The Terrifying Side Effects of Prescription Drugs...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
just because a country lacks behind in some areas does not mean they lack behind all. Most other countries do not go to doctors for delivering babies. Labor is considered a disorder here and treated as a medical problem.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
<r><QUOTE author="Kaytee;45140"><s>
Kaytee said:
</s>just because a country lacks behind in some areas does not mean they lack behind all. Most other countries do not go to doctors for delivering babies. Labor is considered a disorder here and treated as a medical problem.<e>
</e></QUOTE>
&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Exactly! here a pregnant woman is being treated as a very sick one! the whole bunch of tests are being constantly run, scare tactics freely used to make sure she remains a "good girl" for the doctors.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt; &lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="maroon"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;! WAY TO GO!&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
that it would be very risky to deliver it vaginally. What I didn't know back then, is that it is dangerous to deliver breech with american DOCTORS BECAUSE they are simply NOT trained to deliver breeches. A lot of midwifes deliver breeches on a regular basic with no problems what so ever, as do doctors of plenty of other countries around the world. My mom, by the way, delivered both me and my brother with no problems; my brother was a feetling breech and I was a frank one...duh...

With my second pregnancy I was trying to do a HBAC (home VBAC), but ended up with another c-section due to thick meconium. As we found out later, I had two openings in my scar and my daughter was a frank breech (with a hip dysplasia). So, Unlike my first c-section, I consider the second one being the right choice and therefore, do not regret it.[/quote]

I was born in a Canadian hospital, feet first, vaginally, and almost died. The cord was wrapped around my neck, and I was blue from lack of oxygen. My Mom said a c-section was never mentioned as an option, but I think it should have been. I thank God my delivery had an happy ending.

I was in labor with my first baby for 48 hours. Fully dilated and no baby for HOURS. They finally took an x-ray and learned DS's head was wedged against my heart-shaped pelvis. NO baby would ever fit through. C-section was the only possible way to deliver for me.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Trina said:
I was born in a Canadian hospital, feet first, vaginally, and almost died. The cord was wrapped around my neck, and I was blue from lack of oxygen. My Mom said a c-section was never mentioned as an option, but I think it should have been. I thank God my delivery had an happy ending.

I was in labor with my first baby for 48 hours. Fully dilated and no baby for HOURS. They finally took an x-ray and learned DS's head was wedged against my heart-shaped pelvis. NO baby would ever fit through. C-section was the only possible way to deliver for me.
I bet your mom was made to labor/birth on her back in spite of gravity (instead of using it as a help). Plus when a woman labor on her back, the baby doesn’t receive as much oxygen as it would have received in pretty much any other position. </SIZE>[/FONT]
Midwifes, again deliver babies with cord wrapped around the neck (often few times) ALL THE TIME and they will tell you that this isn’t a big deal at all.</SIZE>[/FONT]

It very well might be that while your mom was not offered a c-section, the doctors still had no clue how to deliver a breech baby CORRECTLY. For example, when my head got stuck, my mom told me that the doctor stuck her fingers inside her and into my mouth and this way she got me “unstuck” in a second. Had she been not trained this <U>specific method of delivering a breech baby</U>, it would have been a VERY DANGOROUS situation which may result in a bad outcome.</SIZE>[/FONT]

Once again, I am very glad that in some cases (like my second one and yours) c-section IS an option, but there is no doubt that this <U>major abdominal surgery</U> is BADLY overused by american doctors. </SIZE>[/FONT]

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
While the tone is often confrontational on it's own, the writing in red doesn't help much. It kind of fuels anger.

That said, like most forums, I beleive this one has an ignore feature. I do not like to repeatedly read the same thing, nor the tone it is generally written in, so I will be blocking her out.
I would recommend that if you clash with somebody, simply ignore them. Then they don't feel attacked and you aren't irritated...

budnkota

PF Fanatic
Mar 28, 2008
Indiana
on second look, I don't see how to ignore, which surprises me. I've been on another forum for years with a lot of different personalities, and some love to bicker with one another. IGNORE saves everybody a lot of what they don't want to be exposed to, while still allowing participation in threads that may be of interest otherwise. I don't know the mods reasoning for not using this, but I think it's a very good thing to have...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
budnkota said:
I can't speak for her, but I get the impression that Yulia feels like she is being attacked sometimes...
well she is, and I have seen her do some attacking before as well. But so far this thread is fine and dandy!! lol

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
You keep talking down about American Dr's. Not only in this post but many others. I'm pointing out the fact. You are so ANTI ANTI ANTI that you've become blind. I might even say brainwashed.
I don't know why all you can talk about is controversial mumbo jumbo instead of having a normal parenting conversation. When anyone says otherwise you flip out.
What are YOU doing to change the world besides copy and pasting behind your computer? Honestly.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
music: you need to calm down, you are very close to crossing the line. Yulia has posted nothing to you directly in this regard, so if you don't want to talk about what she posted then don't reply at all.
If you have even opened your eyes a tad you would see she also had a very nice conversation about American doctors and her much needed c-section. So agian, if you have nothing to add to this thread, then do not reply again. THanks

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
My husband was on medication for an adrenaline addiction (yes, i am serious!). One night he starting having nightsweats so bad he soaked the mattress through, and was dangerously dehydrated. His temperature dropped severely, he had a 4 day long migraine and chronic heartburn. He was drinking 3 gallons of water a day and could barely keep hydrated. Insomnia, diarrhea, and a laundry list of other things. It turns out his medication was shutting down his pancreas.

