what kind of turtle is this?...

Cthru

PF Fiend
May 11, 2008
Chicago suburbs
Music-dad said:
I had small turtles before, but they were stinky, and my living room started to smell "swampish"
That's why I don't have one anymore.. they sure are dirty/hard to keep up with.. kids loved it though.

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
you thought those were stinky??? I used to have 2 cages and approx. 20 dwarf hamsters....they just woudln't stop breeding!!!!!! every day i would find new babies

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
meow_173 said:
you thought those were stinky??? I used to have 2 cages and approx. 20 dwarf hamsters....they just woudln't stop breeding!!!!!! every day i would find new babies
Holy Moly...a former rhythm guitar player had a feret on the road with us, I would refuse to share a hotel room with him, and we would make him ride in the back of the truck. Nasty stink!

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
I'm a bit worried about the bacteria. So we'll probably only keep him for a couple days and put him back in the marsh. I think it's a painted turtle for sure now.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Mindy might have more info for you, she's really into turtles.

I think it's wonderful that you are returning it to it's home in the wild, it may die in captivity, most of the ones you buy at pet stores are raised from babies in captivity.

What I am thinking of doing is buiding a nice pond in my backyard, and relocating some turtles and frogs etc.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
HappyMomma said:
I ended up getting rid of mine because of the arrival of my daughter...

Reptiles such as turtles, snakes and lizards are becoming increasingly popu-lar as pets, but they harbor Salmonella bacteria that can make life miserable for humans. The bacteria cause salmonellosis, an infection of the human intestinal tract that usually manifests itself as diarrhea, abdominal cramps, fever and sometimes vomiting. In rare cases, it can be life- threatening.

If You Touch A Turtle, Wash Your Hands!
Exactly why my children do not touch these things. Good info. Keep it away from Oliver hun.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
OK wait ... just because its a reptile does NOT mean your gonna get sick. There are cases... yes... but my "collection" .. if you will, over the years have included snakes up to 10', lizards up to 5', Caymen (crocodile family) and a lake not far from here actually doesnt allow power boats because its so loaded with painted turtles ...

Do you lick your fingers after petting the dog? scratching your ass? .. take precautions and wash ... thats all.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
hwnorth said:
OK wait ... just because its a reptile does NOT mean your gonna get sick. There are cases... yes... but my "collection" .. if you will, over the years have included snakes up to 10', lizards up to 5', Caymen (crocodile family) and a lake not far from here actually doesnt allow power boats because its so loaded with painted turtles ...

Do you lick your fingers after petting the dog? scratching your ass? .. take precautions and wash ... thats all.
Hw is right everybody, when I was a kid in the summer at the cottage I would spend all day catching frogs, turtles, salimanders, spiders, bugs, tadpoles...you name it!...and I never got sick once.

The turtles I owned were Painted Turtles, and I played with them everyday.

I can't wait for Mindy to get here...she's has some really awesome stories for you.

Music-dad

PF Addict
Apr 22, 2008
Right here. Right now.
Lissa said:
Do turtles bite? How do you play with them?
Some will bite...I've never had a painted bite me. There is a 36" Snapping Turtle in our lake that I have known my entire life that I don't plan on cuddling with anytime soon :)

As for playing...go buy him some really tiny hockey equipment, and suit him up, and play. My money's on the turtle.:D

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
It's a very pretty turtle. But we are going to return him to the marsh either today or tomorrow.

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
I agree with a few people, honestly I think it's best you let him go. Turtles are just not meant to be domesticated (and yes, I realize I have one!) Mine had just hatched and all the other babies were dead. He was the size of a dime. I have a huge pond for him outside, so many things to do, and yet, still when he's in there, he just swims against the edge... He just wants out... So he lives in the stream now, but I see him all the time :)

Definitely a painted turtle, Herman is exactly like the pics you posted Lissa.

If you do keep him, please don't feed him the standard turtle food... He needs natural food if you want him to live long and healthy...

A turtle like that can live for 75-150 years, so it's such a waste of life when they are captivated or killed.

A turtle, when properly cared for, will no make you sick. If you clean them and keep them happy, they are not going to make you sick anymore than a dog would :)

Going to post some cool turtle stories :)

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
Lissa said:
It's a very pretty turtle. But we are going to return him to the marsh either today or tomorrow.
Yah! Great choice :) That very pretty turtles beautiful colors would fade over time if you kept him captive too long.

