Father slaps Daughter!...

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
singledad said:
First - would you want the definition of "abuse" amended to include spanking, or should a separate law be passed against spanking specifically?
To be perfectly honest, singledad, I have no idea. I am not a law or enforcement professional, and the impact of whether it should be part or not of the abuse laws eludes me. My formation is in the field of child care and social work - not in the field of lawyer or judge or policy maker. So I know what spanking does to children, and how important it is that this kind of thing stops. But I do not know how to implement it or legislate it in the most effective way; that would be someone else's job.

I would imagine that the answer to this can be found by observing what the 25 or so countries that banned Spanking did, and how it worked; I imagine each country might have implemented this differently.

In Canada, the supreme court still authorizes "spanking", but only within specific limits: it has to be "reasonable" (the word's definition being left to the interpretation of a judge), it is not tolerated anywhere on the head (so slapping would be criminal in Canada), it has to be with the open hand only, and finally it's tolerated after 2 years old and before 12 years old only. So Canada has chosen to adopt a law that attempts to define that fuzzy limit between spanking and abuse, I imagine. Other countries banned spanking all together.

1. How will cases of spanking be brought under the attention of the police, especially for younger children, who can't report it themselves? 2. How should it be investigated?
In Canada, <I>everyone </I>is bound by law to report a case of suspected abuse or violence toward children to child services. Not just child professionals. You can be sued if you have witness an act of child abuse and have not reported it.

However, reporting what you have seen (whether or not it is considered abuse) is not enough to get anyone arrested: what it does is that it triggers an investigation from child services. These social workers are then mandated to perform what is called an "at-risk assessment", which is something as a child care professional I have been trained to do.
It's a very thorough evaluation, in which a lot of things are looked for: of course, obvious marks and signs of physical abuse, but also: is the child developmentally late for his age (speech, motor skills)? Are the parents willingly participative to the investigation or are they blocking the process? What is the socio-economic level and impact? What is the education level and its impact? Are parents receptive to get parenting classes? Are children well fed? How do they fare in school? Did the child teacher notice something? Did the child's pediatrician notice something? What are the family dynamics? Have parents been charged with a criminal record before? Have there been any previous call to child services about this child and/or parent? etc etc. It's very comprehensive.

Who has the burden of proof, and what constitutes proof?
The observation made by a citizen rarely constitute any direct proof, because they do not have context.

3. How should these parents be charged? Spot fines? Court cases? What sorts of sentences? Do they get a criminal record?
Not sure, SingleDad. Again, since I am not an expert in law or enforcement, I don't feel qualified to take that kind of decisions. It would be interesting to see how it has been done in various countries around the world.
What I <I>can</I> tell you, however, is that child services in Canada, in 2011, do not remove a child from their parent's lightly. It is considered a last resort, something to do when the damage it can do to the child is considered lower than the damage he already receives from staying with them.

4. What measures should be put in place to prevent repeat offences?
The purpose of having an offense on record is that, even when nothing happens immediately, it adds to the big picture when a child services at-risk assessment is triggered.
Child services can force parents to attend parenting classes and learn alternate, effective ways to handle discipline without the use of pain (and, I must add, without the use of any verbal abuse either).

I don't know if I have answered (at least partly) to your questions.
I do not pretend I have all the answers! But I am convinced - both from my knowledge and experience, and from the fact that it worked on so many other countries - that solutions are possibles. It stands to reason that it's possible to stop hitting our children without causing more problems with child abuse.

Pardon me, but I genuinely still have a hard time getting what slippery slope you see there. So let's say spanking is not tolerated in a country anymore. How does this affect how child abuse is countered and stopped? NancyM suggested that it can only help, because people no longer have to ask themselves if their own definition of spanking is or is not abuse: you are not allowed to lay a hand on your child, period. I would tend to agree with that. What would be the negative part, from a legal stand point?

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
parentastic said:
<I>My children are mine, I can do whatever I want with them, and I won't let anyone or any law dictate what I can or can't do with them in my own home. I may not use spanking, but I will let no one tell me I can't use it if I want to. And since I clearly love my children and would never want to harm them, I will let no one tell me I might have done something to them that is 'criminal' or harmful.</I>
Oh, but you do assume. [/QUOTE]
I do? Okay. So all of the above is wrong, it has nothing to do with that, is that it?

MomoJA said:
And you will never understand the danger of what you propose even as you admit that spanking except when it is semantically criminal is not actually criminal. That very fact is a great part of what I find dangerous. The fact that you will never see it.
:err: Criminalizing spanking is dangerous because I can't see how dangerous criminalizing spanking is? Okay, now you have lost me?
Seriously. Inflicting pain on a child is wrong. Isn't it simple?

MomoJA said:
You are fond of giving, as proof that spanking should be criminalized, things that were legal in the past that are obviously wrong. Let's follow that logic. There have been many "objectionable" things that have been made illegal in the past because the mob wanted to "teach" society how to behave. I cringe.
I get that. The mob has worked hard to outlaw gay parenting and gay marriage, and has resisted many freedom issues on the basis of religion or old "values" of outdated morality to justify atrocious deeds. The same way, the mob has been known to lynch black people and, before that, witches, on the basis of their skin color or their knowledge and religious disbelief. A lot of bad decisions were taken by mobs out of ignorance.

However, might I respectfully point out that the mob, in this case, is precisely the majority of parents resisting the change, sticking to old outdated values based on how they were raised, and fighting to continue the use of a barbaric practice - violence against children - on the basis of their ignorance that it is actually for the child's own good?
That the only reason that new laws are slowly being put in place is precisely because, against the mob, <I>science and knowledge</I> is casting a new light over these practices and we, as a society, evolves against the conservative resistance, toward a society in which we no longer hurt children?

The shift toward criminalizing spanking isn't a mob decision, MomoJA. It's not a shift out of ignorance. Most parents, before the legal shift, came from houses in which spanking was traditionally used - as you said yourself - from generations to generations, for thousands years. Which is why there is so much <I>resistance</I>. It's not out of ignorance that we are banning spanking. It's out of knowledge.