It nearly killed him.

As for me, I hate medication. I have been prescribed a pharmacy's worth of drugs for depression, anxiety, suicide, and all those other fun things that I actually do struggle with. I stopped taking them years ago and now I am on a strict regimen of self-therapy. It includes some pretty bizarre stuff, but it works, and I am healthier. My drugs would make it impossible to sleep, and I was so thin I could barely function.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
I haven't read this whole thread, but I am completely confused.

Is it news to people that prescription drugs have potential side effects and that some of these may be serious? With anything you ingest, inject, inhale, or come into contact with - prescription drug or otherwise - there is a possibility of a bad event.

Here's an example: You pass a kidney stone. This hurts like heck, so you want to avoid another. Your doctor prescribes a substance and asks you to take as much of it as is comfortable or needed, ideally every hour. You overdo it and end up with brain swelling and seizures. What was the substance? Water.

Here's another example: You have aches and pains that are getting more bothersome. It's not bad enough for surgery and a narcotic is not a good idea, so your doctor prescribes something else that you can get over-the-counter. Unfortunately, you mess up the dose and take it every 4 hours instead of every 8 hours. You end up killing your liver and need a transplant or you will die. The drug: Tylenol Arthritis Pain, which has more of the drug per capsule than regular Tylenol.

Last example: You take ibuprofen regularly for years for all sorts of bothersome pain that doesn't warrant stronger stuff: cramps, pulled muscles, headaches, etc. One day you start vomiting blood. The cause: You drilled a hole in your GI system with too much nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like ibuprofen.

There is a reason pharmacies provide extensive information about possible side effects and drug/food interactions. There is also a ton of more reputable information on the net. A person can also ask their MD or pharmacist for more info. The info is available, and people bear some responsibility for their own health care.

I had an anaphylactic reaction to an antibiotic. It was bad as my mouth started to swell up and the smaller airways in my lungs closed down a bit (it doesn't help that I have asthma). I had to have immediate treatment or I would have stopped breathing. But an allergic reaction is possible with any drug, just like it is possible with most food groups. I knew this when I took the drug. I still was surprised, of course, when things started to go very badly very quickly, but the risk is always there.

The FDA has plenty of info on prescription drugs, including possible side effects and interactions. If you Google something like "FDA [name of drug] label" (minus the quotes, of course) you generally can pull up the insert info if you didn't get this already from your pharmacy.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="yulia;45118"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Both times, by the way, &lt;U&gt;&lt;s&gt;<U>&lt;/s&gt;I was given extremely hard time for declining the pain meds&lt;e&gt;</U>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/U&gt;. But I just figured that my babies had enough of this junk as it is and there was no way I’d be feeding them more of it through my breastmilk.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

No one should badger you into anything, but they probably had your health and your post-partum experience, including bonding and nursing your child, in mind.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
With regard to your health and the PP period: People in pain do less well after abdominal surgery because they don't breathe as deeply, so the small parts of their lungs can collapse. They also tend to walk less, putting them at risk for blood clots, which can kill if they go to the lungs. Walking less also slows down the deconditioning that most women experience in their last few weeks/months of pregnancy. Lastly, overall, patients with post-op pain tend to have longer and more difficult recoveries, which can make caring for a newborn, including nursing with a section incision, more difficult. So they may also have been wanting you to take the meds to be able to provide optimum care for your newborn and have an easier postpartum period.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Another reason is that many people are reluctant to ask for pain meds even if they want them because they don't want the medical staff to think they are weak or needy. Given the stuff I talked about above, the med staff may have wanted to make sure that you knew that pain meds were available, helpful, and fully approved. I can guarantee you that they personally didn't care - the nurses aren't getting paid per prescription written and they have no personal stake in whether any patient does/does not take their meds. They probably were just trying to optimize your post-partum period and make you as comfortable as possible.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
I had to decline most pain meds when I broke my back and when I had my c-section. I vomit for hours on pretty much any narcotic (really fun with a broken back). It made regaining my strength after the back injury much more difficult and nursing my twins very uncomfortable for quite a while.&lt;/r&gt;

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="yulia;45614"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
yulia said:
&lt;/s&gt;Unintentional Overdoses are Common in Children &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;Unintentional Overdoses are Common in Children - Articles&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

