Worst Parenting Advice Ever Heard...

Angelsoft

Aug 13, 2010
Oregon
My mother's suggestion for how to handle my daughter's tantrums... throw a little bit of cold water in her face. Apparently that's how she handled mine. She claims it shocks them enough to stop. Thanks mom XD

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
When you think about it though, babies shouldn't mind water surely as they spent the first nine months of their lives in water, eyes open and everything at a certain time too.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I heard something about babies are able to hold their breath under water naturally? Is that right?

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
Yeah, really little ones, no idea how long for though, can't really experiment with that one! They can swim as well, day old babies look hilarious swimming.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Oh I looked it up and it said they will automatically hold their breath and open their eyes under water up until about a year old. :)

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I meant for like length of time they can hold their breath in one go. Here most hospitals have a baby pool so they can swim within an hour or two of birth, apparently it calms them because it is a familiar environment.

loveelc

Aug 14, 2010
I've heard that when baby is teething that you take a thimble or a spoon and rub it hard on their gums to break the teeth through. Arent they in enough pain? I think that used to be done way back when. Glad things have changed.

loveelc

Aug 14, 2010
I dont think my parents did it with me, I saw an article on worst parenting advice a long time ago and happen to remember that, at least i hope they didnt to that to me, lol

Amy Sanders

Aug 18, 2010
Whenever we would get a scrape as a kid, my grandfather would say "Let the dog lick it" I think he was kidding, but you never know.

bikermomma78

Aug 21, 2010
SEMN
That Orange Sunkist is ok because its orange soda and no orange soda has caffeine in it. READ THE LABEL.:arghh: Orange Sunkist has caffeine.

1mom.4kids

PF Enthusiast
Aug 24, 2010
My ex husband told me that when the kids throw tantrums and won't stop they should be thrown into an ice cold shower.

On a side note he also told the therapist this idea and the therapist told him that idea was similar to water boarding and if we couldn't water board terrorist we certainly couldn't water board children. :D I was very happy to be there for that session.

stjohnjulie

PF Addict
Aug 9, 2010
St. John, VI
Ok, the dog licking thing...well there is some truth to that one. Dog's saliva has some antibacterial qualities, but it only works against some bacteria.

I know this is kind of gross, but one time I had shaved my legs and got razor burn really bad. I put lotion on my legs and my neighbors dog apparently liked the way it tasted and licked a part of my leg. The razor burn went away completely in that area. I know, I know, EWWWW!

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Ugh I hate that! Every time a dog goes to the bathroom, they lick their privates clean. And that's enough for me to rarely, if ever, allow a dog to lick my face. o__O lol People brush their teeth every day and DON'T eat poop and most people would be pretty grossed out if a person licked their face.

SDenham

Aug 26, 2010
Panama City, FL
Not to mention they'll eat ANYTHING! Baby poo out of diapers, vomit, dingleberry's from their backsides. Yuck.

I was told that if the baby didn't fall off the bed at least once before they were a year old, they wouldn't live to be 2.

I didn't have to worry about it, both mine fell off the bed when they were learning to crawl.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
LOL! I'd believe it. Eli definitely fell off the bed, probably at the same age you're talking about, when he was starting to scootch and I wasn't expecting it LOL! The sad part is that I was on the bed with him, but I looked in another direction for a second and CLUNK!

You're right about what dogs eat haha. I have three sisters, and I remember when I lived at home the family dog used to steal our sanitary products out of the garbage!!! :veryconfused: And that's only just scraping the surface of the gross stuff I've seen dogs eat.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
SDenham said:
Not to mention they'll eat ANYTHING! Baby poo out of diapers, vomit, dingleberry's from their backsides. Yuck.

I was told that if the baby didn't fall off the bed at least once before they were a year old, they wouldn't live to be 2.

I didn't have to worry about it, both mine fell off the bed when they were learning to crawl.
yeesh, I don't remember if both my kids fell, I DO remember when the younger one did, it was one of those, he'll be okay on this bed, just long enough for me to.....thud, whaaaaaaa! I was sooo scared. With the older one, he was probably about one a little more or less, I dont't exactly remember, I had put him in his pack and play to go move a load of laundry into the dryer, heard a cry and came running...he had flipped himself out of the pack and play onto the concrete basementt floor. Since I didn't see it happen I can only assume he landed on his bottom as there where no bumps or bruises....needless to say that was the last time we considered the pack and play a safe zone....

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
lol! I was scared to bits when Eli fell off the bed that time too! I remember that feeling well, its so horrible! :(

Its funny I've seen a countless number of toddlers climb out of their cribs/playpens/what have you and fall out or just plain get away lol and I guess my boy just isn't that ambitious because he has never once attempted to climb out of his crib or playpen. Of course, both of those things aren't a factor anymore LOL, but when they were it was like he never even would have thought of it.