MomoJA said:
We as a people look back on those hysterical reactions motivated by fear and often religion, and we thank our lucky stars that we no longer live in a time when a person can be persecuted not for a crime but for "objectionable" practices. Or do we?
What about the child. Can you say children live in a place where they cannot be persecuted? They don't even need to do an "objectionable" practice: they just need to be themselves and try to grow, and it's enough for them to be persecuted. Why is that normal? Is fear and religion pushing people to criminalize spanking? It seems to me that it is religion that is pushing people to spank ("<I>spare the rod, spoil the child</I>"?) and fear that makes people scared to ban such a practice.

Why would anyone claim he is not a witch unless he is one?
Am I to understand that you feel you are about to be burned at the stake? <I>what are you afraid of?</I>

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
parentastic said:
I do? Okay. So all of the above is wrong, it has nothing to do with that, is that it?

:err: Criminalizing spanking is dangerous because I can't see how dangerous criminalizing spanking is? Okay, now you have lost me?
Seriously. Inflicting pain on a child is wrong. Isn't it simple?

I get that. The mob has worked hard to outlaw gay parenting and gay marriage, and has resisted many freedom issues on the basis of religion or old "values" of outdated morality to justify atrocious deeds. The same way, the mob has been known to lynch black people and, before that, witches, on the basis of their skin color or their knowledge and religious disbelief. A lot of bad decisions were taken by mobs out of ignorance.

However, might I respectfully point out that the mob, in this case, is precisely the majority of parents resisting the change, sticking to old outdated values based on how they were raised, and fighting to continue the use of a barbaric practice - violence against children - on the basis of their ignorance that it is actually for the child's own good?
That the only reason that new laws are slowly being put in place is precisely because, against the mob, <I>science and knowledge</I> is casting a new light over these practices and we, as a society, evolves against the conservative resistance, toward a society in which we no longer hurt children?

The shift toward criminalizing spanking isn't a mob decision, MomoJA. It's not a shift out of ignorance. Most parents, before the legal shift, came from houses in which spanking was traditionally used - as you said yourself - from generations to generations, for thousands years. Which is why there is so much <I>resistance</I>. It's not out of ignorance that we are banning spanking. It's out of knowledge.

What about the child. Can you say children live in a place where they cannot be persecuted? They don't even need to do an "objectionable" practice: they just need to be themselves and try to grow, and it's enough for them to be persecuted. Why is that normal? Is fear and religion pushing people to criminalize spanking? It seems to me that it is religion that is pushing people to spank ("<I>spare the rod, spoil the child</I>"?) and fear that makes people scared to ban such a practice.

Am I to understand that you feel you are about to be burned at the stake? <I>what are you afraid of?</I>
Yes, parentastic, in your vast wisdom, much vaster than anyone who disagrees with you, you have seen through the Internet into my soul. You know me better than I know myself. You've got me.

I'm sorry the allusion went over your head. I would have thought it was big enough to catch it. I won't bother to explain it. You have just proven it again.

I'm sorry that you continue to be so distracted by spanking that you cannot see my objections are about criminalizing not a crime.

And I'm sorry that your mind is so simple that you think you own exclusive rights to the persecuted. I've always found it sadly laughable when people sit on their high horses and think that they have the moral monopoly. It's so ironic.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
MomoJA said:
I'm sorry the allusion went over your head. I would have thought it was big enough to catch it.
I'm sorry that you continue to be so distracted by spanking that you cannot see my objections are about criminalizing not a crime.
So your objections are about "criminalizing" something that isn't a crime, then? I am sorry to be slow here, but that's not very clear.
The concept of what is a crime or isn't a crime is a social construct, isn't it? From a legal standpoint, it's a crime once we, as a society, decide that it is a crime.
From the moral standpoint, however, forcing pain on a child is wrong. And that's true, whether or not it's considered a crime or not.

You have given me a lot of sarcasm, sneered responses, dubious analogy dabbing from slavery to the holocaust, have offered vague worries about what <I>might happen </I>while never giving any concrete examples; you have called me "laughable" and "simple minded", you have accused me of "getting on my horses" and have called my side of the debate "hysterical"... but I have yet to hear one serious, concrete, clear objection about this debate from you.

Say it becomes a crime to hit your child. Then what?

I am more than willing to concede that I am far from having any monopoly on morality. But could you at least provide some counterpart? <I>something? </I>anything? And you could <I>please</I> do it without the name calling and the personal attacks? I would be most thankful of you to stay respectful.

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
You said:
parentastic said:
MomoJA, you have a very good point here above: abusers don't give a damn about laws anyway, and there are already laws that criminalize abuse and child abuse. And I wholeheartedly agree with Singledad, that it is a very difficult, and ultimately useless task to attempt to draw the precise line, if any, between spanking and abuse.

I am not sure why this argument is being brought forth in the first place, though. I can't speak for others, but I know as far as I am concerned, <I>the reason I want all forms of spanking to be declared illegal has nothing to do with "preventing abuse"</I>. For me it is about:

* Respecting a child's rights as being the same as any other human beings
* Respecting a person's right to preserve his physical integrity from physical violence, regardless of whether that violence is minimal or maximal, is called abuse or spanking, or whatever.
And yet, you say:
parentastic said:
To be perfectly honest, singledad, I have no idea. I am not a law or enforcement professional, and<I> the impact of whether it should be part or not of the abuse laws eludes me.</I>
And so you confirm my suspicion that you are, in fact, advocating for a law without having giving proper thought to how feasible that law is, or what the possible unintended consequences could be.

parentastic said:
Pardon me, but I genuinely still have a hard time getting what slippery slope you see there. So let's say spanking is not tolerated in a country anymore. How does this affect how child abuse is countered and stopped?
So me start with explaining why I asked the first question:

If it is part of abuse laws, then it constitutes a finer definition of abuse. This is what was done in Sweden, and thus it is easy to go and look at the effect it had. This is always where my previous arguments, that you dismissed in the first quote of this post, comes into play. If it isn't part of the abuse laws, then it constitutes a new law based purely on outlawing something that has been shown to be harmful. This is the slippery slope I am talking about. Let me try to explain, since it seems I wasn't clear enough before.

