Could you please help 8-year-old Shanghai boy improve his English?...

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">My Mum got a new laptop today! It looks different from the old one.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
I bought two new chess exercise books today. We need them in our chess class.</SIZE>[/COLOR]

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:

My Dad had a stomachache this morning, My Mom took him to hospital to see the doctor. We all worry about him.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
My Mum got a new laptop today! It looks different from the old one.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]

Absolutely fine, other than I might not use an exclamation point, I'm not sure it's that grand of news, but maybe it is. Tough call.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I bought two new chess exercise books today. We need them in our chess class.</SIZE>[/COLOR][/quote]

Both are fine, I might say "We need the for our chess class." (Why did you buy the book? I bought it for chess class. I use it in chess class...) Upon reading again, I might try to stay consistent with the point of view. I bought books....I need them for class....rather than "we."

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I got a silver medal of the Math competion today.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]

the senetence is fine, and congrats to Andy. I think I'd either capitalize both Math and Competition or neither.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
IADad said:
the senetence is fine, and congrats to Andy. I think I'd either capitalize both Math and Competition or neither.
Thank you so much! IADad:)

Friends here helped us a lot!

Xie xie!

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">I got a fish bone stuck in my throat. It went down after I drank some vinegar and swallowed a big bite of rice.</SIZE>

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I got a fish bone stuck in my throat. It went down after I drank some vinegar and swallowed a big bite of rice.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]

Well, the sentences are fine, but yikes, drinking vinegar....yuck....maybe this is one of the reasons I don't eat very much fish.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I made a hat with an eagle on it![/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]

Again, with the exclamation point...I reserve their use for something that I want to convey as though I shouted it.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
IADad said:
Again, with the exclamation point...I reserve their use for something that I want to convey as though I shouted it.
Full stop is better here.

I agree with you!

Thank you so much! IADad:)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy: The trees alongside Huaihai Rd. are very beautiful at night. With light, they looks like red plum blossom blooming in the dark night.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy: My grandpa is seriously sick with his heart disease since yesterday afternoon. My Dad has been back to our hometown early this morning.Mum and I worry about grandpa very much. God bless him.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:

Daddy wasn't at home this weekend, Mom took my little sister and I to have lunch at the grammy's home. She is our neighbor who took care of me since 6 years ago.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">We will have a swimming competition this Saturday. I will take part in several items</SIZE>.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
May said:
Andy: The trees alongside Huaihai Rd. are very beautiful at night. With light, they looks like red plum blossom blooming in the dark night.

Gold star - only one little thing, that might be a typo - "blossom" should be plural. "They" look like... "blossoms."

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
May said:
Andy: My grandpa is seriously sick with his heart disease since yesterday afternoon. My Dad has been back to our hometown early this morning.Mum and I worry about grandpa very much. God bless him.
Some tense agreement issues going on here. (oh, and my best wishes and prayers for your father in law.)

I'd say: "My grandpa <U>has been</U> seriously sick with heart disease since yesterday afternoon. "

"My dad went back to our hometown early this morning."

or

"My dad has been back in our hometown since early this morning."