The Terrifying Side Effects of Prescription Drugs...

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
???? Who said anything about purchasing them? I grow my own herbals. No pesticides, and I know potency. The commercial herbal market is just as nuts as the pharmaceuticals. You do a little reading and herbals are easy on your own, and frankly, I think its every family's responsibility to take as active a role in their health care as possible.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
musicmom said:
What are YOU doing to change the world besides copy and pasting behind your computer?
This is a good question for anyone here ... including yourself

ivybendorf said:
Since when has putting warnings on something actually swayed the population? There are warnings all over cigarettes, and yet people smoke. You have no idea how my times I have had parents say, "Just cut a pill in half and give that to her...".
Then why is stupidity accepted for an excuse and a law suit? Why can I OD on Tylenol, and then sue because I didnt head the warnings?

ivybendorf said:
Willow bark kills pain, peppermint soothes tummies, and baking soda breaks gas bubbles.
Many people are unaware of herbal, as well, its against the law for USA Doctors to recommend herbal treatments.

<SIZE size="150">Number of American <U>deaths per year</U> that result directly or primarily from the following selected causes nationwide, according to World Almanacs, Life Insurance Actuarial (death) Rates, and the last 20 years of U.S. Surgeon Generals' reports. </SIZE>

TOBACCO 340,000 to 450,000
Poor Diet and Physical Inactivity 365,000
ALCOHOL (Not including 50% of all highway deaths and 65% of all murders)
150,000+ ASPIRIN (Including deliberate overdose) 180 to 1,000+
CAFFEINE (From stress, ulcers, and triggering irregular heartbeats, etc.) 1,000 to 10,000
"LEGAL" DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from legal, prescribed or patent medicines and/or mixing with alcohol - e.g. Valium/alcohol 14,000 to 27,000
ILLICIT DRUG OVERDOSE (Deliberate or accidental) from all illegal drugs. 3,800 to 5,200

btw ... marijuana is 0 ... hmmm Canucks are onto something ....

ivybendorf

PF Enthusiast
Mar 2, 2008
Oklahoma
hwnorth said:
Then why is stupidity accepted for an excuse and a law suit? Why can I OD on Tylenol, and then sue because I didnt head the warnings?

Many people are unaware of herbal, as well, its against the law for USA Doctors to recommend herbal treatments.
hwnorth said:
Thats my point exactly. People don't read the label, do something stupid, and then get away with it. They don't take the time to educate themselves about what they are putting into their bodies, or safer alternatives. The pharmaceutical industry is cashing in on this. They are selling products that, despite the initial intention of healing, are more dangerous than most common recreational drugs, and they are making a windfall from it because they are backed by the government. Pharmaceuticals companies are basically legalized, industrialized drug dealers, doctors are their pushers, and the government is their backer. The whole nation has basically become prescription druggies, and they don't even know it, or that there is an alternative.

There IS a market for drug companies. There are major illnesses that are better combated with man-made chemical compounds than herbals ones. But I think the need for them stops there. The addiction to cough medicines, painkillers, mental adjusters must end because it is killing the people who take them. I read an article the other day (hell if I can find it now...) that said most major cities had measurable quantities of over 20 prescription drugs in the city water. Water that had already gone through treatment plants and was now being consumed by the populous.

Warning labels and lawsuits be damned, it has got to end.

**dismounts from soapbox and retires**

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
ivybendorf said:
???? Who said anything about purchasing them? I grow my own herbals. No pesticides, and I know potency. The commercial herbal market is just as nuts as the pharmaceuticals. You do a little reading and herbals are easy on your own, and frankly, I think its every family's responsibility to take as active a role in their health care as possible.
My post was a general warning, Ivy, and not personal.

But even if one grows one's own herbs and does not use pesticides, there are still dangers, just like there are dangers to over-the-counter and prescription drugs. These include interactions with other substances and dosage problems (most herbals have not undergone rigorous testing to determine effictive doses). Also, the potency of herbals can vary from crop-to-crop and by variety of plant used, so it is difficult for most people to know the true potency of home-grown or store-bought herbals.

I think your last statement is fantastic and worth repeating. Ivy said: I completely agree.

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Shocking Facts About the Pharmaceutical Industry

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2008/04/19/shocking-facts-about-the-pharmaceutical-industry.aspx[/COLOR][/URL]

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
yulia - is this truly news to you ? I though as a general it was common knowledge. I believe they call it capitalization of a market ... you know .. the same thing Bill Gates was sued over.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
whats sad, is it is not common knowledge. Many people believe vaccines/ meds and the such are all safe. Doctors reccomend them so why would they reccomend me to give it to my child then?

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;COLOR color="darkred"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Medicine's Dirty Little Secret&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt; &lt;br/&gt;
&lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;Medicine's Dirty Little Secret - Articles&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;&lt;br/&gt;

&lt;QUOTE&gt;&lt;s&gt;
&lt;/s&gt;When the NNT statistic was first developed in 1988, it was intended to help you make a decision about whether or not to take a drug. After all, having it put in simple terms such as “Out of every 50 people who take this drug, perhaps one heart attack will be prevented, and the other 49 people will receive no benefit,” puts things into perspective … a perspective that the drug companies do not want you to see.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
One of the most blatant examples of how drug companies have hidden NNT for their own self-serving purposes lies with &lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;cholesterol drugs&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/URL]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;. These drugs, which can cause side effects like liver damage, muscle weakness, cognitive impairment and many, many others, are touted as miracle pills that can slash your risk of a heart attack by more than one-third.&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Well, &lt;URL url="&lt;/s&gt;cholesterol-lowering drug Lipitor&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/URL]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/URL&gt;...&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#FF0000"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Many Drugs are “Worse Than a Lottery Ticket”&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
According to Dr. Nortin M. Hadler, professor of medicine at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, in Business Week:&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
"Anything over an NNT of 50 is worse than a lottery ticket; there may be no winners."&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Did you know most accidents take place within two miles of your own home? Risks are everywhere.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Iceberg lettuce is the devil. It can kill rabbits. NEVER feed rabbits iceberg lettuce.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I like it when Oliver says poopy. It's soooooooooo adorable. He's really good at enunciating these days.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Oh, I'm just kidding and trying to lighten up the mood. ;) I'm so over the OT of this thread. :rolleyes: