Yelling at someone else's kid...

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
Ok I've never heard of a silly blighter either. lol What is a blighter? I need a translator :(

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
evilbrent said:
not wrong.

and I'm from the cultured south. You should hear them talk up in Brisbane.
Really? Melbourne or Adelaide? I loved both cities. Someone told me that QLD is kind of like the texas of Australia. MM look at urban dictionary!

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
OH my...just learned something new. Those are horrible. Sleep slut? I had no idea............

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Aunt said:
Really? Melbourne or Adelaide? I loved both cities. Someone told me that QLD is kind of like the texas of Australia. MM look at urban dictionary!
melbourne.

nicest place to live in the whole wide world. (although right now we're going through a period of 40+ degrees (105 F) days, and it's _supposed_ to be Autumn....).

QLD is where all the rednecks live. 95% of our farming is in QLD, it's a huge place (Texas is just a baby - QLD is 2.7 times bigger), so it's fair to say that it's got a heavy 'rural' influence.

Melbourne is pretty 'artsy-fartsy' - so our newspapers are filled with current political issues and cultural stuff.... here are the top five headlines from the Brisbane Herald Sun that I copied down one time.

<LIST type="decimal">

1. <LI>
  2. Husband runs into wife in brothel </LI>
    <LI>
  3. Eligible Bachelor 'groomed and raped' women</LI>
    <LI>
  4. Not-so-happy ending for Korean 'massage parlours'</LI>
    <LI>
  5. Friends eat dog, man kills friends </LI>
    <LI>
  6. Woman kills husband, flushes him down the toilet</LI>
</LIST>I think that says it all.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
Yeah i remember reading the melbourne age and thinking it was a good paper. But i liked the provincial feel of Adelaide. it seemed to have some of melbourne's artsyness but with a more small town feel.
Do Aussies raise their kids very differently to Americans?

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
Aunt said:
Do Aussies raise their kids very differently to Americans?
not really. our culture is really very heavily influenced by america. we watch all your tv shows and buy all your products.

we raise them them to be consumers, and increasingly the american paranoia for personal safety is starting to creep into our world - for instance, kids are BANNED from riding bikes to our local primary school, a fact which I find just astounding.

ljmahr

PF Fiend
Oct 16, 2007
Banned from riding bikes to school?? Ok well here in our town I have never heard such a thing. My kids love to ride their bikes to school, when it is nice out of course.

Aunt

PF Fanatic
Nov 4, 2007
evilbrent said:
not really. our culture is really very heavily influenced by america. we watch all your tv shows and buy all your products.

we raise them them to be consumers, and increasingly the american paranoia for personal safety is starting to creep into our world - for instance, kids are BANNED from riding bikes to our local primary school, a fact which I find just astounding.
That is astounding!!!!! A shame too because what I liked so much about Australia was that I remember seeing kids just hanging about everywhere and the parents I met seemed to treat their older kids in a more equal adult fashion than we seem to here. I always assumed it was the smaller population. It would be a shame for Australia to loose this
BTW I met a few Sidneysiders that may disagree with your statement about melbourne LOL

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom said:
Yea, our kids can ride their bikes where ever they want as well.

and the daft thing is that my son has been riding his bike all the way to the school (accompanied by me on my bike) for at least a year now. we go to the park across the road from the school.

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Ari2 said:
A parent abusing a child is very different from a kid misbehaving, both legally and morally. The OP started by talking about a 4-5 yo who was squealing and making farting noises in a library. This raises separate issues than a mother abusing her child for 20 minutes.

But it's an interesting topic - maybe it deserves a separate thread?

If I seen a parent abusing their child, I'd definately speak up. Someone's got to.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
Teresa
<I>".... none of MY children would have been alone at McDonald's at the age of ten, or twelve, or even fourteen..."

</I>This isnt about you directly though... If you wouldnt allow your children to act that way then its really a moot point towards you dont you think?

<I>"Then what give YOU the right to force YOUR values and respect on others? It's a two way street, isn't it?"</I>

I dont see it as being just MY values. Most people would have been offended or intimidated, just as the manager was, therefore why should we stand around and accept that kind of behavior from anyone .. as a society. You mention call the police. I dont know about where you live, but I know where I live and most places, the police force are so short staffed that they arent going to respond in a manner timely of doing any good. Again, why do we need police... why cant we as a society stand up and say "No... we wont tolerate this kind of behavior . Its the same mentality as "taking back the streets" marches... and womens "taking back the night" marches ... its society standing up together and saying Ive had enough

In my opinion .. we have become a society of people who prefer to hide from the "bad guy" and let someone else fight our battles... "not my problem" ... How many times have we all turned on the news and there was some article on some child getting beat up and people watched .. afraid to step in . and now the child is dead from their injuries ... or an elderly man .. or anyone. We've all heard the stories... when is enough.. enough ?