From your link: &lt;COLOR color="Sienna"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Almost half of the adverse drug events were unintentional overdoses, mostly from pain relief and respiratory medications.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Yes, Yulia. That is why the FDA has warned parents not to give infants and toddlers over-the-counter cough and cold meds - they are too easy for parents to OD their kids by accident and haven't proven effective. The link is about data from 2004 and 2005. The FDA issued warnings in 2007 and 2008. This caused a bunch of major manufacturers of these products to withdraw them, so many are no longer on the market. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
In 2007 an FDA panel has also recommended that OTC cough and cold remedies not be used in kids under six. It is further investigating the safety and efficacy of many OTC drugs for older kids as well. &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
FDA News (Jan. 17, 2008): &lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;FDA Releases Recommendations Regarding Use of Over-the-Counter Cough and Cold Products&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/URL]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="Blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The U.S. Food and Drug Administration today issued a Public Health Advisory for parents and caregivers, recommending that over-the-counter (OTC) cough and cold products should not be used to treat infants and children less than 2 years of age because serious and potentially life-threatening side effects can occur from such use. OTC cough and cold products include decongestants, expectorants, antihistamines, and antitussives (cough suppressants) for the treatment of colds. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="Blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;There are a wide variety of rare, serious adverse events reported with cough and cold products. They include death, convulsions, rapid heart rates, and decreased levels of consciousness....&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
...&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
FDA Public Health Advisory (Aug, 15, 2007): &lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Nonprescription Cough and Cold Medicine Use in Children&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="Blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;FDA announced today that, in October, the Nonprescription Drugs Advisory Committee will discuss the safety and effectiveness of cough and cold drug product use in children. Questions have been raised about the safety of these products and whether the benefits justify any potential risks from the use of these products in children, especially in children under 2 years of age. In preparation for the meeting, FDA is reviewing safety and efficacy data for the ingredients of these products. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;COLOR color="Blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt; &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="Blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Some reports of serious adverse events associated with the use of these products appear to be the result of giving too much of these medicines to children. An over-the-counter cough and cold medicine can be harmful if more than the recommended amount is used, if it is given too often, or if more than one cough and cold medicine containing the same active ingredient are being used. To avoid giving a child too much medicine, parents must carefully follow the directions for use of the product in the “Drug Facts” box on the package label.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="Blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;What should parents know about using cough and cold products in children?&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;LIST&gt;&lt;s&gt;<LIST>
  • <LI>&lt;/s&gt;
    &lt;LI&gt;&lt;s&gt;</LI><LI>
  • &lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="Blue"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Do &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;I&gt;&lt;s&gt;<I>&lt;/s&gt;not&lt;e&gt;</I>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/I&gt; &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;use cough and cold products in children under 2 years of age UNLESS given specific directions to do so by a healthcare provider....&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/LI&gt;&lt;e&gt;</LI>
</LIST>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/LIST&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
Ok, I have to ask this, even if it's gonna caused problems, but...

Since when has putting warnings on something actually swayed the population? There are warnings all over cigarettes, and yet people smoke. You have no idea how my times I have had parents say, "Just cut a pill in half and give that to her...". Bottom line: Drugs in general are dangerous! I avoid them if I can. Willow bark kills pain, peppermint soothes tummies, and baking soda breaks gas bubbles.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
ivybendorf said:
Bottom line: Drugs in general are dangerous! I avoid them if I can. Willow bark kills pain, peppermint soothes tummies, and baking soda breaks gas bubbles.
I agree that people need to understand that anything you ingest can cause problems. Many people are, IMO, much too quick to demand a drug for something that could be resolved with nonmedication approaches or will simply resolve on its own in a short time.

But I would also apply the same caution to herbal remedies. Herbal remedies do not go through the rigorous regulatory requirements that prescription drugs must. Study after study have found that many herbal remedies do not have nearly the amount of the desired ingredient in them as the labels say.

Other studies have found harmful ingredients that were not listed on the label. When you take an herbal remedy, you must realize you are taking an unknown dose of a substance with unknown purity and possible other active ingredients. Herbal remedies are not even required to go through the first step of drug testing, which is determining whether they are safe and effective. Many very popular herbal remedies have been found to be completely ineffective, but sales continue.

Herbals are not required to provide information about possible side effects, despite the fact that some have some very serious possible SEs.

Herbals also do not have information about interactions with other herbals or prescription drugs, and this has caused a lot of people big problems. Some examples are St. John's Wort causing mental changes when taken with some antidepressants, and ginko interacting with aspirin to cause serious bleeding.

Whether the manufacturers want to admit it or not, herbals can pose as serious a threat as prescription meds. They also can be completely useless, which may cause a person to think they are treating a problem when they really are not, and that also can endanger a person's health.