Lets deal with option A - amending the abuse law first.

Interestingly, when I started reading about the effects the spanking ban has had in Sweden, the first few results of my Google search confirmed the fears I had, based on my gut feeling and my own experiences as a child.

http://www.nkmr.org/english/differentiating_evidence_from_advocacy.htm[/URL]
http://familyrightsassociation.com/educate/spanking/child_abuse_sweden.htm[/URL]

Perhaps you will have information discrediting Dr Robert E Larzelere, but I find some of the statistics he quoted, extremely disturbing.
Dr Larzelere said:
The percentage increases from 1984 to 1994 in criminal assaults against 7- to 14-year-olds were as follows: A 519% increase by minors under 15; a 231% increase by 15- to 19-year-olds; 133% by 20- to 24-year-olds; 53% by 25- to 29-year-olds; 122% by 30- to 39-year-olds; 147% by 40- to 49-year-olds; and 128% by perpetrators over 49 (Wittrock, 1995)
Isn't it disturbing that EVERY SINGLE statistic went up by a large margin?

He then also goes on to talk about how much higher the risk of children being removed from the home is in Sweden compared to other countries, and a few other equally disturbing things.

Perhaps your reasons for banning spanking has nothing to do with abuse, but can you understand that <I>it can have a severe, negative effect on efforts to prevent abuse?</I> Would you be willing to sacrifice a few abused children, in order to save other children from spanking, while even the scientific community cannot yet agree on exactly how harmful it is, and why?

I leave you do do your own reading about the effects spanking bans have had in other countries. Just remember that you have to be able to look at a generation that have been brought up entirely without spanking, in order to draw accurate conclusions. This leaves you with only Sweden, and perhaps Norway.

Option B - outlawing something that has been shown to be harmful.

Lets step away from spanking specifically, and look at the general concept of outlawing things that have been shown to be harmful to children.

Lets start by making a list of harmful things:

<LIST>

• <LI>
  • Excessive amount of hours spent in front of the TV.</LI>
    <LI>
  • Use of walking rings (yes, I know many scientist now disagree with previous studies linking lack of crawling to learning disabilities, but the lack of muscle-tone in children who spent their days in walking rings still keeps hundreds of OTs in business).</LI>
    <LI>
  • Divorce, and/or single-parent families. (I'm sure we can all agree that the ideal family has two parents who live, happily, in the same house?)</LI>
    <LI>
  • Inappropriate diets</LI>
    <LI>
  • Lack of supervision and/or discipline (note - I did not say punishment!)</LI>
    <LI>
  • etc. I could probably go on all day. I'm sure that with your expertise, you can make an even longer list than I can.</LI>
</LIST>
So now that you have an idea of the context - I have a simple question - <U>what makes spanking different from the many other harmful things that parents do, either intentionally or unintentionally, that warrants that it, alone, should be outlawed? </U>

Or shall we outlaw walking-rings, McDonald's and divorce? Can you not see that if we start down this road, we could end up with laws dictating what children should eat, how much TV time they get, and what time they should go to bed? How would you react to being charged with not feeding your child enough spinach?

Not the same thing? Don't worry, I know that such a law would be insane. Bare with me, Here is my point:

On the spectrum of "things that are bad for children", with spanking at the one extreme and lack of spinach on the other, where will you stop legislating, and start trusting parents?

Can you see the slippery slope now?

Since you are advocating for legislation to be put in place, while admitting that you are not a legal expert, I leave you with this interesting article about the unforeseen consequences of legislation:

http://www.suite101.com/content/the-unintended-unforeseen-consequences-of-legislation-a245925[/URL]

I trust I have now sufficiently explained the risks I have been pointing out all along, and will not have to repeat myself again, in even more detail.

PS: I find it slightly ironic that you, who take such great pains to explain that children should be taught instead of punished, advocate that misguided (ignorant) parents should be subjected to laws and punishment. Would education not be a more appropriate approach for eradicating ignorance? :confused:

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
parentastic said:
So your objections are about "criminalizing" something that isn't a crime, then? I am sorry to be slow here, but that's not very clear.
The concept of what is a crime or isn't a crime a social construct, isn't it? From a legal standpoint, it's a crime once we, as a society, decide that it is a crime.
From the moral standpoint, however, forcing pain on a child is wrong. And that's true, whether or not it's considered a crime or not.
Parentastic, well said. It's so simple really. I too have tried to stress this point that hitting children hurts. Why do some parents 'CHOOSE' to inflict pain to make their children do as they say? NO ONE has answered that question as of yet, and I'm pretty sure they won't.

Jeremy+3

PF Addict
Apr 18, 2009
Nottinghamshire
I'm not sure why some parents decide to inflict physical of mental pain upon their child (or upon any body).

As I work in a school with various units you deal with a lot of children who have been hit by their parents or who have been emotionally abused, sometimes a combination of both.

It is horrible seeing what happens to these children, there are three common outcomes, the child is scared of the parent/authority, the child uses the parents technique e.g. hitting against the parent and others, or the child shuts down so they accept the fact that their parents hit them and generally don't really react to it.

None of those are good for children, being scared of authority is the most common outcome for children who are hit by their parents, now these parents see this as the child complying in a positive way, such as the hitting stops the negative behavior. But it doesn't actually work like that, the fear of being hit stops the behavior, which doesn't allow the child to understand why a certain behavior is wrong, which makes the hitting more stressful on that child.

Being scared of authority is also very dangerous, it allows people in authority to abuse that child in other ways as a child with a fear of authority does not reveal what is happening to them in most cases.

The child shouldn't be thinking "if I make a mess mum/dad will hit me" where as a child should think "if I make a mess I will be expected to clean it up as I shouldn't expect others to do it for me, if I don't do I will be punished (e.g. time out etc)". Punishment should be something that children don't like, but it should never be something designed to harm them mentally or physically.

The biggest problem for us is rehabilitating these children, as while you can help a child understand what has happened to them and how to start dealing with it, you very rarely have a parent/s who will accept their wrong doing.