If you found him in the marsh, that's the best place for him, where he can eat as many mosquitos as he wants :)

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
<r><B><s></s>Researchers find rare giant turtle in Vietnam<br/>
<e>
</e></B>Discovery carries great scientific and cultural significance<br/>
<br/>
CLEVELAND - Researchers from the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo have discovered a rare giant turtle in northern Vietnam — a find that carries great scientific and cultural significance. Swinhoe's soft-shell turtle was previously thought to be extinct in the wild. Three other turtles of the species are in captivity, said experts from the Zoo's Asian turtle program.<br/>
<br/>
The discovery represents hope for the species, said Doug Hendrie, the Vietnam-based coordinator of the zoo program.<br/>
<br/>
Turtle expert Peter Pritchard, president of the Chelonian Research Institute, confirmed the find based on a photo Hendrie showed him.<br/>
<br/>
"It looked like pretty solid evidence. The animal has a pretty distinctive head," Pritchard said.<br/>
<br/>
There have been rumors for years of a mythical creature living deep in the waters of a northern Vietnam lake. Some in a village west of Hanoi claimed to be blessed by catching a glimpse of its concave shell as it crested above the surface of their lake.<br/>
A national legend tells of a giant golden turtle that bestowed upon the Vietnamese people a magic sword and victory over Chinese invaders in the 16th century. <br/>
<br/>
Whether that sacred turtle has materialized in the 21st century will be a matter of cultural debate among the Vietnamese.<br/>
<br/>
"This is one of those mythical species that people always talked about but no one ever saw," said Geoff Hall, zoo general curator.<br/>
<br/>
Of the other three Swinhoe's soft-shell turtles in captivity, two are in Chinese zoos and the other is cared for in the Hoan Kiem ("Returned Sword") Lake in downtown Hanoi — the lake in which the legendary turtle appeared to reclaim the sword from the emperor.<br/>
<br/>
Pritchard said an amateur photographed a Swinhoe's soft-shell turtle in southern China about six months ago that he believes was legitimate.<br/>
<br/>
"It's on the very brink of extinction, so every one counts," Pritchard said.<br/>
The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo began its effort to preserve and protect Asian turtles in 2003 amid reports of increased killings for food or to make traditional medicine from their bones. Development and pollution also led to loss of nesting habitats along rivers, zoo officials said.<br/>
<br/>
The zoo has put more than $275,000 into Asian turtle conservation efforts since 2000 and has supported Hendrie since 2003, officials said.</r>View attachment Rare Giant Vietnamese Turtle.jpg

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
Mindy said:
Yah! Great choice :) That very pretty turtles beautiful colors would fade over time if you kept him captive too long.

If you found him in the marsh, that's the best place for him, where he can eat as many mosquitos as he wants :)
I'm a former animal rights activist. I could never keep him from his natural habitat. :)

Mindy

PF Addict
Feb 20, 2008
QC, Canada
INDONESIA TO OREGON! FREAKING AMAZING!

12,774 miles</SIZE>[/B][/COLOR]
Satellite tracks journey from Indonesia to Oregon

By Andrea Thompson

updated 12:50 p.m. ET, Tues., Jan. 29, 2008

A leatherback turtle was tracked by satellite traveling 12,774 miles from Indonesia to Oregon, one of the longest recorded migrations of any vertebrate animal, scientists announced in a new report on sea turtle conservation.

Leatherback sea turtles (Dermochelys coriacea) are the largest of all living turtles and are widely distributed throughout the world's oceans. They have been seen in the waters off Argentina, Tasmania, Alaska and Nova Scotia.

Adult leatherbacks periodically migrate from their temperate foraging grounds to breeding grounds in the tropics.

Scientists at the National Marine Fisheries Service (NMFS) tracked one female nester, who was tagged on Jamursba-Medi beach in Papua, Indonesia, on her journey back to her foraging grounds off the coast of Oregon. She was tracked for 647 days covering a distance about equal to two round trips between New York and Los Angeles.

The turtle's trip set a new record for sea turtles, and is among the longest documented migrations for any marine vertebrate.

The longest measured annual migration for any animal is the 40,000-mile journey between New Zealand and the North Pacific of the sooty shearwater (Puffinus griseus), a medium-sized seabird.

The leatherback tracked by the NMFS belongs to one of two distinct breeding populations in the Pacific, the western group. Other research has shown that nesters from this population migrate through areas in the Philippines, South China Sea, Japan, and the waters around many other countries, spurring conservationists to call for an international effort to protect the species, which is listed as Critically Endangered on the World Conservation Union's Red List.

The turtle's journey is featured in an article in the third annual volume of the State of the Worlds' Turtles Report, written by NMFS scientists Peter Dutton and Scott Benson and Creusa Hitipeuw of WWF-Indonesia.

© 2008 LiveScience.com. All rights reserved.View attachment Indonesia to Oregon.jpg