When kids give you advice...

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh yeah definitely, my mom makes it every year for Thanksgiving haha. I think you cook the sweet potatoes in butter and brown sugar and cinnamon and top them with marshmallows and bake. It's soooooo good.

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Hahaha, all this time I thought "lollies" were lollipops. Melting hard candy on vegetables does sound truly disgusting. But it's quite good with marshmallows!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Lmao. That's what I thought they meant when using the word "lollies" too, was actual lollipops/suckers. Is that word used just to refer to any sweets?

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Yes.

Lollipops are lollipops and everything else that isn't chocolate is a lolly. Except for candycanes. They're candy. And fairy floss, that's not a lolly its... floss? But you guys call that cotton candy.

I love that as of the past week nearly every thread has turned to food.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
We must all be hungry or something haha. Oh my word, you call cotton candy fairy floss? That is freaking awesome. xD

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Back to the original point of the thread though, just as I was typing that Sasha gave me a 'wonderful' piece of advice.

Thursday-Friday was Beltane in the southern hemisphere, which is a seasonal festival, we usually celebrate our holidays on the weekend they fall closest to, just to make it easier. Anyway, something that some married pagans do on Beltane is renew handfasting vows, which are the vows you make a year and one day prior to your wedding, which we do, which involves standing over a (very small) fire and having our hands bound to each other's. So we are doing that tonight and Sasha just came up to me and said
"My teacher said that fire can burn you"
"Yes it can"
"Oh, I think you should make a drawing of a fire then instead of real fire, that would be smarter. I'm not going to do it for you though, I'm very busy today."

He is having his birthday party this afternoon, but somehow I don't think he's the one who is going to be busy as such, more likely me.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Oh now Ash has reminded me of another one of Sasha's pieces of 'advice'.

The way retirement funds work here is that we have mandatory superannuation funds that employers have to make contributions towards in addition to our salary each pay cycle. There are hundreds of different super funds but honestly they're all pretty much the same.

There was an ad on TV about Virgin Super, which of course is the virgin company working their way into yet another market.
"Mum, do you have a superannuation?"
"Yes"
"You should give it to Virgin Super"
"Sasha, what does 'superannuation' mean?"
"It's really good annuations"

buyersmiling

Nov 19, 2013
cybele said:
Has anyone else ever had their children 'parrot-back' advice that you have given them? Because I have just experienced this and it is one of the strangest things.

I had a consult this morning that my manager booked and after a while I recognised the name as the name of someone I went to high school with, for the record, her and her friends weren't very nice to me and my friends. She came in and it was her, there was no way that she was going to figure out who I was, mainly because I have changed my first name, which throws people off, but she was giving me a strange look the whole time. At the end she said "Where do I know you from?" and I decided to tell her (and go into a lengthy explanation about the name change and various other things).

Anyway, Sunny rings me from school to ask about something and goes "How has your day been?" and I tell her about this woman "What did she used to do to you and your friends?" "They just used to pick on us because we weren't the most fashion forward people, have to say though I wish I picked something else to wear today instead of ripped jeans and a hoodie" "Mum, if someone is going to judge you on what clothes you wear than they clearly don't value you and they aren't worth worrying about" " ... don't you have a class or something?"

I hate it when she's right.
You're lucky to have a kid like that. We should always be open that sometimes we can also learn from our kids. Good day!

babybibsplus

PF Enthusiast
Jan 25, 2016
That's funny, and I tell my kids all the time to watch what they say and do because one day their kid's will do the same thing.

artmom

PF Fanatic
Feb 26, 2015
Canada
My daughter does this a lot to me.
I don't mind it. She's just giving back the same advice I've been giving her and it proves how confident, wise and smart she is.