Under what circumstances would you terminate a pregnancy?...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
jtee said:
When I was in college I was an RA for campus housing. We had a freshman woman (18-19) who had server Cerebral palsy and barely could get around in a wheelchair. It was sad because she had spent her entire life in many different foster homes (Custody of the state, had no biological parents) and as a result she had extreme emotional problems. At one point she developed a relationship with a disabled manstudent her age and he gave her keys to his place, but after a few months he had to have his locks changed because he couldn't handled her rages. She continued to stock him for a few months after they broke up.
Great story. But what does that have to do with anything? :err:

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
Great story. But what does that have to do with anything? :err:
Just a story that came to mind as a result of this thread, no other reason.

I don't know why her parents gave their daughter over to the state, maybe if I knew the reasons I might understand. Maybe the state revoked the parental rights because as a child she was in an abusive home. Not all people can handle being a parent, and having a disable child as severe as she was can lead to abuse.

Based on my observation at the time, she really was emotionally messed up pretty bad.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
My neighbors daughter has severe CP and it's VERY tough for her. The little girl (8) is starting to have seizures and it scares the mom to death. The little girl has no concept of time so she's up all hours of the night and it wears the mom out. Of course my neighbor wouldn't trade her for the world but I bet she'd have a different view if she knew prior what it would be like. (of course NOT knowing her own daughter)

symphonyodd

PF Regular
Mar 3, 2008
Knee deep in laundry
It is SO easy for me to sit back and say.. I would NEVER.. because I am (if you want the truth) EXTREMELY prolife.
One thing God has taught me is there is NO absolutes here. It seems JUST when I say how I would react in a situation I find out that I act the total oposite. Does that make sense? Unless I've been there I cannot say.
In my heart, I would want to say that I would never, even if my life depended on it, abort. But like I just long windedly said... I'd have to be there to know.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
symphonyodd said:
It is SO easy for me to sit back and say.. I would NEVER.. because I am (if you want the truth) EXTREMELY prolife.
One thing God has taught me is there is NO absolutes here. It seems JUST when I say how I would react in a situation I find out that I act the total oposite. Does that make sense? Unless I've been there I cannot say.
In my heart, I would want to say that I would never, even if my life depended on it, abort. But like I just long windedly said... I'd have to be there to know.
well said :)

LisaOwen05

Jun 27, 2007
Australia
I know i havnt been on the forum for long etc

But i know in my right mind i couldn keep a child that had a disability.. I dont think i could handle it, and be stable enuf 2 look after it...

so i wuld consider abortion.... even tho i swore id never hve one again.. but only if really needed...

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
LisaOwen05 said:
But i know in my right mind i couldn keep a child that had a disability.. I dont think i could handle it, and be stable enuf 2 look after it

I've learned in life that you'd be surprised at what all you actually can handle. I used to say the same thing. Now that I've had my children, I've decided that even if my child was disabled, I'd still have it, and love it, and take care of it because it's mine.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Just as a summation from everything i have learned from my pregnancy, to being a new mom, up until now 20 months later we are all so fortunate to have smooth pregnancies, deliveries and births.
There are so many things that can go wrong with every stage of becomming a mother......expected things results from ultrasounds, to total surprises later on in a child's life.
So hold your child's life in your hand and protect it with everything you are and can be, because you never know what can happen.

dfelix

Mar 10, 2008
Maine
I think that many women get abortions for many different reasons. Usually these are teenage girls of young women who have no concept of what happens to a baby when it is aborted. I think that before anyone gets an abortion, it should be mandatory to watch a movie about an abortion being done. Then at least they would fully understand that their baby would be butchered.

Personally, I do feel that it is a woman's choice to do what she wishes with anything belonging to her body. I don't believe in abortions, but, I don't condemn those who do.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
A few points ...

