Under what circumstances would you terminate a pregnancy?...

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
If you were given tragic news during your pregnancy regarding your baby's health, would you end the pregnancy? Does the severity of the illness factor into the decision Or continuing the pregnancy would be putting your life being at risk, would that be an element in a decision

This has to be one of the hardest choices to make... let's be sensitive to one another's feelings

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Whatever the news, it is still a life. Abortion, to me, will always be murder.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
I agree that it is still a life, however, having a child already, and if continuing said pregnancy was going to put my life in jepordy, and there was nothing that the doctors could do, I do'nt konw if i could leave my remaining child motherless.

FooserX

PF Addict
Jul 11, 2007
Denver
This is probably selfish and weak, but if we knew our son was going to have pretty much any kind of major illness, or handicap...part of me would probably want an abortion.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
FooserX said:
This is probably selfish and weak, but if we knew our son was going to have pretty much any kind of major illness, or handicap...part of me would probably want an abortion.
I don't think thats selfish. I mean thats why we all had that test for downs etc etc. If we had found out if our baby was going to have a severe illness i'm not sure what we would have done. Cried, argued, but what would have been best for the baby? Not living a full life? I wouldn't want them to go through life not living it to the fullest, dealing with discrimination etc.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I just can't see how this isn't a individual decision for a family to make based on what they anticipate they can handle. For some families (or individuals), they are able to handled a lot, and wouldn't think twice.

What I find interesting is that often a disable child has some unique abilities or personality that's rare in so-called "normal" people.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
jtee said:
I just can't see how this isn't a individual decision for a family to make based on what they anticipate they can handle. For some families (or individuals), they are able to handled a lot, and wouldn't think twice.

What I find interesting is that often a disable child has some unique abilities or personality that's rare in so-called "normal" people.
You're absolutly right. I saw an episode of extreme home makeovers and the teen that they were doing this whole thing for, was wheel chair bound, blind, but could play the piano and sing.

Like i said, i wouldn't know what to do..

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
I would only terminate if my life was at stake because I would not leave my three motherless. If it were a severe illness like their brain doesn't have a skull or something like that then yes I would terminate.
I would still have a down's syndrome child or a child with CP or handicap.

SuperMario

Banned
Aug 14, 2007
If my wife had a high risk of death than obviously we would abort. Also it depends on the illness the child will have. It depends on the severity. Blindness and not being able to walk, to me, is not reason enough to abort. If they will have obvious disabilities in which they will never become intelligent than we would consider abortion. Or if they are going to be in constant pain than we would consider it. It all depends on the circumstances and it is always a tough decision no one wants to make.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
meow_173 said:
Like i said, i wouldn't know what to do..
It is wise to think about such things in advance, but the chances of having to make such a hard decision is very very low. And often it is not until a person (or family) has to make that decision that they find out how easy\difficult it really is.

Because I beleive this is a very personal decision, my concerns is having very vocal friends\family pressuring a family into doing something that is not right for that family, and the family caves into the presure and makes bad decisions. I have not seen this personally with this issue, but I have seen couples get married to please their friends\family (religious reasons) and not live happily ever after.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
I would only terminate if my life was at stake because I would not leave my three motherless. If it were a severe illness like their brain doesn't have a skull or something like that then yes I would terminate.
I would still have a down's syndrome child or a child with CP or handicap.
Isn't God's will, God's will?

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I am just of the opinion that everything happens for a reason, good or bad, and that you have to accept what God gives you. It's not our call to make life or death decisions.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
musicmom said:
I think the death penalty should be more like a firing squad.
Hush. Hush.

Can't you see Jtee and I are having a moment here.

*smiles at him awkwardly*

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Sorry, I am trying to think what Flooser would post right now, but I am drawing a blank. Is this where Fooser changes his avatar or sends Princess Lissa a PM?