When you have a child who mimics their parents behavior it is extremely hard to deal with that behavior, even in a treatment setting most will carry on hitting, especially those they are closest to, which then does sadly lead to physically abusive partners.

Singledad

Not all of those things you listed are harmful, the diet issue is very harmful, which is why severely under or overweight children who don't have health issues that can effect weight such as CF are placed on at risk (where parenting is monitored and advised) and some are removed from their parents all would be given parenting classes along with help from a dietician to monitor the child's weight until it was felt that the child was eating an appropriate diet and doing and appropriate amount of exercise.

Again lack of supervision also results in the at risk register, or in some cases removal of the child/ren, I saw someone post on here not too long ago about leaving their 10 year old at home, this would lead to the parent being prosecuted here, with at least strict parenting classes and removal of the child and possibly a prison sentence if they were left alone again during the day before the age of 12.

Discipline is different as this has to vary with each child, Jackson for example has never been grounded, he has never done anything very bad to warrant a big punishment and didn't use the naughty step past the age of seven. According to some people that is a lack of discipline, it isn't about the amount, it is about applying it to the right situation.

People also have different expectations about a child's behavior, in some countries it is actually acceptable for four year olds to run around in public, be very noisy etc in some it isn't, as most countries are built upon immigration you will have very different expectations within one area. None are the right expectation, they are just the ideal situation for that family.

There are lots of products that are deemed harmful in a way, but that harm is normally very small and has a very small chance of occurring, bottle feeding is harmful as it increases the babies risk of digestive problems, not using completely flat car seats in the first six months causes breathing problems in babies, breast feeding is harmful as the mothers body stores toxins during pregnancy which are released into the breast milk after birth. Those Bumbo seats are harmful as they lead to weak stomach muscles which can lead to some babies slouching until their muscles strengthen. None of these have long term impacts and the chances of them having negative effects on the child at the time of occurrence are very small.

Divorce and single parenting isn't a bad thing, quite a few papers in the UK have shown that children with two mothers tend to out perform their peers both within school, socially and after school e.g. further education and career wise. Where as the worst performing group are children with parents in an unhappy/dysfunctional relationship whether those parents are married or not.

Watching lots of tv isn't harmful, the main reason we don't let ours watch tv is because we don't really like tv, so we don't want to have to listen to it. As with other things it isn't necessarily the amount, but it is more about the content, which also depends on the person. Some people believe the simpsons is appropriate for children, others don't, but the child wont come to any harm watching the simpsons.

(I should just point out that there are a lot things which are incorrect in the article you have just posted, the one about Edwina Curry for example, only chickens found to be carrying salmonella were slaughtered as their eggs can never be sold and their meat can't either.

This coincided with more farmers becoming free range, therefore reducing the number of chickens they kept, this caused more damage than slaughtering chickens that would never be fit for human consumption.

The reason she resigned is because farmers weren't compensated, which is a good thing, you shouldn't reward farmers for selling diseased and dangerous stock, but other reasons were very stupid things she had done in the recent past. To put the chicken thing into prospective, 2 million were killed out of 300 million. After her resignation Whitehall released a reporting confirming Edwina's (or Eggwina as she is known) concerns about salmonella in British chickens, before this the PM had dismissed her claims and said they were based on lies, which is another reason she was unpopular, she was basically a scapegoat.

The membership scheme is also still in use and it is not unrecogniseable, the biggest change was adding photographs to peoples information since its creation.)

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
jeremy+3 said:
Not all of those things you listed are harmful,
Oh for goodness sake, Jeremy, I was sucking a bunch of things out of my thumb as an example list of things that are bad for a child. Those are trees. I'm trying to describe a forest, but its a bit hard to describe a forest without mentioning trees. I am not about to get into a debate about exactly how harmful those things are. That's not the point. The point is that there are many harmful things that parents do that are legal, some of which have serious, permanent consequences, some less so, and some little to none. I'm sorry if my list is debatable. But that isn't the debate.

And congratulations on spotting some errors in that article. I never said that article is 100% correct. I didn't even spend any time verifying it. I just found it interesting in the context.

All I'm trying to say is that
1) I don't believe that is is possible to outlaw everything that is harmful, or even wrong according to any specific set of moral values. So who gets to decide where to draw the line?
2) I believe that legislation can, and often does, have unintended and unforeseen consequences, and that therefore one must be very careful about calling for legislation without first considering what the side-effects may be.

Why is that so hard to understand?

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
I'm writing quick because I'm late, so please try not to read to much into this:

I'm not judging any of us on this board because I think any parent who joins a message board and asks for advice has to be a decent parent, and including me is not perfect and has lost our temper and yelled at our children or even gave them a whack. (I'm not even talking about that parent) That's why we come here, to learn from others because we really love our kids.

My concern about spanking is that many people hit kids because they want to hurt them. NOT teach them, and that is almost impossible to prove.
You can see just from how we all defend our stand what it would look like in a court room.

You read about it all the time. People punish children in horrendous ways as we all have heard, and these little innocent victims have no one to save them, they have no hope.

Out of all the laws that our countries enact, and set forth, why is it that child protection has to be so complicated, of all things.
Why can't everyone just see it for what it is, and not accept it and just stick together on it? It really is for protecting innocent children from horrible abuse, and many times death.

Many abusers don't think they are doing anything wrong, they claim the child needed to learn a lesson, so they hit them. That's not right any way you want to put it. We aren't even allowed to hit murders in our prisons to teach them a lesson. (which by the way the prison officer would have to face charges) Why should it be allowed to strike a child?

Even if one true abuser is thrown in jail isn't it worth it? Of course innocent people will be dragged down sometimes, look how many already have served time in prisons and have turned out to be innocent. That's how it goes, laws aren't perfect either. But what else should we do?

