Toddler Car Seat...

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
Hey Mommies and Daddies,
Hope u all r doing good! I had a quick question abt the toddler car seat.....which i've been researching and planning to buy. I read that rear facing ur child is the safest way and shud be done for as long as possible....even upto 5 years. How would the child sit comfortably and where do they keep their feet? How many of u'll are or were rear facing the kid and upto what age?
And which car seat did u buy?? I'm still deciding if i shud get the toddler seat for now and get the booster later or get the convertible type?
It's quite confusing..so i thought i'll get ur advice and reviews of the ones u r using!
Please share ur thoughts!
Thanks,
Samy.

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Samy27 said:
I read that rear facing ur child is the safest way and shud be done for as long as possible....even upto 5 years.
I have never heard that before.

My oldest got too tall to face backwards before she got heavy enough to face forward and the doc told me to flip the seat around anyways so she wouldn't break her legs if we were in an accident.

Nikita

PF Fanatic
Jun 10, 2008
London, ON
I had my son rear facing until he was a year old. My understanding is that rear facing is done because a babies body, especially neck isn't developed or strong enough to absorb the forces involved in a crash and aren't ready for forward facing until approximately a year old.

We currently use the Eddie Bauer car seat, when he is ready, it will convert to a booster seat for him.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
well if trina was here she could give you better answers but it would sound likt this.

Yes kids should remain rear facing for AS LONG AS they still fit in the rear facing carseats. Even up to age 5. Sirk: your doctor lied to you, or ws just very misinformed. Your son may have outgrown his bucket car seat but he did not out grow rear facing. Children can rear face in some car seats (mine for example up 32 pounds) Cant remember how many inches but... Your doctor saying that he could break his legs is a myth. If you are in an acident that is strong enough to break his legs, then you surely are in an accident that is strong enought to rip his spinal cord out of his head. That is what happens when they are to small.
My dd rear faced till she was 2. I should have went longer and most likely will with the next

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
I'm a former certified Child Passenger Safety Technician. (My certification just expired last month.)

The bare minimum requirements for turning an infant forward facing are 12 mos.<I> and</I> 20 lbs, but longer is even better. Rear facing better protects the head, neck and spine during a crash. The AAP and safety experts now recommend babies stay rear facing until they outgrow the rear facing limits of their convertible car seat.

More info:
CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource

Don't worry if the child's legs are touching the back of the vehicle seat. There are no records of broken legs, but even so, broken legs are fixable, a broken neck or spine is not. More info about this at the link above.

To find a CPS Tech in your area:
Home | SeatCheck.org

Unfortunately, not all doctors/pediatricians keep up on current child passenger safety recommendations.

More car seat and child passenger safety resources here:
Resources - Child Passenger Safety - ParentingForums.org

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Trina said:
Don't worry if the child's legs are touching the back of the vehicle seat. There are no records of broken legs, but even so, broken legs are fixable, a broken neck or spine is not. More info about this at the link above.

To find a CPS Tech in your area:
Home | SeatCheck.org

Unfortunately, not all doctors/pediatricians keep up on current child passenger safety recommendations.
Thanks for this Trina! I'm surprised to find someone local. I've haven't had mine checked out since I brought the kids home from the hospital. I'm over due.

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
Thanks for your replies! Can u pls also tell me the difference between a convertible carseat and a combination car seat. And a 3 in 1?

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
What should grown ups do when they're small enough that they should be in a booster seat? :eek:

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
HappyMomma said:
I've used a pillow before. :)
:laugh: That's what I do now. But I always think "You know, the weight limit on Lita's booster chair is my weight. I'm gonna die."

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I know! I was so glad the Jeep doesn't have one!

The Metro had duel airbags and I haaaaaated putting a kid in the front seat if we had too many in the car.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Samy27 said:
Thanks for your replies! Can u pls also tell me the difference between a convertible carseat and a combination car seat. And a 3 in 1?
A convertible car seat rear faces and then forward faces. A combination seat is forward facing only and then transitions to a belt positioning booster. A 3 in 1 supposedly does all three (rear facing, forward facing, booster) but there are none that do a good job of this. I have yet to see one that's good in the booster mode. Also, car seats expire 6 yrs. after the date of manufacture. Most kids still need a booster after the age of 6. Kids are safest in boosters until at least 4'9" and can pass the 5 Step Test.
Boosters Are For Big Kids

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sirk said:
I know! I was so glad the Jeep doesn't have one!

The Metro had duel airbags and I haaaaaated putting a kid in the front seat if we had too many in the car.

Putting kids in the front seat is a no-no. Even if the vehicle doesn't have air bags they are significantly safer in the back. I wouldn't put kids in the front seat unless absolutely necessary, as in there were no other options. I'd put an adult or teen in front instead or take a bigger vehicle or two vehicles.

Here's another thread here on this topic.
http://www.parentingforums.org/f6/please-don-t-let-your-kids-3156.html[/URL]

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sirk said:
What should grown ups do when they're small enough that they should be in a booster seat? :eek:

Are you under 4'9"? There are boosters that go up to 100 lbs. and 60". ;) LOL! Seriously though, there was talk about this a few years ago within the child passenger safety field, but I've yet to hear of any safe and acceptable products. Many cars now have shoulder belt adjusters that help the belt fit better. It's not safe to use aftermarket products that claim to make the seat belt fit better. They actually hinder the proper fit and function of the belt and can actually cause further injury.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Skyburning said:
We'll rear face to 35 lbs.

That's great, as long as your son's convertible rear faces up to 35 lbs. (some do, but not all) and he doesn't outgrow his car seat (rear facing) by length before then. If he has less than 1" of hard plastic seat shell above his head when rear facing, he is too tall.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I should have kept Nichole rear facing longer. We did go to 2 years though, but... she is pnly 23 pounds now so I wish I would have went longer!

hey Trina have you heard anything about the Britax's new toddler seat. I like it. I want to get it when Nichole is bigger. (2 years from now probably)
Britax : Products : Details