For All You Who Text and Drive...

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
Xero said:
He didn't lose a child, 16th ave.

http://www.parentingforums.org/f8/spent-last-week-hospital-8848.html[/URL]

Some a-hole drove by and hit his son while he was riding his bike and didn't even stop to see if he was okay and live up to his crime. It was pretty messed up, and the poor kid is really hurt bad. But thankfully nobody died.

oh.
thanks for that reminder. think i even replied in the thread. my mistake. only explanation for it is the nasty heat and humidity and everything else that's going on down here right now. things are pretty crazy.

jeremy. still sorry. hope your son is well on his way to mending.

iadad, don't know whether to laugh or cry at that one.:confused::twitcy:

all those statistics or whatever the heck they are pretty much nothing but bull. you still can't necessarily go by them. each and every person is affected differently by alcohol and each/every person is affected differently when they are using a cell phone while driving. you can give any two people the same amount and it will definitely impair their ?motor skills? differently. any screwing with of the ?motor skills? from cell phone use is only distraction. a person's mind aint messed up unless you can call them crazy and stupid for using a cell phone while driving.
a person's mind is ?impaired? with one and only distracted with the other.
the only possible ?similarity? or whatever is that both are very dangerous to do while driving and can/most likely cause serious accident, injury, possibly even death.

dadu, feel free to edit/delete any of this post as you feel needed. thanks.

mom2many

Super Moderator
Jul 3, 2008
melba, Idaho
IADad said:
I'm feeling a sudden urge to....darn, I can't even make the snarky comment I really really want to because I know fallon or Dadu are going to remind me not too...(it had something to do with Tea though.....)

I DON'T GET IT :veryconfused:

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
mom2many said:
I DON'T GET IT :veryconfused:
sorry it would be rude for me to say more, and probably to have said anything at all...PM me if you really want to know.

LilNiko

Jan 23, 2009
california
I don't text and drive or talk on the phone and drive. There has been a ban in California about driving and talking on the phone, so people have now started to text ALOT. I see it several times. Sometimes people will have the cell phone on the wheel and text. It's like the ban one thing then people start doing something that takes more time to do which is even more dangerous. I actually did a school presentation on text messaging and this topic was part of the presentation.

Mrsrogers

Jun 22, 2009
texting while driving is a pet peeve of mine. I came very close to being killed when a teenager crossed the middle line and came into my lane. I swerved out of her way, and ended up in a ditch. I was driving a SUV and had the kids in the back - I was not only very upset but very angry that someone could be so selfish that they would place others in harm's way. :mad:

I called the police and this girl, who turned out to be a visting au pair from france, was ticketed. she was crying and saying she was sorry, but I could not feel any other emotion towards her except anger.

Au pairs should know better as they take care of children all day long. If you have an au pair please tell them to watch the road, it is hard enough for them to manage driving American cars, which are larger than their little European ones, but then to TEXT while driving - unbelievable!

We have many au pairs in our development and they are not good drivers!

Research online and copy out some scare articles for them (like the one posted here ) and some advice articles, like driving tips from aupairclearinghouse.com and get them on board with respecting our laws and our right to live and drive safetly on the roads!! Please educate your au pairs parents!!

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
An au pair is a live in nanny, sometimes they clean your home as well. I would never use a phone while driving, it isn't worth putting my own life at risk or that of other road users.

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
Xero said:
What the heck is an au pair? lol
lol, we dont make enough money to even understand the concept. Basically you pay someone to rear your children so you can live your life as if you had none.

16th ave.

PF Addict
Jan 4, 2009
East Texas
ha ha, now aint that something. i'd heard of those critters. but never thought i'd ever come across one. it's almost like finding a jackalope!:eek: lol

jk, i aint that much redneck.:p

ElliottCarasDad

PF Addict
Sep 10, 2008
Iowa
I had a classic today. I have about a 13 mile drive to work, 95% of which is all 2-lane country highway, nothing but corn. Well on my way back I come up on a guy on a motorcycle (no helmet - not required) going slower and as I pass I notice that the clown is texting while driving!
This is almost in the same spot that 2 days prior about a 5lb pheasant had hit my windshield and shattered it, almost coming inside the car. I can only imagine what it would have done to a bike.

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
ElliottCarasDad said:
lol, we dont make enough money to even understand the concept. Basically you pay someone to rear your children so you can live your life as if you had none.

What? That's stupid. Why bother having kids in the first place if you're going to do that? Even if I had all the money in the world I would trade it all away just to be with my children as much as possible, not use it to be able to stay away from them. That's something I will never understand. Its a very selfish concept, in my opinion. I don't need anybody else raising my own kids.

That is so lazy and uncaring.

fiveallmine

Jul 19, 2009
canada
I used to know someone who would read a book while highway driving!!!!Some people have forgotten what a privilege it is to be able to drive!

Rosa

PF Enthusiast
Jun 30, 2009
Wales
Where I live someone was caught watching films on a portable dvd player while driving a lorry! My brother is a policeman, he has come across some very strange things drivers do while driving, a lot of it is far from 12a as well!

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Soooo, DW called me on her way home last night...so for those of you keeping score at home she was talking on the phone, (and not using her bluetooth ) and in the midst of discussion she say's, "Oh, my boss just replied to my email...so, she had checked her blackberry....while driving and talking on the other phone...I chewed her out for that and am strongly reviewing my own phone habits...I have a 3 mi commute. I think I can wait to get a message. Plus I think about the habits we're teaching children...

So consider me a convert (I never texted, but I frequently drove and phoned) I will be curtailing that very much.

Anyway, the BIG think I wanted to post about, was that I was going to look up some scary stiff on the internet to scare her straight when she got home, and one article popped out at me and it was about the cost of driving distracted rather than the danger.

So, for those not overly concerned about the danger consider that if you have an accident and the insurance company finds out you were texting (or perhaps even talking on the phone depending on your local laws) they could refuse to pay for the accident and leave you with your repair bill, the person you hit, and any medical expenses or other liability....maybe that shock to the pocket book will affect some poepl otherwise willing to pass it off....

IADad

Super Moderator
Feb 23, 2009
Iowa
Rosa said:
Where I live someone was caught watching films on a portable dvd player while driving a lorry! My brother is a policeman, he has come across some very strange things drivers do while driving, a lot of it is far from 12a as well!

Yeah, here in the US, there was a football player caught, not only watching films, but watching adult films while driving...and he was doing his best to "fully appreciate" the films (pants around his ankles and all)...suffice to say no "hands free devices" were not in use either....

Dadu2004

PF Visionary
May 16, 2008
Cleveland, OH
IADad said:
Yeah, here in the US, there was a football player caught, not only watching films, but watching adult films while driving...and he was doing his best to "fully appreciate" the films (pants around his ankles and all)...suffice to say no "hands free devices" were not in use either....
ewww

Xero

PF Deity
Mar 20, 2008
PA
Wow you'd think that would be so much easier to do at home lol. Maybe its some kind of fetish.