Children still need laws to protect them, because unfortunately even their own parents won't . It's really not so complicated.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
Hello Singledad, I think you have brought a lot of very pertinent points in the last post, and I thank you for it. It certainly brings reflection to a new level. And I think we can find a lot of common ground in many of these points.

singledad said:
Lets step away from spanking specifically, and look at the general concept of outlawing things that have been shown to be harmful to children. On the spectrum of "things that are bad for children", with spanking at the one extreme and lack of spinach on the other, where will you stop legislating, and start trusting parents? Can you see the slippery slope now?
I understand this concern. As you said, there are many, many different things that parents might do or not do and that can, in various way and degrees, harm children.
And you have a good point here that some of these things might harm children a lot more than, say, a mild form of spanking.
I don't disagree with that!
And I think you are completely right that legislating on some of these issues, as harmful as they might be, is going to be difficult and raise some important ethical questions as where we draw the limit.

For me, IMO, there is however a very important distinction between every one of these situations that have been shown to be harmful to children, and spanking.
The key, for me, is simple: hitting children, in any way, shape or form, violates a person's rights. The charter for human rights is quite clear about this and it is universally accepted for adults; however for some strange reason that nobody wants to acknowledge amongst the defenders of spanking, when it's about children, these rights no longer seems to matter.

Through a ban on spanking, I am asking for children's rights to be respected as much as any other human being on the planet.
So, for me - the logic behind the ban is very different from an attempt to ban parent's practices that are harmful to children. For me, there is no slippery slope because the basis for this initiative is very clear cut: no other harmful parental practices, short of abuse itself, falls under the category of protecting human rights.

Just for the record, by the way, my personal stance on child rearing and the studies that lead me to this stance, lead me to advocate not only against spanking, but <I>against any form of punishment</I>. I teach parents how to handle discipline without ever having to use any sort of threats, or resort to any use of force, and I do it with great effectiveness....<U> yet I would never advocate to legislate to ban punishment all together</U>, even if it is also harmful to children on the long run. I am saying this, because I want it known that the ban on spanking that I advocate for is all about human rights, not about attempting to force parents into one or another parenting method. In short, I am trying to protect human rights, not to control what parents do, even if there is a link between the two.

singledad said:
And so you confirm my suspicion that you are, in fact, advocating for a law without having giving proper thought to how feasible that law is, or what the possible unintended consequences could be.
I humbly and transparently recognize and admit this. I am no policy maker! Which is okay, since I am in no position to make these policies anyway. And I think you have an excellent point here, that any given law, especially this wide, will have consequences - side effects - that needs to be addressed carefully.

IMO, here is how it compares, singledad - and I realize what I am about to write here is only a comparison, so it is flawed, but please bear with me. When black people were enslaved in America, and people were fighting to ban slavery and declare every human free, this might have resulted in many negative, nasty consequences. I am saying this without any actual verification, but it is <I>possible</I> that passing a law that bans slavery in America had huge consequences on crime rate: after all, a bunch of angry people who had been enslaved for decades suddenly were free to take revenge and run wild in the street.
Yet I believe it still was the right thing to do. Pass the law, make it right. Make it mandatory to respect human being's fundamental rights. Then, deal with the consequences through new policies, social programs and education.

This is how I see it, IMO. Say that child abuse is actually increased out of this law? Well then - let's find out why, and let's work on it, and pass new measures and education so as to counter this. But let's not use these fears to stop us from doing what's right. Especially since alternatives that are far more effective exists, and have been proven to work a lot better.

singledad said:
Perhaps you will have information discrediting Dr Robert E Larzelere, but I find some of the statistics he quoted, extremely disturbing.
I really do not want to discredit Dr. Larzelere. I am familiar with his line of research, as I have studied his work, as well as the work of Ghershoff and the other few scientists who worked on spanking in the scientific field. And I appreciate that people like him, and like the other scientists, are working hard with long term research to ask the proper questions and nuance each other's work, so we get to a refined and more balanced consensus in the professional field.

On the flip side, I don't believe that a single researcher is enough to know a field. IMO, I like to work from a broad literature review of research, and I like to put each research in its context and taking each researcher's bias into account.
For instance, let's take Sweden.
Researcher agree that these statistics are very difficult to link to spanking. There is a correlation, but not a causality link. The reason is simple: in 25 years, a whole country evolves in so many ways that it becomes very difficult to isolate each variable and determine if these statistics wouldn't have increased ANYWAY, regardless of spanking. For all we know, they might have increased less because of the spanking ban than without - we have no way of knowing this.
Here is an extract from the counter-study from the one you quoted, from Dr. Durrent, on a study that finds the ban on Sweden to be effective and useful, published in the Journal of Child Abuse & Neglect, volume 23, Issue 5, May 1999: <I>Evaluating the success of sweden’s corporal punishment ban</I> (you might need a subscription to a university library to download the full study):
Durrent said:
Public support for corporal punishment has declined, identification of children at risk has increased, child abuse mortality is rare, prosecution rates have remained steady, and social service intervention has become increasingly supportive and preventive.
Conclusions: The Swedish ban has been highly successful in accomplishing its goals.
None the less, Durant himself explains that:
Durrent said:
It is important to note that direct causal relationships between the passage of the corporal punishment ban and the trends reported here cannot be drawn. Many social changes have occurred in Sweden over the past 25 years, including ongoing legislative reform, demographic shifts, and modifications to social policies. These forces have likely interacted with the attitudinal shifts engendered by the corporal punishment ban to produce the trends reported here.
In the same way, Larzelere's conclusion about Sweden's statistics should be taken very, very carefully.
One hint that this is the case is Finland, where spanking was banned in 1984, and where none of these statistics were found in the 25 years that followed. One would think that if, truly, there was a causality link between the increase in child abuse and the ban on spanking, one would see that trend in all the other countries where it was also banned. And that's not currently the case.

Note that not <I>every single </I>statistics from Sweden was increasing... only every single statistics that Larzelere chose to report in his study. Many other important indicators did not raise, or went lower; but Larzelere chose not to show them. For instance:

Durrent said:
Reports of assaults against children cannot be assumed to reflect rates of child physical abuse, as they are highly vulnerable to shifts in public awareness and definitions of violence. Child criminal death rates, which have remained at a constantly low rate since 1974, suggest that child physical abuse has not increased in the wake of the corporal punishment ban. In fact, by the late 1980s, the Swedish rate of infant (under 1-year-of-age) homicide was among the lowest in the world; this rate (.009 per 1,000 live births) reflected the criminal death of only one infant between 1985 and 1990 (Belsey, 1993).
Swedish child abuse mortality rates, a more specific indicator of the extent of physical abuse in a nation, are internationally very low; for 15 years, no children died in Sweden as a result of abuse. Recent fluctuations of the rate from zero reflect the death of one child in each of four years between 1990 and 1996. These findings suggest that recent trends in reporting rates reflect increased public awareness of the problem of child abuse, rather than an actual increase in violence.
I can send you the full research if you want, but I can't post it here for copyright reasons. It's very comprehensive.
More things next message!

