Banning packed lunches -- seriously?...

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
akmom said:
A lot of those lunches would be hard to pack because they are messy. And if it needs to be heated, that is a problem, because there is a line for the microwave. Kids don't have much time to eat as it is, without having to wait for the microwave.

I pack my daughter's lunches in a tackle box (tackle removed) with an ice pack. I wrap the gel pack around the drink thermos and freeze it that way, so it's shaped just right. That way I can pack her milk or juice, and it will stay plenty cold until lunch.
I figured you'd have to have "heat" packs to keep everything from being frozen solid....

(sorry, I know it's a horrible stereotype, just seems too easy not to pick up the joke....)

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I think something like 90% of them are school provided lunches Akmom, haha.

Are microwaves the norm at schools in America? My kid's high school has one in their lounge area, but that's because it's an alternative school and has a lounge area. Your regular public and private schools, primary and high, just don't have them.

xox.ilu.xox

PF Addict
Dec 17, 2009
Kamloops, British Columbia, Canada
Man, I have no idea what I would do if Hayleigh's school had a cafeteria. They have a morning breakfast program for low income parents. But all the kids bring their own packed lunches from home. Must be a Canadian thing eh ;)

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Yeah, if only they could store their packed lunches outside! That would indeed keep them frozen most of the year. I always worry that her milk will get too warm. I tell her not to drink it if the ice pack is melted.

My daughter's school cafeteria has a microwave, but it's a 30-second limit per student. You can't pack them a frozen burrito or anything. But they can at least heat up their meal if it's supposed to be hot.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Haha, we're the opposite here. I wish the younger kids could keep their bags inside the classrooms with the aircon. They're out in the corridor with glass windows on the bag hooks with no aircon. During summer we have to be really careful about what he pack. No yoghurt, no cheese, no egg. I always freeze their water bottes for them and put it on top of their food, but that usually comes out of their bags by recess anyway.
Summer lunches are always so dull because of it. You know what doesn't go off in the heat? Plain vegemite sandwich and whole fruit.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I don't think there is a microwave at my oldest's school. I didn't see it in there when we had lunch with him, but I could have missed it I guess. No idea.

babysitter

PF Regular
Aug 17, 2013
TabascoNatalie said:
The officially stated reason is that parents pack unhealthy stuff for kids lunches -- real reason is the rip-off -- make them pay for rubbish in school cantines.
That's very unfortunate. Most parents are responsible enough to pack healthy lunches with plastic utensils.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I think they're Lunchables.

I think they're crap too, it's just as easy to make a way healthier version of your own, however I feel like I have to point out that the sugar is so high because they always put either a small candy bar or a couple of cookies (like oreos) in the package. Also, the two red circles around ingredients on the bottom of the list on the left are probably all belonging completely to the candy/cookies (they have it blocked off by "trans fats", but if you read upwards you can see that everything else in the box [juice/meat/cheese/crackers] have already been listed). I'm not a nutrition label expert haha, but that is the way it looks.

Just saying, it's kind of common sense that candy/cookies aren't "healthy" lol, and they are high in sugar and all that other garbage.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Ahh. Going on the bottom circle of ingredients I'm going to say M&Ms.

We used to have something like that, I think they were called Snackabouts, but no lollies or drinks, I'm pretty sure they had chicken loaf, cheese, crackers and dried apricots. We never bought them though because they contained meat.

When the older ones were little there were these things called Mexigos that had corn chips, salsa, cream cheese and guacamole. I have to admit that we bought those a few times, but I wasn't too keen on them because they were long life products and long life cream cheese and avocado grossed me out.

Both seemed to have fizzled out, I haven't seen either one in the shops for years.

Last edited:

akmom

PF Fiend
May 22, 2012
United States
Ah Lunchables... what a joke. The first time I saw those, I thought, who would buy that?

It's just a lot of money for a small amount of crackers. I mean, you can buy a whole box of full-size Ritz crackers for that price. We eat them with smoked salmon and cream cheese.

And how hard is it to put some dried fruit in there, instead of candy? Why would anyone want to send their kids to school with candy? Some of these products are way behind the times. I mean, I can think of a lot of alterations that would make it healthy and still "convenient," and they could probably get away with charging ridiculous prices for it. But nobody buys Lunchables any more!

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
Someone has to be buying them in order for them to still be available for sale.

Some parents do pack terrible lunches, my younger kid's school wouldn't have to have sent a letter home stating that redbull, V and mother are inappropriate for lunch if there wasn't someone packing energy drinks for their kid.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
cybele said:
Someone has to be buying them in order for them to still be available for sale.

Some parents do pack terrible lunches, my younger kid's school wouldn't have to have sent a letter home stating that redbull, V and mother are inappropriate for lunch if there wasn't someone packing energy drinks for their kid.
Ooohhhh wow. That makes me angry. :(

And yeah, people still totally buy Lunchables. I see them all the time.

cybele

PF Addict
Feb 27, 2012
Australia
I was just confused by it. Who on earth wants their kid hyped up on caffeine, guarana and sugar in the first place?

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
I bet any money that some people just literally don't even look at the label or even know what's in it. Even more sad, probably a lot of them don't care.

It pisses me off, because that stuff is really bad for you. I mean, caffeine alone is a drug. It effects your brain, and is addicting. I mean, the energy drink cans literally say not for children on the back of them.

pwsowner

PF Enthusiast
May 15, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Having to eat school food would be a lot healthier for some children. Some parents don't know how to pack a good lunch and it's true that some just don't care.

I'll never forget the lunches I used to take to school back in grade 7 and 8. Anyone know what canned sardines are? I used to love sardine sandwiches, so my mother almost always made that for my lunch, but for some reason others in school didn't like that. Other kids would even move away from me when I was eating because you can smell sardines.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
You know, I have never even tried sardines! haha What do you put on a sandwich with them?