pain, but it's bearable.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Yulia it has to be sad that in your world you are living in so much fear. Has anyone told you that you are going to die regaurdless of what you do. You could get hit by a truck walking out in the road.
Nothing is going to create immortality hun.
Unless you live in a bubble life is going to happen. It's called the cycle of life.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
I'm so sorry you had to have the surgery :( .

with both of my c-sections I refused any further pain meds as soon as I was in my room.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
musicmom said:
Yulia it has to be sad that in your world you are living in so much fear.
I'd rather call it awareness, hun :rolleyes:

If someone is willing to inject her child with neuro-toxins and diseases in order to prevent a small chance of a disease that isn't deadly even IF you get it or feeds her child with antibiotics (that kill all gut flora…the foundation of health) “just in case”, to prevent a possible ear infection after a cold THAT would be my example of FEAR.[/COLOR]

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
yulia said:
I'm so sorry you had to have the surgery :( .

with both of my c-sections I refused any further pain meds as soon as I was in my room.
A hysterectomy was definitely necessary. TMI, but I bled so much during my last period that I needed a blood transfusion.

I only took OTC Motrin after both my c-sections.

Yulia, I'm surprised your babies were delivered via c-section, since you're so gung ho against meds and medical intervention, etc.. I assume your c-sections were medically necessary, such as mine.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
yulia said:
ask your son 20 years from now if he wishes you'd be more aware of some things back when he was born ;)

OK, this is getting really old. Why can't you "agree to disagree" and leave it at that? There is no point in pushing this issue any further.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Trina said:
OK, this is getting really old. Why can't you "agree to disagree" and leave it at that? There is no point in pushing this issue any further.
well, why can't she leave her ugly sneaky comments in all my posts to herself??? that is something that *really* grows old.

she calls awareness fear. so i was wondering what in her brilliant dictionary would be the definition for amputating a body part in order to prevent 0.01% of some treatable problems???

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
It's called MY choice. You have a hard time Yulia understanding that we have choices no matter if you like them or not. If I decided to pierce my childs nose I can and could care less what you think. Wake up already.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Yulia, Although I don't agree with all of your beliefs, I respect your right to do what you think is the best for your family. People would be more open to your POV if you did the same.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
There are some of us who have no choice but to take prescription drugs on a daily basis even though we would rather not. I'm aware of all the dangers with the drugs I take but I wouldn't survive without them.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Lissa said:
There are some of us who have no choice but to take prescription drugs on a daily basis even though we would rather not. I'm aware of all the dangers with the drugs I take but I wouldn't survive without them.

Good point, Lissa. In many cases, the benefits out weigh the risks.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Trina said:
Yulia, I'm surprised your babies were delivered via c-section, since you're so gung ho against meds and medical intervention, etc.. I assume your c-sections were medically necessary, such as mine.
that it would be very risky to deliver it vaginally. What I didn't know back then, is that it is dangerous to deliver breech with american DOCTORS BECAUSE they are simply NOT trained to deliver breeches. A lot of midwifes deliver breeches on a regular basic with no problems what so ever, as do doctors of plenty of other countries around the world. My mom, by the way, delivered both me and my brother with no problems; my brother was a feetling breech and I was a frank one...duh...

With my second pregnancy I was trying to do a HBAC (home VBAC), but ended up with another c-section due to thick meconium. As we found out later, I had two openings in my scar and my daughter was a frank breech (with a hip dysplasia). So, Unlike my first c-section, I consider the second one being the right choice and therefore, do not regret it.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Both times, by the way, I was given extremely hard time for declining the pain meds. But I just figured that my babies had enough of this junk as it is and there was no way I’d be feeding them more of it through my breastmilk.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="yulia;45118"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Both times, by the way, I was given extremely hard time for declining the pain meds. But I just figured that my babies had enough of this junk as it is and there was no way I’d be feeding them more of it through my breastmilk.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I had to quit breastfeeding because I needed medication. &lt;E&gt;:(&lt;/E&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
that it would be very risky to deliver it vaginally. What I didn't know back then, is that it is dangerous to deliver breech with american DOCTORS BECAUSE they are simply NOT trained to deliver breeches. A lot of midwifes deliver breeches on a regular basic with no problems what so ever, as do doctors of plenty of other countries around the world. My mom, by the way, delivered both me and my brother with no problems; my brother was a feetling breech and I was a frank one...duh...

With my second pregnancy I was trying to do a HBAC (home VBAC), but ended up with another c-section due to thick meconium. As we found out later, I had two openings in my scar and my daughter was a frank breech (with a hip dysplasia). So, Unlike my first c-section, I consider the second one being the right choice and therefore, do not regret it.[/quote]
One of the first things you notice while visiting Russia is that the country looks like it has survived a recent war. The disastrous condition of the country's infrastructure, from its roads to its factories, reveals the consequences of diverting critically needed funding from communities to support military expansion during the country's communist days.
The Russian health care system is no exception. Life expectancy for men has declined from an average of 67 years to 57 years, and drug-resistant strains of tuberculosis are epidemic. To make matters worse, Russia has the highest incidence of myocardial infarction and stroke of all industrialized nations, with a stroke rate reportedly five times that of comparable industrialized nations.
For the last year, the College's Board of Regents has been considering ways to expand its international activities and improve health care in other countries. Toward that goal, ACP-ASIM will launch the Eurasian Medical Education Project at the end of this year. The project, which was proposed by Richard G. Farmer, MACP, Edward Burger, MD, and William A. Reynolds, MACP, will strive to give Russian physicians the training and tools they need to treat three major diseases: hypertension, diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis.
Completely funded by the United States Agency for International Development (USAID), this ambitious project will teach Russian physicians how to use up-to-date protocols and information to care for these diseases. The program will use the "train-the-trainer" model, in which physicians show other physicians how to serve as teachers. To date, almost all successful collaborative education programs in the Russian Federated Republics have used this model.

I guess our American Doctors aren't so bad that they are teaching Russian Doctors huh?<EMOJI seq="1f615">:confused:</EMOJI>