Last edited:

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
(continued from previous message)

singledad said:
He then also goes on to talk about how much higher the risk of children being removed from the home is in Sweden compared to other countries, and a few other equally disturbing things.
Yes, this is a very good point, and these statistics about Sweden are indeed disturbing. I think that any country who would ban spanking needs to carefully think and address this risk - because removing a child from his parents has severe consequences for a child and its development, and is not something that should ever happen lightly.
What it means, to me, is that qualified people need to work hard on to how to implement such a legislation, so that this important concern is addressed.

One last note here:

singledad said:
I find it slightly ironic that you, who take such great pains to explain that children should be taught instead of punished, advocate that misguided (ignorant) parents should be subjected to laws and punishment. Would education not be a more appropriate approach for eradicating ignorance?
I want to say, this is a very, very good point.
I have had these debates and discussions for a while now, and it is something I have asked myself quite a few time. I do see the paradox here. For the record, I don't believe in punishment... including punishing adults. I do believe that education, and reparation are much more effective, and that everyone should find their own internal motivation to do things right. So I am acutely aware of how paradoxical it can be to go for a legal ban on spanking. As much as I fight to ban spanking, I fight even more for governments to give more funding to social programs, educational programs, parenting workshops and advertisement campaign to educate people.

But let me clarify one thing, again purely as far as I am concerned personally: I don't believe that a ban on spanking will work <I>because of the punishment</I>. In fact, I'd be happy if there was a way to make it illegal without punishment... It's not the punishment I am looking for in a law. It's the seriousness of the message. In one of your post, you used the analogy with the speed limit:

singledad said:
It's a bit like bringing down the speed limit on a stretch of road, to stop people from breaking the speed limit. It's self-defeating.
and i think this is a very adequate comparison.

I don't think we lower the speed limit on a stretch of road to stop people from breaking the speed limit.

I think we do it to lower the <I>overall speed</I> on that stretch of road, because we know that that majority of law abiding citizen most likely will respect the law, and so the overall danger and noise of that stretch of road will go down - even if it won't stop the few percentage of people who don't care about the law.

So for me, this is why we need the ban on spanking: to reduce the overall number of law abiding citizen who used to spank, and will stop to do so, of their own accord and without any need for punishment, just because the law says so.

Last edited:

singledad

PF Addict
Oct 26, 2009
South Africa
parentastic said:
Through a ban on spanking, I am asking for children's rights to be respected as much as any other human being on the planet.
So, for me - the logic behind the ban is very different from an attempt to ban parent's practices that are harmful to children. For me, there is no slippery slope because the basis for this initiative is very clear cut: no other harmful parental practices, short of abuse itself, falls under the category of protecting human rights.
Thank you, that answers my question.

parentastic said:
I humbly and transparently recognize and admit this. I am no policy maker! Which is okay, since I am in no position to make these policies anyway. And I think you have an excellent point here, that any given law, especially this wide, will have consequences - side effects - that needs to be addressed carefully.
The reason I brought this up is that I've seen too many laws get pushed through in my country, without proper thought. Someone starts shouting about something, someone else takes it up, etc. Soon every emotional advocate is shouting, and the politicians are forced, it order to keep their voters happy, to draft a piece of legislation addressing this new "issue". That is why I consider it highly irresponsible to advocate for something without considering the consequences.

(Thank heavens for our constitution and a constitutional court who, thus far, has managed to withstand pressure from government, or we would have had some seriously screwed up laws by now. :rolleyes:)

parentastic said:
Pass the law, make it right. Make it mandatory to respect human being's fundamental rights. Then, deal with the consequences through new policies, social programs and education.
This is where I still have to differ from you, and I guess we may just have to agree to disagree.

I understand that I quoted only one study from one scientist. Unfortunately I have a job to do :p. I think I made my point though - that it isn't as simple as just "let's outlaw spanking!". There are very real risks involved in such legislation.

If such a law is passed, it should only be AFTER a LOT more research has been done about exactly what caused those figures in Sweden, and once very, very tight measures can be put into place that will prevent even one extra child from being abused. See, perhaps I'm the hysterical one here, but if I have to choose between letting people, for the time being, continue to do something which, while it technically violates another person's human rights, has not exactly destroyed society as we know over the last several thousand years, and allowing even one child who would not otherwise have been abused, to be abused, I would choose the former. I would then use social programs and education to discourage spanking, until such time as a win-win solution can be found.

Perhaps I am hysterical. I'll certainly be the first to admit that in saying that, I can in no way claim to be objective. That is why I don't think we should continue to debate on that topic.

I would be interested to read the research you mentioned, though I don't know when I'd find the time. :rolleyes: I will pm you my e-mail address.

GavinH

PF Enthusiast
Aug 22, 2011
Fort Mill, SC
I must admit that I am very conflicted with regard to spanking children.

I believe that the laws are already in place to prevent abuse and more laws won't change anything.

The government is already intruding too far into my my personal life and taking away parents ability to make sound decisions. Next we will be in a discussion on whether co-sleeping should be outlawed as there is real evidence that children have been killed as a result of this.

I seem to see more and more situations where delinquent children are behaving badly without consequences. It seem that some(many) kids today understand that parents and teachers have legal limitations on what they can do and will push that boundary with threats to call DSS or similar.

Is the 'no spanking' approach to parenting a fad that will be shown to be the cause of issues in 20 years? I am pretty sure most baby boomers today were spanked as children and turned out pretty well. I'd suggest that there were fewer issues in the classroom and at home back then and we tend to look at them with respect and call them the 'greatest generation'. Not a bad result overall considering that spanking was OK.

