Worst Parenting Advice Ever Heard...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Dadu2004 said:
I heard from my grandma.... Don't let the cat near the baby. Cats take the baby's breath away.
Ha we heard that from DW's grandma too...you guysa aren't cousins are you?

Gotta think about that one, none are coming to mind at the moment.

bssage

Super Moderator
Oct 20, 2008
Iowa
The way the cat story goes I think. Is that cats smell the milk on a sleeping babies breath and sticks their head in the mouth to get the milk suffocating the baby. Someone needs to suggest it to Mythbusters. Not with a real baby of course.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
My cat just smacks Eli in the head as he walks by. haha

Here's a pretty stupid one. My mom always told me you should splash a baby in the face with water (even if it scares them and makes them hold their breath and/or cry) so that they will get used to having water in their face.

I mean wtf. I don't even like getting water in my face. I thought that was pretty normal. I don't know about her, but I'm pretty sure most people get in the shower facing away from the spray. But then again, maybe our moms didn't splash enough water in our faces as babies. lmao (yeah right)

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Also, directly along the lines of "don't pick your baby up or you'll spoil him", my mom and her mom (along with oodles of other people) also think that a baby MUST be allowed to cry for periods of time with no parental response in order to develop their lungs. How dumb is that.

Oh and a kind of funny, obviously not true one is my grandma told us that if a baby is off schedule (sleeping during the day, up at night) all you have to do is wait for a full moon and when he's asleep grab him by the heel and flip him over. And he's fixed. lmao I could be wrong but I could swear she said she did it to my uncle.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
My cat just smacks Eli in the head as he walks by. haha

Here's a pretty stupid one. My mom always told me you should splash a baby in the face with water (even if it scares them and makes them hold their breath and/or cry) so that they will get used to having water in their face.

I mean wtf. I don't even like getting water in my face. I thought that was pretty normal. I don't know about her, but I'm pretty sure most people get in the shower facing away from the spray. But then again, maybe our moms didn't splash enough water in our faces as babies. lmao (yeah right)

I believe the international community has pretty much condemned that practice for prisoners of war, enemy combatants and babies....

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Xero said:
Also, directly along the lines of "don't pick your baby up or you'll spoil him", my mom and her mom (along with oodles of other people) also think that a baby MUST be allowed to cry for periods of time with no parental response in order to develop their lungs. How dumb is that.

Oh and a kind of funny, obviously not true one is my grandma told us that if a baby is off schedule (sleeping during the day, up at night) all you have to do is wait for a full moon and when he's asleep grab him by the heel and flip him over. And he's fixed. lmao I could be wrong but I could swear she said she did it to my uncle.

wow, I love the full moon flip...DS2's been a little off schedule lately, I think I missed a full moon opportunity last night, damn! So, does it matter which heel? just one heel? And do you flip them in bed, or pick them up by the heel and flip them? Does it matter if you flip them front to back or back to front? So many questions, I want to to do it right....(I don't think I could pick him up buy the heel and flip him, he's almost 44 pounds now...)

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
IADad said:
wow, I love the full moon flip...DS2's been a little off schedule lately, I think I missed a full moon opportunity last night, damn! So, does it matter which heel? just one heel? And do you flip them in bed, or pick them up by the heel and flip them? Does it matter if you flip them front to back or back to front? So many questions, I want to to do it right....(I don't think I could pick him up buy the heel and flip him, he's almost 44 pounds now...)

Damn...I just spit potato soup all over the place! :biglaugh:

I can think of a lot of misinformation, but none that top the "worst" scenerio. I am just thankfull Zero's family didn't raise me ;).

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
mom2many said:
I am just thankfull Zero's family didn't raise me ;).
Be very, very thankful. I'm just lucky I have a mind of my own, that's all I can say.

IADad - I'll contact my grandma and get back to you with that. lol

Janie'10

PF Regular
Mar 24, 2010
Indiana
I always thought using a "wooden spoon" to paddle your kid was silly. I'm not the biggest believer in paddling, but I only had a girl that was fairly well behaved, most of the time.

AmyBelle

PF Fiend
Apr 20, 2008
Australia
"If you rub vanilla essence onto the soles of a baby's feet, they will grow taller"

From my MIL. That sad, DH is quite tall...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
:biglaugh::biglaugh:mad:all the funny posts, too many to mq.
we were once told that to help make the kids leave stuff alone when they were rugrats to get a spray bottle of water and git 'em with it every time they mess with the nick nacks or something they've been told to leave alone. :yikes:

doesn't work. just starts a big ole messy water fight.:twitcy:
(we tried it at the time since it works on pets. what the hell were we thinking????? )

i like the moon thing too. the crazy stuff folks come up with...:goofy:

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
That reminds me AmyBelle, my mom is beyond sure that if you put chopped onions in a kid's socks when they have a high fever, that it will get rid of the fever. xD

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
:D
Xero said:
That reminds me AmyBelle, my mom is beyond sure that if you put chopped onions in a kid's socks when they have a high fever, that it will get rid of the fever. xD
Sounds right, because the onions will make them cry it out!

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
there's an old wive's tale about keeping an onion in a bowl all year long. the onion is supposed to soak up the nasty germs floatin' around. i'm trying it right now (an experiment and every tip helps). its not working yet. we still keep getting sick.:(
:D