Yes ... I will step in .. as a community..and as a society ... we all need to do it more often ...

gr8mom

PF Fanatic
Mar 1, 2008
Texas
"I dont see it as being just MY values. Most people would have been offended or intimidated, just as the manager was, therefore why should we stand around and accept that kind of behavior from anyone .. as a society."

What were then children doing to intimidate? I thought they were just using bad language. I guess it depends on the situation, if these children were indeed intimidating others not just offending them, (i.e. bad language) then I agree that someone should stand up and do something about it. If it was just offensive behavior though I think that the manager should be able to deal with it. Perhaps though, since you said there was no parent around, the manager was the parent? Just a thought that occured to me, maybe she didn't want to admit it cause they were acting offensive.

hwnorth

PF Fanatic
Mar 13, 2008
Courtenay BC Canada
OK ... let me try to explain this again ...
Staff and management were visibly "bothered and reluctant to do anything" ... there were no parents around that were either seen, or gave a a damn... these kids were not all brothers... visibly from different parents.

Define intimidating ... does it have to be brandishing a weapon and making death threats ?

gr8mom - By throwing food, swearing at each other, as well as other partons, and their presence and attitude of no one was going to stop them, in itself is intimidating to most. It would have ben great if the manager had stopped them ... maybe they had tried before I arrived and the kids told them to F*** off too .. Im not aware.... but that still doesnt change the fact of what was happening. Nor does it change the fact that I wont stand by and let fear rule. I wont accept my kids, nor my parents of grandparents.. be afraid to go outside their homes. The movies are great .. but I wont live in that society that film portrays where the "tough guy" walks in and everyone else clears out. I think and feel that if nothing else we have a dedication to our children, and our childrens children, to make this earth the best place we can .. so THEY have an honest future

Good Wolf

PF Addict
Mar 11, 2008
TX
I try to mind my own business but I have however spoke up on some occasions and will do so again.

* Parents leaving their kids in the car by themselfs..sometimes with a running engine.

* Parents not paying attention to their kids in public.

* Parents not stoping kids from torturing eachother. We were at Wal-Mart the other day and two groups of parents were chit chatting while a baby, maybe eight months old, had a hand full of the toddlers hair. The toddler was screaming bloody murder and they didn't even glance over to her. I didn't say anything to the parents but I did say "Don't do that to your sister" loud enough for everyone to hear. Her parents of course didn't hear me because they were too busy socializing.

* A kid was about to step on a kittens head right in front of the parent. I snatched up the kitten and told the parent that they are raising a little bastard monster child. That was about ten years ago and I wasn't as cool headed or even a parent at that time but the memory sticks with me. Parents letting their kids stomp on kittens, it doesn't get much worse than that.

Ari2

PF Fiend
Jan 7, 2008
Good Wolf said:
A kid was about to step on a kittens head right in front of the parent. I snatched up the kitten and told the parent that they are raising a little bastard monster child. That was about ten years ago and I wasn't as cool headed or even a parent at that time but the memory sticks with me. Parents letting their kids stomp on kittens, it doesn't get much worse than that.
Did you actually call the kid a "little bastard monster child"? I'm not in favor of stepping on kittens' heads (there probably aren't many who are), but I can't imagine that was well received, especially if the child being discussed was within earshot.

Sardis1969

Mar 20, 2008
Chilliwack
I'm new here, but I'm going to chime in on this one...
If a child is acting out in public, to the point where it's affecting others, I think a word or two is ok, but it has to be put in a way that you wouldn't mind seeing from someone else in regards to your own child.

Does that make sense??? LOL

Amber

PF Addict
Feb 8, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Kind of. I wouldn't want someone telling me my kids were little %&amp;(^%^)*^%'s, but I would want them to ask me to control them.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I personally think that when we take on the responsibility of bringing a child in this world, it's our duty to shape them into a good person. And you can be a good person even at a very young age. I know just as many ridiculously out of control kids as I do extremely well behaved kids, and I know it's all about how their parents raised them. If you don't teach them what's right from wrong, then they wont know how to act properly. If you don't stop them from doing the wrong thing, then they're going to do it and when someone says something nasty to them it's going to be your fault, not the kids fault and not the other person's fault. If you'd have taught them better, it wouldn't have happened. I personally think that anyone who experienced someone saying something to one of their kids when they clearly did something unacceptable, and then yell at the person or anything like that in defense, it's only because they're embarrassed that someone had to say something in the first place to the kid they raised. Your child is only a smaller image of yourself. All they know comes from you and what you let them know.