Father slaps Daughter!...

parentastic

PF Fiend
Jul 22, 2011
Canada
MomoJA, I am happy that we found a place where we can agree to disagree. I am not here to make an enemy of anyone, even if we may have opposed views on different things.
Since my work is unlikely to change anything in US policies, I hope you will agree that however "hysterical" you may feel it is, it is unlikely to change your personal life in any way, shape or form soon.

MomoJA said:
I still say criminalization is a hysterical reaction and I am confident history will support my side on this.
I feel just the same way about my own views - and so far, with 27 countries having banned spanking, I feel quite confident it's already the case.

MomoJA said:
I also think that the difference between spanking and abuse is like the difference between sex and rape in the sense that they are on the same spectrum but the difference is vast, and anyone who has been raped would know the difference. Anyone who has been abused knows the difference between spanking and abuse.
Agreed on the principle. It's the fuzzy limit between the two that is difficult and delicate. However, there is a major difference, because sex between two consenting adults is a great and wonderful thing, even if rape is a heinous and terrible thing; on the flip side, spanking is <I>at best</I> a questionable and ineffective practice, and at worst can fall into abuse (depending on the definition).
Therefore, having sex seems like a worth-it idea for its clear benefits, while spanking seems like a bad idea even when it's not <I>that </I>bad - and it has the <I>potential </I>to be terrible, too.

There are a lot of people I know who were beaten by their parents and who know for sure that they were abused; yet their parents are sure they were not abusing them and were only "spanking" them... it's all in the perspective of the one who does it, because the child doesn't have his word to say about it.

There is also something I'd like to add about the social engineering, but I'll start a new thread for that.

Last edited:

samantha-Miller

Sep 30, 2011
Spanking is not good for any child. We as parents need to communicate more with our children and try to discipline them using other effective methods.

alter ego

PF Enthusiast
Oct 6, 2011
the bush, Australia
i have never and will never strike my children. i was never hit as a child. we learnt through parental modelling, logical consequences, and being encouraged to self regulate our behaviour.
thisis how we are raising our family and so far no dramas (we have 6 kids oldest is 12)

shanequA

Banned
Jan 27, 2012
Well my hubby slap my kid upside the face all the time, my kid jus tdoing bad in school, thats all