Yelling at someone else's kid...

MogWaiZ

Mar 21, 2008
quick question, im intersted..... just to change the scenario a little bit...
what if your kid has a friend sleep over or something.. at this point your the only parrent in the house... obviously its your house and as the only adult you have responsibility over the visitor, but do your styles differ? what would be an example of something that would not be acceptable to say to your chinds friend that is sleeping over that would be ok to say to your child?

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
"I've had it up to HERE with you!!! If you do not hang up your towel THIS INSTANT you are going STRAIGHT to bed without any books!!"

You wouldn't say that to visitor. You'd tell them to pipe down, and you'd tell them that it's not ok to climb up on the dinner table... but you wouldn't start WWIII over some of the domestic or ongoing stuff

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
I like this scenerio. I think the only thing I would avoid with a guest is the playful name calling. "you little turd" Unless I knew for fact that the childs parents talked to them that way. Otherwise my house rules would stick. If you are throwing rocks, talking back, or hitting you will get time out.

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I'm not sure, I'd probably talk with the parent first to see how they are raising the child and what kind of punishments would be acceptable for me to use should they misbehave.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
If the parent is there, you do nothing, it is the parents job or lack f to do it. If the parent is not there, I think a time out would be appropriate until you can talk to the parent to find out what type of punishment they use at hoime

Teresa

PF Fiend
Feb 2, 2007
Ohio
When we were having friends over when the kids were little, we usually went over rules and consequences with the other parents beforehand, just as we checked on whether there were any dietary restrictions, any activity restrictions, etc. And then it was pretty much "our house, our rules," unless the other parents had objections/suggestions in another direction.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Teresa said:
When we were having friends over when the kids were little, we usually went over rules and consequences with the other parents beforehand, just as we checked on whether there were any dietary restrictions, any activity restrictions, etc. And then it was pretty much "our house, our rules," unless the other parents had objections/suggestions in another direction.
This is pretty much what we do also. As far as the kids I babysit goes I talk with the parents. Alot of friends of the girls' come over out of the blue and I have not ever met their parents so then it's "our house, our rules", if you do not like it go home type thing. The kids are usually very good but with occasional problems I will just send them home.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
At this house ... when your a guest here, you follow the rules set forth... they are not bent or twisted because your a guest. Rules are set in place for a reason, usually for safety reasons of one type or another. Bending rules for guests makes no sense to me... doesnt happen in the work place ..or anyplace else..

As well .. along this line and the thread topic line .... discipline, from whatever source ... breeds respect ...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
I think it depends on the type and severity of the discipline. Just ask my brother, he got plenty disciplined by my dad but he doesn't respect him at all in fact he almost hates him.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
gr8mom - Im not talking about abuse ... discipline, respect, pride, accountability for ones actions and learning to be a respectable, decent hard working contribution to society