milk qeustion...

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
OK so as we get closer to taking Logan off the formula I'm thinking more about what to replace it with...help me out...I need opinons not fights but if need be I can move this to the debate section...lol

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
I would say it is up to you.
They reccomend children under2 to have whole milk if you are going to go the cow milk route. I just switched Nichole to low fat.
I personally only do organic for her (of course if we go out she has regular cow milk).
Cow milk is not the best thing in the world to drink according to many studies, but... its not the worst thing either.
We also do almond milk as well for her. SHe loves the flavour and it is alos good for her.
I don't think soy is good for children, and many kids don't like the taste of rice milk

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
Uh....you replace formula with whole milk. :)
I know but not all kids can tolerate the whole milk, and not all mothers choice to go this way. I'm really just looking for options that have worked for others when whole milk isn't working

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
we buy organic 1% for the house now. Any ideas on why whole milk is better if they are able to get the fat from other sources?

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
nope, milk is the go to thing that America passes off as the ultimate toddler nutrition. It is easy for a doctor to tell a parent to give your kid whole milk (it has iron, Vit. D, calcium, Vit A and a bunch of other things) then to tell a parent to make sure your kid is eating healthy.
I say if you are a milk drinker, then try the milk and see how it goes. If you are not much of one, consider other sources for his nutrition.

Lissa

PF Visionary
Sep 12, 2007
fallon said:
I know but not all kids can tolerate the whole milk, and not all mothers choice to go this way. I'm really just looking for options that have worked for others when whole milk isn't working
Hm. Well I've heard of soy milk and almond milk. I would rather have Oliver on either of those but they are just too expensive.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Definitely a personal decision. That said, both my kids gradually transitioned to whole milk. Personally, I would speak with your doctor and do research before trying almond milk. Some doctors are now saying to avoid nut proteins until a child is at least 3, especially if there are any nut allergies in your family. Three, because a child is old enough to communicate an allergic reaction by then. Both my kids have life threatening nut allergies, so this is a sensitive topic for me.

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
I was considering sticking to 1% organic...he's a VERY good eater and we eat fairly healthy.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
they are not bad at all. Stay away from soy though. Estrogen is not good to give to young children. My doc reccomended rice milk. Nichole did not like it (its kinda gritty) so we did almond milk. If you have nut allergies in the family though, its definatty not the way to go.
Its not that expensive at all.
1/2 gallon of regular cow milk is about 3 bucks. (from Target so Archer Farms brand)
1 box (1/4 gallon) is 2 bucks.
Nichole drinks about 1/2 gallon and a box a week

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Lissa said:
Hm. Well I've heard of soy milk and almond milk. I would rather have Oliver on either of those but they are just too expensive.
they really are...it's kinda crazy

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
fallon said:
I was considering sticking to 1% organic...he's a VERY good eater and we eat fairly healthy.
I would make sure he has exta sources of fat in his diet, such as advocado then it would be fine. They need the fat for brain developement. The brain grows a signifacant amount between 1 and 2

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
Kaytee said:
I would make sure he has exta sources of fat in his diet, such as advocado then it would be fine. They need the fat for brain developement. The brain grows a signifacant amount between 1 and 2
oh yeah...he loves avocado. It's fun to watch him eat them. I buy whole milk once in a great while. I transitioned DebraLyn to whole milk but I never knew why other than that she needed the good fats. I make sure to feed the family brain building fats and whole grains most of the time. We eat very well balanced meals and I buy healthy snacks and lots of fruits and veggies. (We still enjoy the unhealthy stuff too) I guess I'm just thinking that it isn't really necessary to buy whole milk just for him as long as he's getting the nutrition he needs from other places

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
From what I understand, babies need the fat content of whole milk for proper brain development. Our ped. recommends whole milk until 2. Actually, my DD (9) went back on whole milk last year because she's a skinny minnie.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
yay you don't "need" cow milk so you don't "need" the fat in it. As long as he is eating well, then don't be conserned

leland

PF Enthusiast
Feb 4, 2008
Memphis, TN
With the cost of milk these days, I wish i could just have a a few cows!. I recently went to the doctors for my 1 year old, and she advise me to give my little girl whole d milk. Not the other stuff because there are things inside the milk my baby needs to grow. So thats what i have been doing, but here in Memphis its 4.88 a gallon, and we go through like 3 gallons a week between all 6 of us.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
while I give my dd milk( I love milk myself) I hate when parents are told their child "needs" milk. Last I checked my daughter is not a baby cow and therefore does not "need" milk

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Kaytee said:
while I give my dd milk( I love milk myself) I hate when parents are told their child "needs" milk. Last I checked my daughter is not a baby cow and therefore does not "need" milk

Kaytee, I agree with you, but for the general public, milk is the easiest way for kids to get the nutrients they need. Not all families eat in a healthy manner and/or are aware of other sources of healthy fats. Milk is certainly much healthier than soda or sugar laden juice drinks.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
oh yay, thats what I put in an earlier post. Its just easier for docs to tell patients to give their children milk, after 12months of age. Part of me gets irritated at that for the same docs will go and tell their patients that a 12 month old doesn't need breastmilk anymore, but they "need" cows milk.

Trina

PF Addict
Jun 10, 2007
CT
Fortunately our ped. is pro breast feeding, and doesn't discourage nursing past a year. Of course, that's not an issue I need to worry about any more. LOL!