Could you please help 8-year-old Shanghai boy improve his English?...

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
May said:
Andy:

I couldn't find out my winter holiday homework today. Where can it be?
I couldn't find my winter holiday homework today. Where can it be? Find out refers to finding out information .... eg I couldn't find out from Joey where my homework book was, or I couldn't find out the price of eggs online. (??!!)

May said:
Andy:

Mum forgot to buy me chess excerise book today.
You could say Mum forgot to buy my chess exercise book today or
Mum forgot to buy me my chess exercise book today. Either is right.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">We piled a snowman today. It has an orange nose and two black eyes.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
fionamw said:
I couldn't find my winter holiday homework today. Where can it be? Find out refers to finding out information .... eg I couldn't find out from Joey where my homework book was, or I couldn't find out the price of eggs online. (??!!)

You could say Mum forgot to buy my chess exercise book today or
Mum forgot to buy me my chess exercise book today. Either is right.

Got both!

Thank you so much!:)

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
We piled a snowman today. It has an orange nose and two black eyes.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]

Sounds fun! We had snow here about a month ago, the first that actually settled since we've had the house - about five years. Charlie and a couple of neighbours had a wonderful snowball fight but we all got very wet and cold! We usually use a carrot for the nose, and coal or stones for the eyes. What did you use?

For some reason - English is often complicated and it's hard to explain why but this time it's the opposite - we simply say 'we built a snowman.' Otherwise, fine!

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
fionamw said:
Sounds fun! We had snow here about a month ago, the first that actually settled since we've had the house - about five years. Charlie and a couple of neighbours had a wonderful snowball fight but we all got very wet and cold! We usually use a carrot for the nose, and coal or stones for the eyes. What did you use?

For some reason - English is often complicated and it's hard to explain why but this time it's the opposite - we simply say 'we built a snowman.' Otherwise, fine!
:) Thank you so much! Fiona,

We use a carrot for the nose, and two black small balls for the eyes. My daughter made a skirt for the snowman with the carrots, and she put a straw hat on it too.:D

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:
We have just come back from my grammy's house. We had a wonderful time there.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:

We met lots of relatives at grammy's house. There were my aunts, uncles,cousins and my little nephew.

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
May said:
Andy:
We have just come back from my grammy's house. We had a wonderful time there.
May said:
Andy:

We met lots of relatives at grammy's house. There were my aunts, uncles,cousins and my little nephew.
First one flawless, :takeabow:
2nd: if you refer to you grammy slightly indirectly (can't remember the correct grammatical term, sorry), ie it is my grammyś house, or is your grammy the same age as my grammy, or my grammy's very tall, or whatever, it's ok to use a lower case g. If you are referring to her directly - Grammy says to do this, or 'what do you think, Grammy?' or 'is Grammy coming with us?' it has to have a capital letter because it's a name, like saying Fiona says to do this, or Mum told me to do that...
hope that's clear, it's harder to explain than do!

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
fionamw said:
First one flawless, :takeabow:
2nd: if you refer to you grammy slightly indirectly (can't remember the correct grammatical term, sorry), ie it is my grammyś house, or is your grammy the same age as my grammy, or my grammy's very tall, or whatever, it's ok to use a lower case g. If you are referring to her directly - Grammy says to do this, or 'what do you think, Grammy?' or 'is Grammy coming with us?' it has to have a capital letter because it's a name, like saying Fiona says to do this, or Mum told me to do that...
hope that's clear, it's harder to explain than do!
Thank you so much!

Got it!:)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:

We went to Shanghai Science &amp; Technology Museum yesterday.

We watched two 3D movies there.

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
May said:
Andy:

We went to Shanghai Science &amp; Technology Museum yesterday.

We watched two 3D movies there.
Utterly flawless.
You <U>could</U> change the second sentence - While we were there we watched two 3D movies - or join the two together, - We went to Shanghai Science &amp; Technology Museum yesterday and watched two 3D movies - but yours is <U>absolutely fine</U>.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:

We went to FuXing park yesterday. We took little train, little plane,rode horse and drove little car.We were very happy.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
fionamw said:
Utterly flawless.
You <U>could</U> change the second sentence - While we were there we watched two 3D movies - or join the two together, - We went to Shanghai Science &amp; Technology Museum yesterday and watched two 3D movies - but yours is <U>absolutely fine</U>.
:)

Got it!

You are really sweet!

I don't know how to thank you!:)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:

I rode my bike to Liyuan park. Mum and Dad took my sister to the park too. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. It was a beautiful day. We were very happy and we were in the park.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">Today is the first day of this term. We all are back to the school except Amy.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">I swim everyday except Tuesday. Mum and Dad works everyday except Saturday and Sunday.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">The garden is very beautiful. There are green trees, yellow flowers, pink flowers, orange flowers and beautiful butterflies.</SIZE>