"Crying it out" method causes brain damage!...

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
antibacterial is good if used properly. Its not meant to kill everything all the time. Its something that is good in moderation. I use it sometimes. My uncle on the other hand uses it constantly. My aunt is always telling him to stop. But he is OCD and if food falls on the floor, he won't let the dog eat it (it was on the floor lol) but he will then give the dog a piece off the counter or whatever. He just doesn't want him eating it off the floor. Now that is OCD

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
Kaytee said:
antibacterial is good if used properly. Its not meant to kill everything all the time. Its something that is good in moderation. I use it sometimes. My uncle on the other hand uses it constantly. My aunt is always telling him to stop. But he is OCD and if food falls on the floor, he won't let the dog eat it (it was on the floor lol) but he will then give the dog a piece off the counter or whatever. He just doesn't want him eating it off the floor. Now that is OCD
I truly believe that the only good use of antibacterial soaps is for doctors before the surgery. And perhaps also for some skin doctors who touch a patient's skin without gloves (sometimes it does happen). [/SIZE]</SIZE>[/COLOR]

evilbrent

PF Addict
Sep 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
musicmom - I don't have a link or anything, but I did read a book on brain development in infants when my wife was pregnant with our first (I read _everything_) and, yeah, the neurochemical pathways that get formed in very very early infancy hardwire a person's basic ability to cope with stress.

There is compelling evidence that increased levels of stress hormones may cause permanent changes in the stress responses of the infant's developing brain. These changes then affect memory, attention, and emotion, and can trigger an elevated response to stress throughout life, including a predisposition to later anxiety and depressive disorders. English psychotherapist, Sue Gerhardt, author of <I>Why Love Matters: How Affection Shapes a Baby's Brain</I>, explains that when a baby is upset, the hypothalamus produces cortisol. In normal amounts cortisol is fine, but if a baby is exposed for too long or too often to stressful situations (such as being left to cry) its brain becomes flooded with cortisol and it will then either over- or under-produce cortisol whenever the child is exposed to stress. Too much cortisol is linked to depression and fearfulness; too little to emotional detachment and aggression.
- taken from http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/pinky_mckay.html

sounds pretty technical to me.

musicmom

PF Visionary
Dec 4, 2007
evilbrent said:
musicmom - I don't have a link or anything, but I did read a book on brain development in infants when my wife was pregnant with our first (I read _everything_) and, yeah, the neurochemical pathways that get formed in very very early infancy hardwire a person's basic ability to cope with stress.

- taken from http://www.naturalchild.org/guest/pinky_mckay.html

sounds pretty technical to me.
Ok so a baby can get mad or upset but not brain damaged. If that were the case then adults would be brain damaged from all the aggrevation we go through.
No study has taken an infant all the way to adulthood in any of these studies.
They can only study the brain study that is going on at that present time.

As I said before, I didn't do the CIO method but I also do not see a link to brain damage from crying it out that goes all the way into adulthood.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
twistertiger said:
OCD is a disorder not a adjective. and that action may be obsessive and compulsive but it wasn't a disorder.
No actually he is OCD, that is just one of the things. I didn't htink it was needed to add all of it

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
evilbrent said:
yeah - i think that calling it brain damage is a bit of an insult to those with actual brain damage... it's fair to call it impeded brain development.
I agree. Just like people with PTSD are not brain damaged

meow_173

PF Addict
Jan 3, 2008
Hamilton, Ontario
LOL if crying it out caused brain damage, then i would think that over half the population of people either have brain damage, or their parents would have been arrested for causing the damage in the first place.

Kaytee

PF Deity
Apr 9, 2007
Texas
meow_173 said:
LOL if crying it out caused brain damage, then i would think that over half the population of people either have brain damage, or their parents would have been arrested for causing the damage in the first place.
brain damage is not the right word for it BUT.... how many people are "clinically depressed" have bi-polar disorder, OCD, PTSD, and all those other things that it seems every other person has now a days?

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="meow_173;24928"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
meow_173 said:
&lt;/s&gt;LOL if crying it out caused brain damage, then i would think that over half the population of people either have brain damage, or their parents would have been arrested for causing the damage in the first place.&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
&lt;br/&gt;
&lt;FONT font="Times New Roman"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;COLOR color="darkred"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Well, we certainly are NOT talking about brain damage to the level of retardation here. It just screws your brain up a bit here, a bit there…&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

PreSchool Mama

PF Enthusiast
Jan 14, 2008
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="yulia;24983"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Well, we certainly are NOT talking about brain damage to the level of retardation here. It just screws your brain up a bit here, a bit there…&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/SIZE]</SIZE>&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/SIZE&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/FONT]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/FONT&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;

Well, now we know who was left to cry it out.&lt;/r&gt;

yulia

Banned
Jan 25, 2008
Lafayette, CO
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="PreSchool Mama;25002"&gt;&lt;s&gt;
PreSchool Mama said:
&lt;/s&gt;Please do. I am really worried for those tandem feeding...&lt;e&gt;
&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
&lt;COLOR color="black"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Well, my son figured that he could use all the boobies he can get at this stage, since it all gets downhill from here and by the time he’s 16, he'll have to work REALLY hard in order to get one&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt; &lt;E&gt;;)&lt;/E&gt; &lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;/r&gt;

fallon

Super Moderator
Jul 19, 2007
Michigan
&lt;r&gt;&lt;QUOTE author="yulia;25010"&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;&lt;B&gt;&lt;s&gt;&lt;/s&gt;Well, my son figured that he could use all the boobies he can get at this stage, since it all gets downhill from here and by the time he’s 16, he'll have to work REALLY hard in order to get one&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/B&gt;&lt;e&gt;&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt; &lt;E&gt;;)&lt;/E&gt; &lt;e&gt;[/COLOR]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/COLOR&gt;&lt;e&gt;[/quote]&lt;/e&gt;&lt;/QUOTE&gt;
lol &lt;E&gt;:)&lt;/E&gt;&lt;/r&gt;