Toddler Car Seat...

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
Trina said:
Are you under 4'9"? There are boosters that go up to 100 lbs. and 60". ;) LOL!
4'9", no.
5'0" and 100 lbs, yes. :eek:

<SIZE size="75">ok, maybe 105. I'm eating Dairy Queen.</SIZE>

Skyburning

PF Fiend
Oct 6, 2007
Mississippi
Trina said:
That's great, as long as your son's convertible rear faces up to 35 lbs. (some do, but not all) and he doesn't outgrow his car seat (rear facing) by length before then. If he has less than 1" of hard plastic seat shell above his head when rear facing, he is too tall.
Yeah it's rated to 35 lbs and I forget the inches but Noly is a little under average on the height right now so I don't see that being a problem, lol

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Skyburning said:
Yeah it's rated to 35 lbs and I forget the inches but Noly is a little under average on the height right now so I don't see that being a problem, lol

You never know. ;) My DS was huge as an infant (95th%) but his growth slowed down in toddlerhood. He has been average size ever since. I've also seen kids who were tiny as infants and shot up like weeds when they got older. It also has to do with torso length not just total height.

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
[quote=Trina;
A combination seat is forward facing only and then transitions to a belt positioning booster.
Also, car seats expire 6 yrs. after the date of manufacture.

QS: Is it safe to use the belt positioning booster or is there some other safer feature to look for?
Can i use my current infant carrier for my next one which i might have in 4-5 years from now?

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
I have a 17 month old son weighing 22lbs. We r using the Graco safe seat for him with weight limits upto 30lbs. His feet have started popping out of the car seat...but he still fits in it. We've adjusted the straps to the top slot..but it has started to get a bit tight near his crotch and shoulders. Do u know how i can adjust it to be able to use it upto 30lbs?
Thanks alot!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Samy27 said:
I don't know if you have older children, but your 17 mos. old won't be old enough for a booster for a long time yet. CPS Techs recommend kids stay in a harnessed car seat until at least 4 yrs. and 40 lbs.. Longer is even better, especially for a wiggly child who is unable to sit properly in a booster. The next step for your 17 mos. old would be a convertible car seat. Combination car seats are forward facing only and often sit too upright for young toddlers. They're designed for older toddlers/preschoolers.

To answer your question... It depends which combination seat you have. Some have plastic paper clip type shoulder belt adjusters that don't work well. I prefer the newer style, like ones the Graco Nautilus, for example. The shoulder belt adjuster is open and allows the belt to move and retract freely as it should.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Samy27 said:
I have a 17 month old son weighing 22lbs. We r using the Graco safe seat for him with weight limits upto 30lbs. His feet have started popping out of the car seat...but he still fits in it. We've adjusted the straps to the top slot..but it has started to get a bit tight near his crotch and shoulders. Do u know how i can adjust it to be able to use it upto 30lbs?
Thanks alot!
I just looked over the Graco Safe Seat instruction manual, and it doesn't have another position for the crotch buckle. You can adjust the hip and shoulder straps, but if your son is long torsoed that won't help much. He may be too long for the seat (torse wise) despite the fact he has yet to reach the weight limit. Shoulder straps should be at or below the shoulders when rear facing. Look in the owners manual on pages 20-23.. There are shoulder strap adjustments that can be made on the back of the seat that may help. If not, it's time to transition to a convertible car seat.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Samy27 said:
Can i use my current infant carrier for my next one which i might have in 4-5 years from now?
Just realized I didn't answer this question. You may use your current infant carrier for 6 yrs. after the date of manufacture, which is printed on a sticker on the bottom of the seat. Keep in mind that if it's already a year old and if you have another baby in 5 yrs, your current seat will be 6 yrs. old by then and expired. Using an expired car seat releases the manufacturer from liability should the seat malfunction during a crash.

CPSafety - Your online child passenger safety resource

Sirk

Your Forum Mom
Apr 1, 2008
I didn't see this addressed in the thread. Replace your car seat after you've been in an accident!
I had a dumb old lady pull out in front of us when Anya was 3 weeks old. Her insurance covered the cost of a new car seat because their could be a teeny tiny crack that you don't see, but could cause failure in another accident.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Sirk said:
I didn't see this addressed in the thread. Replace your car seat after you've been in an accident!
I had a dumb old lady pull out in front of us when Anya was 3 weeks old. Her insurance covered the cost of a new car seat because their could be a teeny tiny crack that you don't see, but could cause failure in another accident.

Great point, Sirk! Definitely replace car seats after a crash.

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
I'm trying to decide between the Britax Boulevard or Recaro Signo. I have a Honda CRV..will it fir while rear facing? Do these seats recline, coz my son falls asleep as soon as i start driving. Any other seats with good reviews and recline features?

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
Does the <SIZE size="100">Britax Boulevard Convertible Car Seat, SKU: E9W5762 Recline???
</SIZE>

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
All convertible car seats should recline between 30-45 degrees when rear facing. If unable to get a proper installation with proper recline in your vehicle, you can use a rolled up towel or pool noodles at the bite of the vehicle seat to help. If still unable to get the proper recline, seek help from a CPS Tech. He/she will show you tricks on how to do it, or may find that particular car seat is incompatible with your vehicle.

You can look up different car seats and vehicle combinations here:
CarSeatData.org - user ratings of carseats fitting into cars

Reviews by CPS Techs and car seat savvy parents here:
Carseat Reviews - Car Seat.Org - Carseat, Vehicle &amp; Child Passenger Safety Forums

Installation videos here:
Installation Videos

Samy27

Jun 11, 2008
How would you compare a Britax Boulevard to a Evenflo Titan Elite? Is the difference only that Britax has extra padding and side pillows? Please help!!

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Out of those two, I'd choose the Boulevard. Have you had a chance to see them in person? Recaro and Britax are the Cadillacs of car seats. Their extra safety and convenience features are worth the $. Evenflo seats are nice, but tall/long torsoed kids tend to outgrow them quickly.