I'm never eating again!...

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
The check out lady at Wal-Mart asked how far along I was. I almost cried. I know she was kinda "slow" and I had on a maternity-like shirt, but come on! After I told her that I wasn't pregnant she replied, "It must be hard to get rid of that little bubble." I'm so upset! I didn't want to complain to the manager because she a special needs person and that would be mean. Thanks for ruining my day. :mad:

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
omg what an idiot! I got that one time when I had a baby doll top on and I was sitting down a lady said "god bless you and your baby to be" and I yanked my shirt up and said "I'm not pg!" hahaha
Don't let it get to you. I would have come back with "I'm not, how far along are you?" Gotta love slow people. I've never seen your whole body but you don't look fat hun.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
:eek: Wow! That wouldn't have made my day either, but please consider the source. Obviously this person doesn't have very much social grace, <I>and </I>isn't aware babydoll tops are in style. Babydoll tops sometime appear like a maternity top. That's probably what threw her off. ;) Lissa, I've seen your pics. You have no worries! {{{HUGS}}}

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
The check out lady at Wal-Mart asked how far along I was. I almost cried. I know she was kinda "slow" and I had on a maternity-like shirt, but come on! After I told her that I wasn't pregnant she replied, "It must be hard to get rid of that little bubble." I'm so upset! I didn't want to complain to the manager because she a special needs person and that would be mean. Thanks for ruining my day. :mad:
I am sorry Lissa, but I find that to be a very funny story. Not laughing at you, but because the few times I have been to Walmart or other similar discount stores, I have encountered people who are clueless about how to conduct themselves professionally. It is not they are bad people or mean any harm, they often have very minimal professional skills.

One example I have seen is two checkout clerks chatting with each other about their personal lives right in front of customers. "<I>My husband got arrested last week for drunk driving, that's the third time this year. He's got a drinking problem...."</I>

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
I think they are good hearted people, but Walmart pays very very low wages and often is the starting point for people for any number of reasons. Personally anyone who is holding down a job is doing good for their family because Walmart pay is barely a step up from what a person can get on welfare. I suspect that some of the employees have been on welfare in the past and it might be their first real job they have ever had, even if they are in their 30s or 40s.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
I hope no one on the board works at Wal Mart. They might as well quit and go back on welfare.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
jtee said:
I think they are good hearted people, but Walmart pays very very low wages and often is the starting point for people for any number of reasons. Personally anyone who is holding down a job is doing good for their family because Walmart pay is barely a step up from what a person can get on welfare. I suspect that some of the employees have been on welfare in the past and it might be their first real job they have ever had, even if they are in their 30s or 40s.
Jtee can you move this part to the debate section, if possible.

Since when is having low income and excuse for education or courtesy?
Public school is free.

jrrsmom

PF Fiend
Nov 10, 2007
That's just like saying low income people have an excuse to be dirty and smell. Dollar General sells soap AND shampoo. I know...crazy concept.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
This woman was visibly mentally handicap. That's why I didn't complain about her. I think it's great that special needs people can get jobs. She is a very nice woman, just sometimes overly talkative.

1dayatatime

PF Addict
Oct 3, 2007
AZ
Lissa said:
This woman was visibly mentally handicap. That's why I didn't complain about her. I think it's great that special needs people can get jobs.
I totally agree with you Lissa. How much is that special needs person getting away with though? My four yo knows not to saythings like that and she couldn't work at Walmart.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
1dayatatime said:
I totally agree with you Lissa. How much is that special needs person getting away with though? My four yo knows not to saythings like that and she couldn't work at Walmart.
That's a very good point.

jtee

Banned
Jun 24, 2007
Lissa said:
This woman was visibly mentally handicap. That's why I didn't complain about her. I think it's great that special needs people can get jobs.
My thinking exactly. Having a job is a good thing for many reasons other than just the $$$$ it brings home.

Not too long ago we went out to eat and too a movie. We had dinner at a fast food restaurant next to the movie theater. As we were eating we saw a boy maybe 5-6 sitting alone in a booth with some toys and coloring book. We became concerned after about 5-10 minutes because no adult returned to the table. Then maybe after 10-15 minutes a female employee came from behind the counter and talked to the boy and it became clear she was his mother.

I was impressed and sadden by it. Here is a woman who is working in a fast food restaurant, and for whatever reasons that day, nobody could look after her son while she was had to work. I was impressed because she could have called in sick and stayed home. Anyway, the mother was doing her best, and her best (that day) was that she had to work at fast food restaurant and look after her son at the same time. My guess is that it was an exception and this only happen that 1 time, or rarely otherwise her bosses would have told her she can't do that every time she worked.

Jester

Mar 22, 2008
Lissa said:
This woman was visibly mentally handicap. That's why I didn't complain about her. I think it's great that special needs people can get jobs. She is a very nice woman, just sometimes overly talkative.
You did the right thing Lissa, people make mistakes. Obviously, you identified this person was "special needs" and that had something to do with it.

1dayatatime said:
Well lots of kids say things they probably shouldn't, it happens, it's normal. So do "special needs" people, Lissa handled it well.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
jtee said:
My thinking exactly. Having a job is a good thing for many reasons other than just the $$$$ it brings home.

Not too long ago we went out to eat and too a movie. We had dinner at a fast food restaurant next to the movie theater. As we were eating we saw a boy maybe 5-6 sitting alone in a booth with some toys and coloring book. We became concerned after about 5-10 minutes because no adult returned to the table. Then maybe after 10-15 minutes a female employee came from behind the counter and talked to the boy and it became clear she was his mother.

I was impressed and sadden by it. Here is a woman who is working in a fast food restaurant, and for whatever reasons that day, nobody could look after her son while she was had to work. I was impressed because she could have called in sick and stayed home. Anyway, the mother was doing her best, and her best (that day) was that she had to work at fast food restaurant and look after her son at the same time. My guess is that it was an exception and this only happen that 1 time, or rarely otherwise her bosses would have told her she can't do that every time she worked.
Why find it sad? My Dr brings his kids in the office all the time. I know alot of people who bring their kids to work. Sometimes kids love it. I'd rather bring my kids to work then leave them with a sitter. You shouldn't base your beliefs on what you think....instead, find out and know before jumping to assumptions.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
jrrsmom said:
I hope no one on the board works at Wal Mart. They might as well quit and go back on welfare.
No doubt right? Consider the source jrrsmom.