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
parentastic said:
The concept of what is a crime or isn't a crime is a social construct, isn't it? From a legal standpoint, it's a crime once we, as a society, decide that it is a crime.

You have given me a lot of sarcasm, sneered responses, dubious analogy dabbing from slavery to the holocaust, have offered vague worries about what <I>might happen </I>while never giving any concrete examples; you have called me "laughable" and "simple minded", you have accused me of "getting on my horses" and have called my side of the debate "hysterical"... but I have yet to hear one serious, concrete, clear objection about this debate from you.

Say it becomes a crime to hit your child. Then what?

I am more than willing to concede that I am far from having any monopoly on morality. But could you at least provide some counterpart? <I>something? </I>anything? And you could <I>please</I> do it without the name calling and the personal attacks? I would be most thankful of you to stay respectful.
Excuse me for "name calling" but I count casting aspersions much more offensive so please get off your high horse.

YOU have said that spanking is not a crime in America, for example, where it isn't illegal, only misguided. Whether or not we have laws for things such as rape or murder, they are criminal acts, not misguided behavior. Now, I'm sure you are going to glom on to that one little example and make a mountain out of it, but my point is that I find it horrifying to try to engineer society by criminalizing "misguided" behavior, especially "misguided behavior" of parents who are trying their best to meet a responsibility that is life or death in a very real way and is NOT and never will be the responsibility of the law or you or anyone else.

I also find it moot to try to stop parents from affecting their children in the way that you believe (and I accept to a point) spanking affects children. I know a child who lost a pet and is now, as a result, diagnosed with Post Truamatic Stress Disorder. The point is, if I tell my child she can't have an IPhone when all of her friends do, it might have the same affect that spanking does. You don't know that it doesn't. No one has done the research. That is an extreme example, but every day parents make misguided decisions. I cannot catelog all the possibilities of ways that we can negatively affect our children's psyches. You can talk a child to death as well as not talk to them enough. It's not a science, even if you think it is. It's parents knowing their children, doing their best, making mistake after mistake after mistake, and children developing not in spite of that but because of it.

The inquisition was politically correct. If you want to educate people, you DO NOT criminalize the target behavior. I can't think of a worse way to go about it, though that is not my greatest concern about this.

Last edited:

NancyM

PF Addict
Jul 2, 2010
New York
MomoJA said:
Excuse me for "name calling" but I count casting aspersions much more offensive so please get off your high horse.

YOU have said that spanking is not a crime in America, for example, where it isn't illegal, only misguided. Whether or not we have laws for things such as rape or murder, they are criminal acts, not misguided behavior. Now, I'm sure you are going to glom on to that one little example and make a mountain out of it, but my point is that I find it horrifying to try to engineer society by criminalizing "misguided" behavior, especially "misguided behavior" of parents who are trying their best to meet a responsibility that is life or death in a very real way and is NOT and never will be the responsibility of the law or you or anyone else.

I also find it moot to try to stop parents from affecting their children in the way that you believe (and I accept to a point) spanking affects children. I know a child who lost a pet and is now, as a result, diagnosed with Post Truamatic Stress Disorder. The point is, if I tell my child she can't have an IPhone when all of her friends do, it might have the same affect that spanking does. You don't know that it doesn't. No one has done the research. That is an extreme example, but every day parents make misguided decisions. I cannot catelog all the possibilities of ways that we can negatively affect our children's psyches. You can talk a child to death as well as not talk to them enough. It's not a science, even if you think it is. It's parents knowing their children, doing their best, making mistake after mistake after mistake, and children developing not in spite of that but because of it.

The inquisition was politically correct. If you want to educate people, you DO NOT criminalize the target behavior. I can't think of a worse way to go about it, though that is not my greatest concern about this.
I do agree that as parents we are bound to make misguided judgments and cause undo psychological stress to our children to some degree at some points in our lives, but I don't know Momoja, I'm not seeing the correlation with the examples you state above. Hitting a child is not the same emotionally as loosing a pet. Loosing a pet has nothing to do with the parent intentionally and deliberately causing physical pain and emotional stress on a child. Death is a part of life and a normal child will eventually come to terms. The stress caused by a parent physically hitting you is not the same. I don't need a study to tell me that.

Same with the iphone, If I were to agree with those examples as you do, than why not just smack your child before you tell her she can't have an iphone, what the heck. As you state,We have no proof the affect would be any worse.

My interpretation of Parentastic's term "misguided behavior" is that parents who were spanked as children, or raised in a more hostile environments may believe that hitting their children is the correct way to teach them. Many people still spank/hit children using belts, switches, paddles, and other nasty objects. They haven't been exposed to parenting classes or haven't learned from other people that there are other ways to enforce behavioral changes in children (and adults as well). so these parents are misguided.

Just my thoughts.

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
I see MomoJA's point and hope that you are all at least reading each others points with the intention of trying to understand. I Don't know that anyone is going to win this debate, so if that's a goal, I'd suggest we consider stopping it. It's an emmotionally charged isse and I think we can all agree that every action has degrees of effect on our shildren at what point our actions start to negatively affect their development and well being seems to be at the crux of the matter. While none of us in this discussion want to see our children hurt, we also don't want to be neglectful of our duties to guide, correct and modify inappropriate or dangerous behavior

I will say personally that this and other discussions like it have molded my views. I used to believe a spanking as okay to correct very serious situation especially one where the child is in danger, I now see that there are potential side effeccts I may not want and there may be other more caring, more effective methods. I'm also prone to raising my voice, and I see how my children now raise their voices when they are annoyed or feel they must correct a situation, we're trying to change that, so I think that makes a good case for trying to find positive methods of correcting behavior.

So, just trying to say that even though we don't agree or may not be satisfied with the depth of any given "argument" our purpose here is not to absoutelly resolve, once and for all to spank or not to spank for all people at all times, it is to examine our behavior and try to be mindful of our responsibilites.

justsome perspective I wanted to share.