There was a comment on gods will ... if I may .. what god? whos god ? I dont think this is a religious conversation personally. Interesting book to read on this would be "Conversations With God" or google the song "Keep your jesus off my penis"

As far as abortion .. I think there are circumstances where its applicable.

Rape - although rape is a crime of power and not of sex, and pregnancy is rare, it still happens. Conceive a child via violence ? No, not in my eyes.

sever handicap - possibly

As a form of birth control ? .. NEVER

I think each and every situation has its own story that needs to be addressed on its own

TammyZed

PF Enthusiast
Mar 8, 2008
Ontario
It would basically have to be life or death for me.

I got pregnant at seventeen, and my parents tried to convince me to have an abortion, but it wasn't something I was even willing to consider. It's not that I'm vehemently against it... I just personally couldn't sleep at night knowing I'd had one. There are plenty of women who could, and that's their choice.

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
hwnorth said:
A few points ...

There was a comment on gods will ... if I may .. what god? whos god ? I dont think this is a religious conversation personally. Interesting book to read on this would be "Conversations With God" or google the song "Keep your jesus off my penis"

As far as abortion .. I think there are circumstances where its applicable.

Rape - although rape is a crime of power and not of sex, and pregnancy is rare, it still happens. Conceive a child via violence ? No, not in my eyes.

sever handicap - possibly

As a form of birth control ? .. NEVER

I think each and every situation has its own story that needs to be addressed on its own
Since I mentioned God in terms of MY situation, I am obviously referring to the God I believe in. Doesn't have to be a religious discussion just because God was mentioned, and there's no need for you to try to make it one.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Teresa - there as nothing about trying to hijack this thread, sorry if you feel this way or insulted by my post.

I dont think they are two subjects that intertwine as I dont feel some ancient book that they THINK the translation is right should control the destiny of any child... but thats another topic.

As much as this thread is about when you should abort, its also about when you shouldnt... so I posted my thoughts ... thats all, and theres no attack implied to your god

Jim's_Wife

Mar 16, 2008
Well, if I became pregnant out of wedlock, I would certainly terminate the pregnancy. But, since I am married, the only reason I would terminate a pregnancy is if my health was in serious jeopardy, or if the baby had a very serious condition, such as down syndrome, autism, ect...

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
Jim's_Wife said:
Well, if I became pregnant out of wedlock, I would certainly terminate the pregnancy.
Why would that child be less worthy of a life than a child created inside a marriage?

JeanM

Mar 16, 2008
none.. because the baby inside is a life that is not urs and it isnt your choice to make it!

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Jim's_Wife said:
Well, if I became pregnant out of wedlock, I would certainly terminate the pregnancy.
I would have to agree with Teresa.....why would a child be be less worthy to you if you were not married? Or is it a social issue?

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
It's definitely an issue of social stigma and it makes me sick.

If you created a baby out of wedlock it is YOUR responsiblity, and to abort for that reason makes me sick to my stomach.

And if you killed your baby because you didn't want to be a sinner who had a child out of wedlock, then that's just extremely hypocritical.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
Mindy said:
It's definitely an issue of social stigma and it makes me sick.

If you created a baby out of wedlock it is YOUR responsiblity, and to abort for that reason makes me sick to my stomach.

And if you killed your baby because you didn't want to be a sinner who had a child out of wedlock, then that's just extremely hypocritical.
The thing is, people who are married, or common law marriage have also had abortions. Whether they were not ready for a child mentally, physically or finacially whatever. Obviously i do understand that hey you should have been more careful. But its still a choice that the couple makes, and alot of couples have had to make that decision, and sometimes it is for the best.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
"But its still a choice that the couple makes, and alot of couples have had to make that decision, and sometimes it is for the best."

Absolutely. I agree with that. But to make said huge lifechanging decision just because you are not married is just not right IMO. It's reinforcing the fact that society would see the baby as a bastard. It's such an archaic way to look at it. Baby didn't make the decision to be conceived, or be killed. Baby has no choice.