Could you please help 8-year-old Shanghai boy improve his English?...

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">There was a hole in the swimming trunks of my teammate Chen. we all laughed at him.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">I played basketball in my uncle's yard with a guy. His basketball hit my head and finger. Now my finger is hurt.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">We went to Yu garden tody. It' very crowded as today is the Lantern Festival.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">I'm still hungry after dinner. So I want to eat several chocolate bars.</SIZE>

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
&lt;r&gt;Hi.... sorry for the gap in replying; Charlie's emailed too... it's all happening! Anyway, here are the loads of sentences Andy sent...&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I rode my bike to Liyuan park. Mum and Dad took my sister to the park too. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. It was a beautiful day. ALL ABSOLUTELY FINE. We were very happy and we were in the park. : not sure if you meant to say ‘we were very happy &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;that&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; we were in the park? (meaning &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;because&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; we were in the park?) We were very happy and we were in the park does make sense but is a bit of a mix of two parts which could seem unrelated. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<FONT font="Times New Roman">&lt;/s&gt;__________________&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;
</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;We went fishing and got 5 beautiful golden fishes. ABSOLUTELY FINE. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Winter holiday is over! What a pity! I &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;need&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; go to school tomorrow. You’d probably say HAVE to go to school tomorrow, need is probably acceptable but implies that it’s something you feel you’ve got to do for one specific thing (like, for example, to fetch a lost jacket or something) &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Today is the first day of this term. We all are back &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;to the&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; school except Amy. You’d say AT school. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="plum"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I swim everyday except Tuesday. Mum and Dad work&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;s&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; everyday except Saturday and Sunday. You’d say Mum and Dad work every day (two separate words) &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;The garden is very beautiful. There are green trees, yellow flowers, pink flowers, orange flowers and beautiful butterflies. Sounds lovely! You’d be more likely to say …. Green trees, &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;yellow, pink and orange flowers&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;, and beautiful butterflies. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;It's rainy but very warm today. FINE&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="#576569"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;SIZE size="3"&gt;&lt;s&gt;<SIZE size="125">&lt;/s&gt;&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Mum bought me two more chess books today. I love them very much. I think you’d be more likely to say I like them very much or I love them. (without the very much).&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;There was a hole in the swimming trunks of my teammate Chen. we all laughed at him.&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;You’d probably say it the other way round – There was a hole in my teammate Chen’s swimming trunks. We all laughed at him. (I bet you did!)&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I played basketball in my uncle's yard with a guy. His basketball hit my head and finger. Now my finger is hurt. I think you might say the first bit the other way round – I played basketball with a guy in my uncle’s yard. It’s ok the way you’ve done it but probably slightly better the other way. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="indigo"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;We went to Yu garden today. It's very crowded as today is the Lantern Festival. The second bit… you could say &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;It’s&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; very crowded if you’re saying the whole thing shortly after visiting the garden. If it’s been a few hours since you returned, you’d say It &lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;was&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt; very crowded…. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="indigo"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="darkslategray"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;I'm still hungry after dinner. So I want to eat several chocolate bars. Ha!! Not sure the best way to advise you on this one; if it was my elder son I think he’d probably say I know I’ve had my dinner but I’m still hungry &amp; feel like eating some chocolate. To try &amp; alter yours, I think you could say I’m still hungry after dinner and want to eat some chocolate bars. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="darkslategray"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="navy"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Today is very busy. I made an invitation card. Second part fine. Not sure what the first part refers to so don’t know if it should be is or was. &lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
Sorry again; when I'm an internationally famous author (that's what I've been doing, trying to finish a book I'm co-writing to send it to publishers!!) it'll all be worth it!:eek:&lt;/r&gt;

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">I bought a swimming trunks from our coach today. I haven't pay him yet. It's RMB 19. I'm going to pay him tomorrow.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
........[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/COLOR]:eek:[/quote]

:jiggy::jiggy:
We are so glad to hear from you again!

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much!:)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
Andy:
Our teacher checked our eyesight yesterday, both of my eyes are good!

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
<SIZE size="200"><U><I>pair of</I></U> swimming trunks from our coach today. I haven't <I>paid</I> him yet. It's RMB 19. I'm going to pay him tomorrow.[/COLOR]</SIZE>

(you might be more likely to say ... are fine rather than good, but it's essentially ok!):)

Just realised I missed something: You'd say either 'they cost RMB 19' or they are (they're) RMB 19 or even possibly they were RMB 19 - not entirely sure of the grammatical reason for it being ok to put it in the past, maybe it's cos the transaction, ie you buying the trunks, happened yesterday or whenever rather than some purchase you're about to make.

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">Our chess school will have a aound competition, It will last 5 weeks.</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<U><I>pair of</I></U> swimming trunks from our coach today. I haven't <I>paid</I> him yet. It's RMB 19. I'm going to pay him tomorrow.[/COLOR][/SIZE]</SIZE>

(you might be more likely to say ... are fine rather than good, but it's essentially ok!):)

Just realised I missed something: You'd say either 'they cost RMB 19' or they are (they're) RMB 19 or even possibly they were RMB 19 - not entirely sure of the grammatical reason for it being ok to put it in the past, maybe it's cos the transaction, ie you buying the trunks, happened yesterday or whenever rather than some purchase you're about to make.[/quote]

Make sense! Thank you very much!

Nice weekend!:)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">I need buy an abacus. We will start to learn abacus next week.</SIZE>

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
<U>aound </U>competition, It will last 5 weeks.[/COLOR][/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]

not sure what this word is meant to be.... let me know &amp; I'll think about it again!

I need buy an abacus. We will start to learn abacus next week.[/SIZE]</SIZE>[/quote]

First phrase fine. Second phrase... if abacus is a subject on its own, such as algebra, or geometry, then it's fine. If it's only the actual equipment, then it would be We will start to learn the abacus next week. :)

(Is it common for everyone to use abacus in all of China? parts? We have an abacus for Charlie because we're keen he gets to understand maths from as many different ways as possible but it's not usual to have them above the age of about 4, if at all.)

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
<SIZE size="200">Today is March 8. It's International Woman's Day.</SIZE>
<SIZE size="200">Mum:
Happy holiday to you!
</SIZE>

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
fionamw said:
not sure what this word is meant to be.... let me know &amp; I'll think about it again!

First phrase fine. Second phrase... if abacus is a subject on its own, such as algebra, or geometry, then it's fine. If it's only the actual equipment, then it would be We will start to learn the abacus next week. :)

(Is it common for everyone to use abacus in all of China? parts? We have an abacus for Charlie because we're keen he gets to understand maths from as many different ways as possible but it's not usual to have them above the age of about 4, if at all.)
Thank you! :)

It's not a subject, just a part of maths.

Looks nobody usese abacus anymore in China. But there are course for pupil, i think that's designed for better understanding maths also.:)

fionamw

PF Regular
Jan 10, 2010
Today is March 8. It's International Woman's Day.[/SIZE]</SIZE>
<SIZE size="200">Mum:</SIZE>
<SIZE size="200">Happy holiday to you!</SIZE>[/quote]

Looks fine to me! Sometimes - maybe most often - people say 'happy holidays' even if it's only one day or one holiday, I can't explain that but it's a fact!

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
fionamw said:
Looks fine to me! Sometimes - maybe most often - people say 'happy holidays' even if it's only one day or one holiday, I can't explain that but it's a fact!
:twitcy:Thank you!

May

PF Fanatic
Mar 5, 2009
My little sister ate a whole piece of banana just now. I ate a piece of banana too.</SIZE>[/COLOR]