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
MomoJA said:
I had to go to my dictionnary to find out what "aspersions" means (english is not my native language) and it says: "an attack on someone's character or reputation".
I am not sure, MomoJA, why you feel that way. You have an opinion, and some deep and valid concerns about this issue. You have voiced them, and I have offered counter logical and clear arguments as a response. I have never attacked your reputation - neighter as a parent nor as a human being. I try to focus my responses to your arguments - not to yourself, who you are or what you did. None the less, you seem to find that offensive.

I think we <I>both</I> deserve to be heard, and to be respected in our rights to hold and express our position.

MomoJA said:
I find it horrifying to try to engineer society by criminalizing "misguided" behavior. Every day parents make misguided decisions. I cannot catelog all the possibilities of ways that we can negatively affect our children's psyches.
As i said already several times when responding both to you and to singledad, as far as I am concerned, the criminalizing of spanking has to do with how <I>this practice violates the basic human rights of children</I>. It's not, has never been, will never be an attempt at controlling how parents do their parenting jobs. It's not either an attempt at shielding children for every possible affect that is as meaningful than spanking - although the consequences of spanking are very, very profound and perhaps I'll start another thread about this at some point.

MomoJA said:
The point is, if I tell my child she can't have an IPhone when all of her friends do, it might have the same affect that spanking does. You don't know that it doesn't. No one has done the research.
If you really want to analyze the affect of spanking as opposed to removal of a privilege, actually, yes, there are studies about this - plenty of them in fact, several hundreds. The scientific consensus about this is very clear. The way spanking affects children on the short, medium and long term, as opposed to a loss of a privilege, has been studied in an incredible amount of different ways by thousands of various psychologist and researcher in the field of human science, in many many countries around the globe, in the course of the past few decades. I realize it may sound puzzling to think researcher have had clear answers about such a pointy topic - and I think prior to my formation, I might have reacted just like you. But we really have made giant steps of progress in the knowledge of child rearing in the past decade. I mean this in very transparent way - not from any high horse, but because it is genuinely true.

Of course, this assumes that the purpose of legislating on spanking is to stop similar affects from traumatizing children. Which is not the case in the first place. See above for my response (for the 3rd time) about this.

One more thing: the limit between spanking and child abuse is fuzzy. It's delicate and difficult to determine <I>where</I> this limit is, but we do know that too much or too harsh a spanking - and each person's opinion on this may vary - <I>is</I> child abuse.
On the flip side, removing your child's cell phone privileges can <I>never</I> be child abuse. So there are clear differences between these two examples. Legislating on a practice that <U>both</U> violates a child's basic human rights, <U>and</U> may lead to child abuse depending on people's definitions and opinions, makes a lot more sense than, say, legislating on any other peculiar parental practice.

MomoJA said:
It's not a science, even if you think it is.
:confused: Okay, I guess you know better than the child care professionals, the thousands of researchers and scientists, the America Psychological Association and pretty much every university in the world who actually teaches that stuff... what can I tell you? :eek:
You see, I really do not want to be casting aspersions, but what I am supposed to do with this kind of affirmation? We'll just agree to disagree on that then, I guess.

Last edited:

MomoJA

PF Fiend
Feb 18, 2011
parentastic said:
:confused: Okay, I guess you know better than the child care professionals, the thousands of researchers and scientists, the America Psychological Association and pretty much every university in the world who actually teaches that stuff... what can I tell you? :eek:
You see, I really do not want to be casting aspersions, but what I am supposed to do with this kind of affirmation? We'll just agree to disagree on that then, I guess.
Yes, I'll say it again, parenting is not a science. If you believe it is you are doomed to failure as a parent, I'm sorry to say.

Casting aspersions is an idiom.

"I don't want to assume anything about you , but could it be that you . . . could it be? Are you sure it could not be . . . ? = casting aspersions

"What are you afraid of?" "hiding something" etc. = casting aspersions

I wasn't talking about removing privileges when I gave the example of denying an Iphone. I'll say it this one last time. No one knows how a child is going to react to anything. I've had friends despise their parents because all they wanted to do was "talk about sh*t." They never "just put their foot down." Etc. I've had friends tell "horror stories" of how their mother ruined their lives for things such as giving their cousin their grandmother's ring. I could go on and on and on. So focusing on spanking is moot, in my opinion, even if it were remotely necessary.

You have specifically stated on more than one occasion that you thought spanking should be illegal so that parents would learn not to do it and to teach parents, etc., and when I asked, you stated that spanking was not criminal but misguided and that making it a illegal would make parents stop it.

I can accept that as you have gone into more and more detail in your responses, your argument has become more focused and you sincerely feel that it should be a crime not to "teach society" but because it is a criminal act, and if that is the case, while I heartily disagree with you, I don't find that way of thinking frightening. As it was that frightening attitude that got me so involved in this debate in the first place, three threads ago, if you don't support that way of "educating" about spanking, then the argument is nothing more than that you think spanking is an offense akin to other criminal offenses, and I think it is not. We can agree to disagree about that.

I still say criminalization is a hysterical reaction and I am confident history will support my side on this. I also think that the difference between spanking and abuse is like the difference between sex and rape in the sense that they are on the same spectrum but the difference is vast, and anyone who has been raped would know the difference. Anyone who has been abused knows the difference between spanking and abuse.

And now I drop out of this debate.

Last edited:

RegalSin

Banned
Sep 3, 2011
That was not too bad, of an punishment. Quite normal for most people. While I disagree in a modern future home, that method would never work.

The question is why was she banging on the neighbors door? That in itself is an innocent act, and does not deserve any hit of any sort.

Anyways the football guy is already aknowledge that he relationship with his daughter is weak.

The image of her and him together looks erie. Like two mad people, and his arm is oddly loose and not close around her.
It could have been worst. She could have ran for the weapon or ran away. However in that case his carrer would have been better off, and she would be ducking out with somebody.

This is why you don't let children watch television anymore, and you get all the dates when they get told about blah blah stuff that gave her the idea to call whatever.

Ultraparent

Sep 12, 2011
Yeah I think that you need to find a balance between disciplining and being assertive. I'm going to start a new thread on this issue guys so please keep an eye out for it. Hopefully we can all contribute and come up with some useful ideas and alternatives to spanking.